Old 11-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I bought my 2010 single-axle 20ft FC because I got a great deal, and have trailered across the US several times (on the stock Goodyear radials)...this spring I'll switch to the 16" Michelins based on what I hear here (advice on which types please). But I have to admit...the worry about a blowout is ever present. AS Wantebe...buy a model with twin axles. You'll worry less. jon

Old 11-23-2014, 11:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Catastrophic tire failure on a single axle trailer is likely to cause a dangerous loss of control and can be very expensive.

Catastrophic tire failure on a tandem axle trailer can be costly but rarely causes a loss of control.
"likely to cause loss of control . . ."

I don't think this is true at all and needlessly suggests fear for the many who tow single axle trailers. Could you substantiate this?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:41 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS Wantabe View Post
Hello, I am rookie when it comes to towing a trailer. I am still a few years away from retiring and spending my kids inheritance money but I like to do alot of research before buying a big ticket item like an Airstream. So my first of many questions is, what is easier to tow, maneuver, control and most importantly back up, single or duel axle trailer's? Thank you for any kind help!
Single or dual axle was not the deciding factor when purchasing our AS, but rather size and layout. Yes, I have always heard that duals tow and back easier than singles, and the longer the trailer the easier it backs. With a proper tow vehicle and hitch set-up both the single and dual axle AS's, with a little practice, are easy to tow, easily maneuvered and stable.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
I bought my 2010 single-axle 20ft FC because I got a great deal, and have trailered across the US several times (on the stock Goodyear radials)...this spring I'll switch to the 16" Michelins based on what I hear here (advice on which types please). But I have to admit...the worry about a blowout is ever present. AS Wantebe...buy a model with twin axles. You'll worry less. jon
I'm very happy with the tires described in this Michelin Thread.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
Axle Dragging Devices

Our 1967 22-ft. Safari came stock from the factory with the shown axle dragging devices. If the tire goes flat these devices will not allow the the tire to go all the way down to the rim. This COULD/MAYBE save damage to the airstream aluminum and the tire rim itself. It would be possible that if the tire deflated and could not go down all the way to the rim MAYBE the tire would not "shred" and not do as much collateral damage. I am replacing the axle and plan on reinstalling.

There is a down side. One has to recognize you have a flat tire fairly quickly. I would imagine that if your were to be dragging one of these down the interstate at 65MPH they wouldn't last very long. In one instance we were driving through a campground and I drove one airstream wheels off the edge of the paved roadway. The gravel at the edge of the pavement had been washed away and I heard a dragging noise. I just got everything back on the pavement and all was good.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06684.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	227283   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06686.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	227284  

Old 11-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
We notice the difference between single and dual axles when we back our AS into our concrete driveway. Since the two tires do not follow the same arc in a turn, we always leave strong marks and sometimes bits of rubber where the tires turn while positioning the trailer.

You can also notice the same in your tracks in fresh dirt while parking in unimproved CG. The dirt allows the tires to slide more in the turn and don't have them grabbing - as on asphalt / concrete.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Buy the floorplan your really like and if it happens to have a single axle then learn to live with it. I didn't let my single axle Casita trailer prevent that from enjoying it. Purchase better tires then than GYM and buy a TPMS to monitor the tires. Check the tires at each fuel stop for wear issues. Another good thing about single axle is 2 tires are cheaper to buy than 4 tires.

Kelvin
Old 11-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #36
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
When I purchased our 1997 25' Safari (bought it used in 2012) my biggest concern was in having reliable tires. When I researched trailer tires I found so many horror stories about catastrophic failures resulting in damage, I was really concerned. The wheels (dual axle) on the Safari are 14", which limits me to trailer tires as I cannot get LT tires for them. I found that many tires of the 14" diameter are made in China and and I frankly do not trust the quality of Chinese products UNTIL proven based on what I read. I eventually purchased 4 new MAXXIS tires which I found through hours of researching. They are made in Thailand and have good reviews overall. They are pricier than most in the 14" size but price is not my concern - safety is.
I think there are a few factors relating to tire safety and performance that we should stay aware of.
In my opinion, these are the critical ones:

1) Towing speed should be kept below 60mph. Speed limit signs often state a 55mph limit for towed vehicles. What's the hurry anyway?

