Old 07-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
There are a lot of people who keep saying that diesels cost thousands more to maintain. But the new diesels dont cost much more than the gas engines to maintain. Yes you've got to fill the def tank with your oil change but thats only around $20.
I am glad you said that SpletKay. I was wondering too. I have an 05 model Dodge Ram and that Cummins engine is easy on diesel fuel.
It likes three gallons of Rotella synthetic, @ $21 a gallon, or regular Rotella $11.50 gallon in the summer. A new oil filter, (Baldwin, Fleetguard or Mobil 1) and new Baldwin fuel filter.
It gets a new Hastings air filter about every year, whether it needs it or not.
Its as easy as my Jeep to work on ( sometimes easier, more room).
I may have to change that batteries in it sometime, heck they are original.It has a drain plug on just about everything, transmission has a drain plug, transfer case has a drain plug, rear differential has a drain plug. All that is simple. I don't even have to buy that 'def' fluid or whatever it is.
It pulls that heavy-( beep) 28' Serenity with ease, from Virginia to PEI, then to Pascagoula Mississippi , and back to Virginia.

Yeah, I wouldn't take a plugged-nickel for it

Old 07-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The truck costs more to begin with, meaning higher insurance and registration.
The fuel costs more.
The oil changes cost more- it holds more quarts.
You change the fuel filter more often.
DEF.
When a turbo quits...
Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton diesel...

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Bobgall,
Please don't take this as an insult but have you towed much before your purchasing the travel trailer?
Could this just be a learning curve on what to expect when you put several thousand pounds behind your vehicle? It is definitely a different experience than driving a solo vehicle. You should have more than enough vehicle to get the job done.

The 5.9 gas engine in my old pickup had about 180 to 200 hp tops. It was from the 1980's and laden with old fashioned smog equipment..... It would do the job pulling a 29' AS but you just went a lot slower and the driver was a bit more involved in how a steep hill would be tackled.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #32

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I have frequently traveled down in the Branson Mo. area in in some cases the grades on the roads down there exceed the standards used on Interstate Highways. With that in mind I configured my van with the largest gas engine that was available at the time (6.0 liter) and the best towing axle which was 4.10. Going with this combo also came with the HD GM tranny.

But as others have stated, your original comment about struggling is somewhat unclear. In many cases your success in climbing hills is based on wise use of gears and speed. In my case even though my vehicle is rated to tow in OD, when a large hill is looming, I will go ahead and drop out of OD at the base of the hill. This gets the RPM's up on the engine and I can hold speed going up the hill much better than allowing the tranny to make that decision later on in the climb. Secondly I've come to understand that trying to maintain the speed limit all the way up the steep grade is both a waste of fuel and for all intents impossible to maintain. I've dropped as low as 35-40 mph as I've crested some of these long and steepest pulls, but I don't consider that out of line considering the grade, my weight of my Classic slide out and with the knowledge that I still have two gears left if I need more pulling power. I've watched my diesel equipped fellow travelers and with equivalent sized trailers on the same hills, and with equal approach speed at the bottom of the hill, they end up maybe at best doing 10 mph better than me as we approach the crest of the hill.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Seems as if many individuals have different ideas on what works for them. Thats fine. But I have a 25 ft. with the 2012 Tundra 5.7, live in Colorado, and I love the truck. Going up to the tunnel at the Continental Divide (11,000 ft) with a full water tank I go 55 - 60 at 4,000 rpm. 2 people and a dog in the cab, maybe 300 lbs of gear in the bed. If I dump the water, which I may do after reading this thread, I'd be even faster.

This truck has a ton of torque for a gas engine, costs alot less than a big diesel, and the big plus is I don't have to listen to it. Diesels annoy me and my truck is a daily driver as well.

But if you want more and can afford it, go for it. I'm more worried about the brakes going down, than speed going up. I need to use the trailer brake manually sometimes on the steeper grades.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There is no simplified answer.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
As said before, you now have 381 hp and 401 ft lb torque. Your truck is rated to pull 10,500 lbs. There is a factory supercharger made for that engine that would give you a whopping 504 hp, and 550 ft lb torque. Unbelievable!! That ought to flatten any hill in Colorado, and shame the Corvettes down at the racetrack when youíre not Airstreaming!

Iím new here, and Iím pulling a 34í Avion that weighs 9000 lbs fully loaded with the same 5.7L engine in a 2008 Sequoia. I go slow, and it seems Iím struggling through the steep grades of the Ozark byways. I was hoping the truck would have more pulling power, but you need to have realistic expectations of what any truck will do. However...

The last time we were on our way home from camping, I dropped my wife off to pick up her car. Alone in the truck with no backseat driver I approached the bottom of the next steep hill at my normal speed. As the truck nosed up, I leaned hard on the gas. The 6-speed transmission dropped down two gears, but without even breathing hard, it launched forward. I sailed over the top of the steep, albeit short, hill.

No need to drive your Tundra hard, but no point underestimating your truckís abilities either. The grass is greener on YOUR side of the fence. You have a great truck! Go enjoy it.
(Is there no respect for an 8-ton CGVWR truck? *sniff* )
Alluminati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #36
MOS
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Queensbury , New York
Get the factory supercharger😀 tell the wife it's cheaper than a new truck🤑💐👗
Old 07-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
As said before, you now have 381 hp and 401 ft lb torque. Your truck is rated to pull 10,500 lbs. There is a factory supercharger made for that engine that would give you a whopping 504 hp, and 550 ft lb torque. Unbelievable!! That ought to flatten any hill in Colorado, and shame the Corvettes down at the racetrack when youíre not Airstreaming!

Iím new here, and Iím pulling a 34í Avion that weighs 9000 lbs fully loaded with the same 5.7L engine in a 2008 Sequoia. I go slow, and it seems Iím struggling through the steep grades of the Ozark byways. I was hoping the truck would have more pulling power, but you need to have realistic expectations of what any truck will do. However...

The last time we were on our way home from camping, I dropped my wife off to pick up her car. Alone in the truck with no backseat driver I approached the bottom of the next steep hill at my normal speed. As the truck nosed up, I leaned hard on the gas. The 6-speed transmission dropped down two gears, but without even breathing hard, it launched forward. I sailed over the top of the steep, albeit short, hill.

No need to drive your Tundra hard, but no point underestimating your truckís abilities either. The grass is greener on YOUR side of the fence. You have a great truck! Go enjoy it.
Actually Toyota discontinued the TRD supercharger. Boo!
I love my Tundra, but I love it even more because it is paid for- been paid for over 2 years- and has 53,000 miles- much towing ahead- Maybe I will buy a new Tundra when I retire, but I may have the last truck I will ever have.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Just because it causes so much fun on the forum. F350 is the only way to go.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There may be some of the superchargers floating around in stock, but they will not be produced/sold any more.
I'm sure there are aftermarket superchargers available.
I would love to do the supercharger, cold air intake, dual exhaust, and remap the computer to the tune of roughly $6,500.
How many 500 hp/500 ft. lbs. torque pickups are there?
$6,500 to hop up a paid for truck beats $65,000 for a new truck any day.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I thought about a factory supercharged FJ Cruiser for our 20' Airstream, then read a report of someone who had done it. Great power, but the fuel usage was scary, even towing on the level. Gas prices were considerably higher then, even more scary.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Even the revered *F-350* will perform poorly if you tread too lightly on the accelerator.

Now that I know my truck's poor performance was due to operator error, I'm looking forward to our next trip on the turnpike to see how eager it is supposed to be.
(Is there no respect for an 8-ton CGVWR truck? *sniff* )
Alluminati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #42
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Wow! This is so entertaining. Seems everyone can rationalize their choices. Probably a good thing. I think the OP probably needs to have his truck checked out by a good mechanic or perhaps his expectations climbing mountain grades may need tempering. One thing for sure, his make and model has been proven exceptionally capable.

Regarding gas vs. diesel and 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 or 1 ton, all have tradeoffs.
My previous truck was a '99 F350 with diesel. Great truck, with zero engine issues, good fuel mileage. Everything else though was more expensive with a HD truck. Brakes, transfer cases, oil changes, so maintained things I could myself. Paid about $35K new and got $10K on trade last year when I bought a new 1/2 ton. It had 190+K on the clock. 235 hp and 500 lbs. of torque. New ones have twice the power and torque and cost twice as much. They are also twice more complicated, laden with emission systems and while I cannot speak to the present generation, the ones that followed my 7.3 had many issues that affected reliability, economy and longevity. At least the Fords I have read about. Diesels with their power and HDs with their payload capacity are awesome at towing. If you feel the need, go for it.

I do not miss the unloaded rough ride and the noise, but the 6 spd. bullet proof manual will be missed. From day one the fuel cost premium for diesel was significant, but that's part of the price of admission.

New truck is F150 with gas V8 and is quite luxurious and car like. Very comfortable indeed. 385 hp./387 torque, 2031 payload and 9100 lbs. max tow. So far, so good towing 25FC and getting about 11-12 mpg in the NW Georgia hills and south to Florida. 17 unloaded on the backroads where I live and 21 on the interstate. Definitely feel the AS behind the truck but very stable. Will be interesting to see how well it does this August in the real mountains of Wyoming, Colorado and Montana. Can't wait and wish me luck!