Old 09-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #29
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Another concern

Thanks for all the info posted in response to Robbie's question. I share his concerns. Although I towed a 21 foot trailer behind my present TV for 6 years, the additional 10 feet of my 31 Classic, is intimidating. The turning radius is much greater. I have always found a way to get to a Diesel pump. However, I still am confused about filling on the truck Islands. I always make sure that they say RV before I use them. Is it correct that a truck island is likely to have a larger diameter spout that will not fit the filler pipe on my Dodge Pickup? I think I remember running into this once a long time ago.
We did not encounter a problem on our first trip with the new trailer as we did not go a tankful distance away. A interesting sidelight, on that trip, we stopped at a Home Depot parking lot for lunch. While eating, I heard a noise behind us. There was a large fifth wheel pulling up behind us. He dropped his trailer, took off to refuel and came back about ten minutes later, hooked up and left. It is apparently a lot easier to do with a 5th wheel.
I would appreciate any tips on sorting out the Truck Islands.
Thanks,
Ken

Old 09-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #30

Fast Fill nozzles

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
.........................................However, I still am confused about filling on the truck Islands. I always make sure that they say RV before I use them. Is it correct that a truck island is likely to have a larger diameter spout that will not fit the filler pipe on my Dodge Pickup? I think I remember running into this once a long time ago.
.................................................. .................................................. ...
Thanks,
Ken
OK, I'll talk to myself again.
After an exhaustive Internet search and a few telephone calls, I have found zip - nada info. Apparently, the incident I remembered was from long ago when I owned a diesel Blazer.
I checked the inside dimension of the fill pipe in my truck and it is 1 5/8". So next time I am out by the interstate I will measure the truck stop nozzles. But I am guessing it is not a problem. I did learn that the large nozzles are called fast fill nozzles.
Regards,
Ken

Old 09-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
My trial by fire trip from Maine to Minnesota I learned to stalk the best Aisle by lurking off property and only committing when it was safe to proceed...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Also have a diesel. And, that longbed pickup with 34' trailer made for a 63' rig once hitched.

I, too, prefer truck stops. I don't worry about which island as it is just diesel. On the other hand I have been a trucker so these places are familiar; and WALKING around trucks idling there way thru the lots can be intimidating due to size, close manuevering by big trucks one to the other, and the sound. The sound can be quite loud. Caution your passengers is what I'm thinking.

Drivers "tend" to wave a big truck on by, waiting for him, unlike with cars where pedestrians "always" have R-O-W. It all comes down to circumstance.

Also, with some fuel islands there may be a short sharp barrier at both ingress and egress with a fair slope both ways from the pumps. This contains big diesel spills, and can be a surprise in a light duty truck. Watch your trailer.

Mostly, big truck fuel islands are dirty, kinda greasy. Not always with newer facilities. Still, the "RV Island" is likely to not have that layer of oil all over it. Be careful of your shoes getting back into vehicle (I always keep a spare pair for driving, same as with eyeglasses). Take your time, check fluids, air tires, etc. You can almost always count on a good air hose, but you may want to scout where it is, first.

In short, don't worry about what island you use, but be aware that as big trucks are generally going to load up to 180-gls from [2] pumps, wash the windshield, buy some junk, cash a check, etc, that they may be awhile inside the store after pulling forward. They know they have enough time to do a few "errands" before the next truck finishes fueling. From start to end it may be half-hour before departure.

And some jokers take showers or order food after pulling forward and parking. You can get stuck this way but it doesn't happen that often that the driver in front of you doesn't return. Go to the fuel desk if it does.

Best time of day is late morning, say, 0900 to 1130; or, mid-afternoon (if one is away from major metro areas) up till around 1700. Truck drivers can be religious about meals, and there is always some kind of crowd at the conventional hours. If they are lined up two deep at the pumps, go on down the road.

The RV island is for the shorties who are gonna fuel fast at one tank and leave. That is their convenience. And it keeps the civilians away from the big trucks. Big trucks make manuevers that seem counter-intuitive to four wheelers. You may "think" that big truck ahead of you is leaving the facility, BUT what he is doing is making a blind-side u-turn (to the passenger or starboard) in order to line up again for the weight scale. Keep still, don't creep. Just hold where you are until he's gone. He'll grab a few gears once he's moving the right direction.

You'll note that trucks will wait for other trucks -- at a truck stop -- what would be an inordinately long time for car drivers. These things are easy to damage, so everyone operates at a much slower tempo than, again, what car drivers are used to.

And the potholes can be two feet across and eight inches deep. Scout your route.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #33

Rednax,
Thanks for taking the time time to post all that information. It is definitely going to help me feel more comfortable.
Regards,
Ken
Old 10-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #34
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
All good suggestions. I stay away from the big rig islands because most of them have the nozzles which don't fit my fill pipe. Checking the islands before commiting is a very good idea; you can have your rear end way out there if you find someone in front of you is inside loading up on supplies. That seems to be happening more and more.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I use mine for business nationwide. So, I have purchased fuel in almost every big city and suburban neighborhood north of the mason dixon line. My secret, and in California with the uneven approaches all over is very simple. As I approach, skills and manners are in demand, once in, I own the place. Real simple. I do care however if the rear of the streamer is sticking out in the road. I do not care if 3 cars have to move so we can get out. I had a problem only once. A guy in a porche 911 around the bay area refused to move as I finished refueling. Obviously, the last thing he towed was his wagon behind a tricycle. So, I got out and proclaimed it looks nap time for me. The gas station attendant then made the guy back into a very busy road and off he went. Rubber burning and that sweet boxer whine.

The one thing I do look out for is any place that has diesel pumps. The stuff always seems not find the intended fuel tank but spilled all over and usually gets inside the truck. Now for e 85, I have been known to drive 2-10 miles out of the way for the savings. Just filled up for 1.89/gallon.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
My most confusing experience was in a truck stop on I-75 in Ohio. I pulled into the trucker fueling area and tried to use the "pay at the pump" system. Big mistake. Of course, it turned on the pump that was across the other side of the lane. I finally went inside and spoke with a real human being. She wanted to know why I didn't join the 20 vehicles in the gas lanes, where the fuel was 2 cents a gallon cheaper.
Ease of entry and exit trumps price every time.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Here's a few other things—

When we stop at a campground and unhitch to go somewhere, I buy gas because it's easier then.

We take a 5 gallon can (sometimes 2) and store it in the back of the pickup (and use bungie cords to make sure it stays in place), but we also have a tonneau. The newer cans (they are really plastic) seal so well, there's no odor or fumes, but I would not want to have them inside an SUV. In an accident, that can may be flying around the inside of the SUV.

Sometimes, and it seems only when we have to get gas, all the gas stations with fairly easy access are on the wrong side of the road. Crossing back after filling up can be a challenge as visibility is tough on the right side. I've gone through entire towns where every gas station is on the left side—that's why we have the 5 gallon can in the back of the truck.

Gene
Old 10-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Look for a large area.

Swing wide and hit it straight.

Airstreams are such a sight....folks
give way... and look..... longingly.
Applied pride!

Now to a usable suggestion: Fuel stops
that have a fast food business under the
same roof usually have a large fueling area
Old 10-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #39
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
There is great information here. I am in the right place at the right time. Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
I'm working on our '66 Dodge D200. The existing gas tank is only 17 gallons and it's behind the seat inside the cab... pretty standard for the era, but not exactly ideal for our purposes. I'm working on installing a tank where the spare tire would go... under the bed and between the frame rails. If all goes according to Hoyle, the tank will be a minimum of 40 gallons and will fill from either side. Moving the weight back will help handling, traction and balance. The truck also will ride better with the extremely stiff 3/4 ton springs with some weight.

Years ago, most of our fleet trucks had two tanks... primary and auxiliary. Worst case scenario, a person can always unhitch in a big parking lot and make a gas run to a small, cramped station. On the other hand, the more fuel you carry, the more options you'll have.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
I still am confused about filling on the truck Islands. I always make sure that they say RV before I use them. Is it correct that a truck island is likely to have a larger diameter spout that will not fit the filler pipe on my Dodge Pickup?
Thanks,
Ken[/QUOTE]

The larger diameter spouts at truck stop islands do fit our DMax with no problem. But we only go to these islands as a last resort. Then I set the nozzle on the slowest feed as the Semi islands have high volume feed which is too fast for comfort on our pickup.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Big Nozzle

I use em' whenever I can. Fit the fill neck fine ('08 Dmax) and fill the tank FAST. No extra slosh or overflow - just quick flow. Saves time.