2) Frequent monitoring of tire pressure and condition - always check before moving. When I stop for fuel or after a long downgrade run, I will feel the wheels and tires to get feedback on heat and look to see if the tires are equally inflated.

3) Do not run on tires more than 4-5 years old.

We have towed 7,500 miles this year and have had no trailer tire flats. Had a screw in the TV tire which we had repaired at Costco.
We are running Michelin LTX A/T2 tires on it

I had considered a tire pressure monitoring system earlier, but having read some posts here, I think I'll just stay fastidious about tire condition and towing speed and should be fine.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
"likely to cause loss of control . . ."

I don't think this is true at all and needlessly suggests fear for the many who tow single axle trailers. Could you substantiate this?
Doug...I have two acquaintances with 20 foot Airstreams that experienced this, one at the top of the Tejon Pass on I5 north of LA two weeks ago and another last winter near the top of the Tehachapi's on Hwy 58 in Southern California. The former turned completely around and faced on-coming traffic, destroyed tire and wheel. The later managed to make it to the shoulder in a driving rain storm. Fortunately, he was traveling at 40mph on the steep down grade because of the weather. Both were running GYMs.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Doug...I have two acquaintances with 20 foot Airstreams that experienced this, one at the top of the Tejon Pass on I5 north of LA two weeks ago and another last winter near the top of the Tehachapi's on Hwy 58 in Southern California. The former turned completely around and faced on-coming traffic, destroyed tire and wheel. The later managed to make it to the shoulder in a driving rain storm. Fortunately, he was traveling at 40mph on the steep down grade because of the weather. Both were running GYMs.
Yes, but the first was probably due to uncontrolled sway, quite possibly initiated by sidewind at the top of the pass, rather than a flat tire. I've seen this end-around on my friend's 28' Airstream as well as another's fifth wheel, had nothing to do with tires. The second example is unclear, he had a flat in driving rain and pulled over to the side.

We traveled with a 20' single axle Airstream, and have had flats on boat trailers but I never suspected or felt loss of control. Perhaps we should discuss it more if it is a real concern.

Has anyone else seen a "loss of control" accident due to a flat tire on a single axle trailer?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
The first guy lost control when the GYM tire blew and wheel broke apart. He felt that he wouldn't have done a 180 at the top of the Tejon Pass otherwise.

The second guy felt very lucky to get to the side of the road after his GYM blew.

I'm just passing on incident descriptions from those involved.

I put 10,000 miles on a 2013 International 19 with 16" Michelin LT tires. I decided to go that route after hearing of incidents first hand from people who experienced GYM blowouts. I loved my 19 for many reasons and wouldn't necessarily avoid single axle Airstream. However, I'd certainly recommend the tire/wheel upgrade to anyone contemplating a new or used single axle.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #40

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I currently have 3 Airstreams in my yard so I do a bunch of swapping places. A small, single axle can be twisted into spots where a larger tandem is difficult to park and a triple axle just won't swing into. Nothing to do with the # of axles, just a length thing. Controlling one is exactly the opposite, the triple is very well mannered and usually plops into a space in a single try while backing the short trailer looks like a blindfolded drunk duck waddling side to side.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes, we have a small single axle utility trailer and can back it into any little space because it's short. But it reacts to steering corrections quickly, very quickly, and that is the problem for some. You get used to a single axle Airstream and can put it anywhere as well.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
...snip....

We traveled with a 20' single axle Airstream, and have had flats on boat trailers but I never suspected or felt loss of control. Perhaps we should discuss it more if it is a real concern.

Has anyone else seen a "loss of control" accident due to a flat tire on a single axle trailer?
I have been pulling trailers of many sizes for 45 years, and have had tires go flat, at speed on both single axle and tandem axle trailers. I should probably not admit it, but some of this towing was at speeds that were, shall we say, "excessive".
In all cases, I was able to safely pull to the side of the road with no loss of control. In every case, the tire was totally, completely shredded by the time I got stopped.

While I do prefer tandem axle trailers, it has more to do with added load carry capacity than anything else.