Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #21
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
My single-axle experience was pretty traumatic. We bought a '71 Caravel 18 back in the 90's - the trailer was over 20 years old. It had the original wheels, which were not airtight, so the bias-ply tires had to run with tubes. Once we were on the road and had our first flat, I discovered that the wheels were very rusty inside, and the rust was chafing holes in the tubes. After a couple of flats, and unable to find replacement wheels while on the road, I had both tires dismounted and spent about two hours in a tire shop somewhere in west Texas grinding all the rust off the wheels. That helped me get on with our trip, but when we were back on the west coast, we had another flat while sitting in a campground - didn't notice it until we retracted the leveling jacks.

I jacked the trailer up and pulled the wheel, and headed into town to get it fixed. The kid at the service station took the wheel into the shop and came back about five minutes later with the wheel and said "all fixed." I said, "Boy, you can sure fix a tube-type tire in a hurry!" He gave me a deer-in-the-headlights look, and said, "Tube?" Hoo boy. So back he went, and this time the wheel came back with a new tube.

Then, a month or so later, we were headed east over the mountains on I-8 east of San Diego when that tire went to pieces. It was on the curb side, and it blew completely apart, and the trailer came down on the rim, and we headed for the ditch. I managed to stop OK - a truly brown shorts moment - and found all the banana wrap behind the wheel torn to sh8t. Once again, I jacked the trailer up, mounted the spare, cut away the shredded aluminum that was hanging in the road, and limped into El Centro, where I finally found a pair of junkyard wheels that would fit the trailer and take tubeless tires. It took me another month to get all the sheet aluminum, fasteners and tools together to fix the damage, and I did the repair in the Buckskin Mountain campground on the Colorado River.

I always suspected that the complete failure of that tire was a result of that kid putting a plug meant for a tubeless tire into the tube-type tire, and then inflating the damaged tube, which could have forced some air into the casing, which eventually caused the tread to separate from the casing all at once.

After the repeated headaches around that trailer, I swore I'd never tow a single again. I feel a lot better with our FC27 behind me, running on two axles.

When I drove a 10-yard dump truck back in my college days, there was always a 4-pound sledgehammer under the seat, and it was a daily routine to go around and bang all 10 tires with the hammer. Once you get the feel of how a properly inflated tire deflects the hammer, you can feel a low one when you thump it. I still see 18-wheel drivers doing this routine in rest areas. But there's not really room on the AS to swing a hammer without the risk of putting a bash in the sheet metal, so there's probably a TPMS in my future. The truck has it, and so should the trailer.

So, I'll ask here: what brand of TPMS do you all have on your trailers? I agree, it might not warn in time when a tire blows up, but it would alert me of a low tire before it gets so flat it will flop around and overheat.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I don't see TPMS on the trailer as great protection from blowout damage and no longer use the gadgets. Rather we bought the reliable 16" Michelin tires and monitor them at each fuel stop, in warm weather with a infrared thermometer.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I don't see TPMS on the trailer as great protection from blowout damage and no longer use the gadgets. Rather we bought the reliable 16" Michelin tires and monitor them at each fuel stop, in warm weather with a infrared thermometer.
I do all of those - plus the TPMS! Not much more I could do I suppose - other than maybe drive more slowly and carry less "stuff" in the trailer!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Single vs Double Axle

I have had both and find the double axle much easier to tow and far, far easier to back up. This has been my experience.
dbaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Catastrophic tire failure on a single axle trailer is likely to cause a dangerous loss of control and can be very expensive.

Catastrophic tire failure on a tandem axle trailer can be costly but rarely causes a loss of control.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I had planed on buying a TPMS set up at Fallaluminum. Unfortunately my tongue jack took that opportunity to self destruct. There went the funds for the TPMS. As soon as I am able I will be outfitting my trailer with a new set. I think they are a very prudent and intelligent purchase. I check my tires before, multiple times during and after every trip.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Started with a tandem 25FB and within six months went to a tandem 31' Classic. The longer trailer is easier to back up.

The original tow vehicle, my 2007 Mercedes ML 320 CDI diesel, had the power and was legal weight wise with the new empty trailer when I brought it home (hitch customized by CanAm in London, Ontario). Once loaded for camping and no gear in the car, we were overloaded on the front axle and there was no more payload to put even an overnight bag in the car.

We migrated to our 2012 Dodge Ram 2500HD with Cummins diesel engine. We then had the power and load capacity for the 25FB and it is more than adequate for the 31' Classic.

Do some serious research at several dealerships sitting in, lyong on beds, sitting on the throne, just to get the feel of the trailer. Really look at that bed arrangement as the reality of two sleeping and one needing to get up for a bathroom trek can be interesting. Sit at the table and visualize the television location viewing angle for several hours. Sit on the bench dinette seats and see if they are comfortable.

Do a lot of forum reading on the various models to see what other owners think of their units after some ownership time.

Enjoy the homework. It is all fun and games until you sign the purchase order dotted line and your check.

Good luck with your research.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have a 19' Bambi which is a single-axle rig ... and have had a blowout. It is not fun, and you stop pretty fast ... because you have no other tires to roll on. We did have some wheel well damage but no outer skin damage.

Luckily we were able to change the tire wihtout too much trouble and get back on the road fairly quickly... We lived through it, but I sure don't look forwrad to another edisode.

Previous posters are correct that when you have a blowout a TPMSystem does not help...it screams at you of course, but not until the deed is done. On the other hand, if you have a slow leak and find out about it in time, it can save you from a complete failure. We have had this happen as well ... so I am a proponent of TPMSystems in general. All that much more "help" to keep you safe on the road.

Backing up is an acquired skill. At first I had a heck of a time with the single axle because of the very short pivot point ... but with practice you learn the tricks. Now I can pretty much put it anywhere I need to within a few tries if not on the first try. I do believe backing up a dual axle trailer is easier, so if we ever get a larger trailer we will have it made!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I bought my 2010 single-axle 20ft FC because I got a great deal, and have trailered across the US several times (on the stock Goodyear radials)...this spring I'll switch to the 16" Michelins based on what I hear here (advice on which types please). But I have to admit...the worry about a blowout is ever present. AS Wantebe...buy a model with twin axles. You'll worry less. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Catastrophic tire failure on a single axle trailer is likely to cause a dangerous loss of control and can be very expensive.

Catastrophic tire failure on a tandem axle trailer can be costly but rarely causes a loss of control.
"likely to cause loss of control . . ."

I don't think this is true at all and needlessly suggests fear for the many who tow single axle trailers. Could you substantiate this?

Old 11-24-2014, 05:41 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS Wantabe View Post
Hello, I am rookie when it comes to towing a trailer. I am still a few years away from retiring and spending my kids inheritance money but I like to do alot of research before buying a big ticket item like an Airstream. So my first of many questions is, what is easier to tow, maneuver, control and most importantly back up, single or duel axle trailer's? Thank you for any kind help!
Single or dual axle was not the deciding factor when purchasing our AS, but rather size and layout. Yes, I have always heard that duals tow and back easier than singles, and the longer the trailer the easier it backs. With a proper tow vehicle and hitch set-up both the single and dual axle AS's, with a little practice, are easy to tow, easily maneuvered and stable.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:45 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
I bought my 2010 single-axle 20ft FC because I got a great deal, and have trailered across the US several times (on the stock Goodyear radials)...this spring I'll switch to the 16" Michelins based on what I hear here (advice on which types please). But I have to admit...the worry about a blowout is ever present. AS Wantebe...buy a model with twin axles. You'll worry less. jon
I'm very happy with the tires described in this Michelin Thread.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
Axle Dragging Devices

Our 1967 22-ft. Safari came stock from the factory with the shown axle dragging devices. If the tire goes flat these devices will not allow the the tire to go all the way down to the rim. This COULD/MAYBE save damage to the airstream aluminum and the tire rim itself. It would be possible that if the tire deflated and could not go down all the way to the rim MAYBE the tire would not "shred" and not do as much collateral damage. I am replacing the axle and plan on reinstalling.

There is a down side. One has to recognize you have a flat tire fairly quickly. I would imagine that if your were to be dragging one of these down the interstate at 65MPH they wouldn't last very long. In one instance we were driving through a campground and I drove one airstream wheels off the edge of the paved roadway. The gravel at the edge of the pavement had been washed away and I heard a dragging noise. I just got everything back on the pavement and all was good.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06684.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	227283   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06686.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	227284  

gdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We notice the difference between single and dual axles when we back our AS into our concrete driveway. Since the two tires do not follow the same arc in a turn, we always leave strong marks and sometimes bits of rubber where the tires turn while positioning the trailer.

