Old 09-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I do what everyone else does...stick to the truck stops, refill at quarter tank, and make sure I have a way out before I head in....my last trip there was severe weather and flooding so I didnt have much choice. I ended up having to back out onto the highway. Amazing how many people jumped out there to stop traffic and help out.

Al

Old 09-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #16
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We also carry if 5 gal supply of gas if we are taking routes we are not familiar with or don't know the gas situation...
This is a good idea. We've done this several times and have filled-up using the gas can for ease.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Get a diesel and fill up where the big rigs fill up. Thats what I do.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
VERY CAREFULLY...

Like others have mentioned, there's got to be a good way to get OUT, before I'll attempt to go IN...

I always carry a spare 5-gal jug of fuel for the generator, so it can also be used for the TV as well...
Old 09-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Silliest question ever....

When I am towing one of my trailers, I am usually on secodary highways miles from the major thoroughfares where truck stop chains are located so finding fuel can be a problem in some areas due to the perpendicular pump arrangment. One thing that I learned to appreciate when towing with my Cadillac during the summer of 2008 was its center rear bumper fill location -- I didn't have to worry about which side the fuel filler door was located. Over the years, I have had to back out of gas stations three times -- the most frustrating was the truck stop that advertised on its sign that it had RV Friendly Islands -- what they didn't say was it was strictly for diesel fueled RVs as the islands with gasoline while parallel to the building had a dead-end at the opposite end that was not apparent as you pulled into the station.

As I have traveled the rural highways one thing that I have learned is that most county seats have at least one gas station equipped to handle vehicles towing trailers. Since my Cadillac has a relatively modest fuel tank for its fuel appetite, I am always prepared to unhook if necessary -- have only done this once and was glad that I did as it took 24.5 gallons to fill its 25 gallon tank.

When towing with my Suburban, I almost never need to fill-up when towing as it has enough fuel capacity for a day's drive under most conditions. I usually fill up the evening of my arrival while I am out eating dinner . . . then I have enough fuel for at least 450 miles in worse case scenario.

Taking time to fully practice backing your combination under a variety of conditions can really make the thought of backing out of a gas station island much less intimidating.

Enjoy your adventure!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
You always need to see your path out of an area before you commit yourself. Lynn is correct about some of the perpendicular pump setups, some of the newer QT stations are built this way. The pumps on the outside can be easier to manage.

Always keep an eye on those cement post that protect the pumps. I always give them a wide berth as I have seen the damage they can do. Thankfully this has never happened to me.
Boy...do I now what's that's like. I gouged a 9' groove in our Trade Wind 2 Springs ago. $3200 for a new 14' x 4' aluminum side. Thank goodness for good insurance.
Neil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3110159.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	87155   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3110162.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	87156  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3110149.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	87157  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Granted, we have a relatively short rig, but we do watch where we pull into and make sure we can manuver our way out forwards without having to back up (which is a total hassle and opens you up to lots of not-so-good possibilities). We also watch how steep or sharp the entrance or entry curb is so we don't drag bottom or damage low-hanging dump plumbing. