Old 02-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
John/Bob, Do you happen to know if the integrated controller and disc versus drum trailer brakes is a universal problem with the Duramax? If I find that the issue exists with my setup, given my limited mechanical ability, it will be most likely a trip to my trailer service shop. Jack

Old 02-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
John/Bob, Do you happen to know if the integrated controller and disc versus drum trailer brakes is a universal problem with the Duramax? If I find that the issue exists with my setup, given my limited mechanical ability, it will be most likely a trip to my trailer service shop. Jack
I don't know about this year's GM trucks, but my 2013 is specified to operate for drum brakes only. The two dummy magnets I added solved that problem for me. I know some RV dealers install brake magnets just as I did. I wrote an article about it in Airstream Life a few issues back.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I don't know about this year's GM trucks, but my 2013 is specified to operate for drum brakes only. The two dummy magnets I added solved that problem for me. I know some RV dealers install brake magnets just as I did. I wrote an article about it in Airstream Life a few issues back.

I also have the 2013 - does not work with electric over hydraulic brakes but my Flying Cloud has drums and it works perfectly.

Do you have pictures of your magnet setup?
Old 02-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I also have the 2013 - does not work with electric over hydraulic brakes but my Flying Cloud has drums and it works perfectly. Do you have pictures of your magnet setup?
Here are my magnets. I bolted them to the storage box with 1/4" machine screws. I tied one wire from each magnet to ground. I connected the other wire from both magnets together and tied them into the blue wire from the umbilical. This makes the controller think it is seeing a single axle trailer with drum brakes.

Can-Am in Canada does a similar fix using a single magnet. I found a pair of magnets on eBay very reasonable, so I went with 2 magnets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnets full size.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	552.8 KB
ID:	232223  
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #33
Bob

2008 30' Classic
Orland Park , Illinois
Duramax Brake Controller

Jack,
I bought the Prodigy 2, (I believe; my truck is in storage for the winter so I can't check it right now) after talking to the folks at Dexter.
etrailer.com has a detailed discussion/ instruction on how to wire it into your system. There is an unused harness under your dash for an aftermarket controller even if you do have a factory in dash controller. You will use these wires for all but the blue controller wire. That you have to run a separate one to the back and cut your factory "blue" and substitute your new blue into your 7 pin female harness bumper connector. I put the same female wire connectors on the old and new "blues" and a male connector on the stub of the harness connector. This way, I can crawl underneath the rear bumper and switch to the factory "blue" when I tow my show car hauler with electric brakes. The Prodigy will handle the hauler electric brakes too if I don't want to swap those blues. The factory controller works fine with the electric brakes. It just can't communicate with the Dexter electric controller controlling the hydraulically actuated disc brakes on the Airstream.
My hangup with the magnets is that Dexter claimed if you have an accident and the insurance company sees the magnet "work around" they may give you trouble with (read:deny) your claim.
It really bites that you pay all that money for an "onboard" in dash controller that doesn't work with everything. Other than that, like I said, you are going to love your new Duramax. The add on Prodigy is a pain in the a-- to set up but once installed, you're on way to Streaming On!
Old 02-13-2015, 06:05 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Thanks Bob. I had a Prodigy installed in our Suburban and it worked just fine. I believe I've seen here that the Flying Clouds have drum brakes so i may be OK with the stock controller. I'm waiting for the longer hitch pins to arrive so I can hook the trailer up to see if the brakes work, how the Duramax pulls etc.

I also noticed that the truck has the trailer tow transmission button. Given the grunt the truck has anyway, do you find that you use the tow feature regularly?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:29 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Jack,

If you don't mind me jumping in here.....GM recommends the tow/haul feature be used only when the GCW of the rig is above 75% of the GCWR. That being said, when I have pulled my loaded 30' Classic and loaded bed, I rarely, if ever used tow'haul with the Duramax. When I have a 2500 Gasser, I only use it when in the "mountains".

Also, just to clarify, the GM integrated trailer brake controller was not compatible with E/H disc brakes prior to 2014 for the 1500s and prior to 2015 for the HDs.

I am driving my first 2015 (just got out of a 2013 2500) but haven't had the AS hitched up yet in order to test it against my DirecLink.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:26 AM   #36
Bob

2008 30' Classic
Orland Park , Illinois
Jack,
I mainly use the tow button to assist in slowing down w/o using the brakes. I turn it on when I know I'm exiting and the Allison downshifts beautifully almost to a complete stop.
I've used it going down mountains but if its not steep enough, the Allison will slow you down too much and you end up turning it off before you get rear ended by a trucker! you're going to have to "experiment" to use it for your type of driving. For starting out w/ a load, it holds the RPM longer and provides crisper shift points but I agree w/ Rich that I really don't use it much either. Maybe a steep uphill entrance ramp w/ a full load?
Experiment and have fun!
Old 02-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I prefer the exhaust brake to decel and hold back on downhill runs, over the TH mode.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Sacramento , California
Your R.V. dealer shoud have the locking pin are camping would .
Old 02-14-2015, 12:41 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
An update. I had the opportunity this morning to hook up the Flying Cloud to the new (to me) Duramax for the first time and here are my observations:

Cutting my existing Hensley stinger from eight to six inches was perfect. Height of the trailer all around was about sixteen inches hooked up.

The non-navigation system backup camera will take some getting used to. It is a much wider view than the nav creating a much smaller view of everything. Shadows are still a problem, but I wrapped a high intensity flashlight at the hitch and that helped some. I'm going to spray some white paint on the stinger tip. I think that will help some.

One other observation. At a height of 14", the stinger seemed to slip into the coupler much easier. Perhaps everything is much more level than the 19" height of the Suburban hitch. Even with sight issues I was able to align the stinger after two or three tries. And though I still had about three inches to go, it snugged up without much effort. I also use Gojo as a lubricant on the stinger shaft and that helps.

The installed brake controller system worked great at the standard 3.5. I'm sure though that the setting may change based on circumstances.

Now for the ride which was terrific. I truck went easily into overdrive and stayed there, something that would never happen in the 'Burb. As recommended here, I did not use the trailer two feature, but the engine brakes worked great. Downshifted at the correct time. I used cruise control and the truck stayed in it without any diffculty. We live in the "flatlands" of Virginia and I'm sure the truck will run differently when I get back on the Million Dollar Highway heading out of Ouray to Durango, Co. But, so far the new setup has more than met my expectations.

Thanks again to all who replied to my questions. Your responses really helped me in getting ready for the inaugural run.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:14 AM   #40
Bob

2008 30' Classic
Orland Park , Illinois
Duramax Sweet Spot

Jack,
For what its worth, the "sweet spot" for mileage for my 2013 Duramax is 1600RPM (which is where all the torque comes in) and 65MPH. I get 22-23mpg flatland no tow, and 12-13mpg towing my '08 Classic @ about 9,000#. Rarely out East does it downshift while towing up the mountains, 1600RPM all the way up and over. These trucks are beasts! I love it! This is how towing should be. It's a blast to pass 18 wheelers going uphill at 65MPH towing 9-10,000#.
Good Luck!
Bob
Old 02-15-2015, 08:16 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Thanks again Bob. I can already see the mpg improvement over the Suburban. It would get 9-10 hauling and 17-18 on the flats with no tow. In fact I mentioned the Ouray to Durango highway. We drove it in 2013 on our way to the Southwest Adventure Caravan. In climbing that hill I burned four gallons in sixteen miles. In some places it was a 15 mph, 1st gear pull. No doubt that Duramax will be an improvement. Hopefully one day we'll see you "down the road" Jack
Old 02-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerboy View Post
Jack,
For what its worth, the "sweet spot" for mileage for my 2013 Duramax is 1600RPM (which is where all the torque comes in) and 65MPH. I get 22-23mpg flatland no tow, and 12-13mpg towing my '08 Classic @ about 9,000#. Rarely out East does it downshift while towing up the mountains, 1600RPM all the way up and over. These trucks are beasts! I love it! This is how towing should be. It's a blast to pass 18 wheelers going uphill at 65MPH towing 9-10,000#.
Good Luck!
Bob
For a long time, I towed at 60 to 62. Then, one time, I was in a hurry and increased to 65. To my amazement, my fuel mileage increased instead of dropping. I now tow at 64 to 65. I get about 14 mpg towing my Classic 28 on most terrains.

Some of my worst mileage is in the Texas Hill Country where there is an endless series of small but steep ups and downs. I lose more on the upgrades then I gain on the downgrades. I can improve my mileage in these conditions by shifting to "M" and shifting down with the button as soon as I hear the engine start to load on the upgrades without waiting for the transmission to shift down on its own.

WBCCI #9632