You can also notice the same in your tracks in fresh dirt while parking in unimproved CG. The dirt allows the tires to slide more in the turn and don't have them grabbing - as on asphalt / concrete.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Buy the floorplan your really like and if it happens to have a single axle then learn to live with it. I didn't let my single axle Casita trailer prevent that from enjoying it. Purchase better tires then than GYM and buy a TPMS to monitor the tires. Check the tires at each fuel stop for wear issues. Another good thing about single axle is 2 tires are cheaper to buy than 4 tires.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #36
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
When I purchased our 1997 25' Safari (bought it used in 2012) my biggest concern was in having reliable tires. When I researched trailer tires I found so many horror stories about catastrophic failures resulting in damage, I was really concerned. The wheels (dual axle) on the Safari are 14", which limits me to trailer tires as I cannot get LT tires for them. I found that many tires of the 14" diameter are made in China and and I frankly do not trust the quality of Chinese products UNTIL proven based on what I read. I eventually purchased 4 new MAXXIS tires which I found through hours of researching. They are made in Thailand and have good reviews overall. They are pricier than most in the 14" size but price is not my concern - safety is.
I think there are a few factors relating to tire safety and performance that we should stay aware of.
In my opinion, these are the critical ones:

1) Towing speed should be kept below 60mph. Speed limit signs often state a 55mph limit for towed vehicles. What's the hurry anyway?

2) Frequent monitoring of tire pressure and condition - always check before moving. When I stop for fuel or after a long downgrade run, I will feel the wheels and tires to get feedback on heat and look to see if the tires are equally inflated.

3) Do not run on tires more than 4-5 years old.

We have towed 7,500 miles this year and have had no trailer tire flats. Had a screw in the TV tire which we had repaired at Costco.
We are running Michelin LTX A/T2 tires on it

I had considered a tire pressure monitoring system earlier, but having read some posts here, I think I'll just stay fastidious about tire condition and towing speed and should be fine.
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
"likely to cause loss of control . . ."

I don't think this is true at all and needlessly suggests fear for the many who tow single axle trailers. Could you substantiate this?
Doug...I have two acquaintances with 20 foot Airstreams that experienced this, one at the top of the Tejon Pass on I5 north of LA two weeks ago and another last winter near the top of the Tehachapi's on Hwy 58 in Southern California. The former turned completely around and faced on-coming traffic, destroyed tire and wheel. The later managed to make it to the shoulder in a driving rain storm. Fortunately, he was traveling at 40mph on the steep down grade because of the weather. Both were running GYMs.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Doug...I have two acquaintances with 20 foot Airstreams that experienced this, one at the top of the Tejon Pass on I5 north of LA two weeks ago and another last winter near the top of the Tehachapi's on Hwy 58 in Southern California. The former turned completely around and faced on-coming traffic, destroyed tire and wheel. The later managed to make it to the shoulder in a driving rain storm. Fortunately, he was traveling at 40mph on the steep down grade because of the weather. Both were running GYMs.
Yes, but the first was probably due to uncontrolled sway, quite possibly initiated by sidewind at the top of the pass, rather than a flat tire. I've seen this end-around on my friend's 28' Airstream as well as another's fifth wheel, had nothing to do with tires. The second example is unclear, he had a flat in driving rain and pulled over to the side.

We traveled with a 20' single axle Airstream, and have had flats on boat trailers but I never suspected or felt loss of control. Perhaps we should discuss it more if it is a real concern.

Has anyone else seen a "loss of control" accident due to a flat tire on a single axle trailer?

Old 11-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
The first guy lost control when the GYM tire blew and wheel broke apart. He felt that he wouldn't have done a 180 at the top of the Tejon Pass otherwise.

The second guy felt very lucky to get to the side of the road after his GYM blew.

I'm just passing on incident descriptions from those involved.

I put 10,000 miles on a 2013 International 19 with 16" Michelin LT tires. I decided to go that route after hearing of incidents first hand from people who experienced GYM blowouts. I loved my 19 for many reasons and wouldn't necessarily avoid single axle Airstream. However, I'd certainly recommend the tire/wheel upgrade to anyone contemplating a new or used single axle.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I currently have 3 Airstreams in my yard so I do a bunch of swapping places. A small, single axle can be twisted into spots where a larger tandem is difficult to park and a triple axle just won't swing into. Nothing to do with the # of axles, just a length thing. Controlling one is exactly the opposite, the triple is very well mannered and usually plops into a space in a single try while backing the short trailer looks like a blindfolded drunk duck waddling side to side.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote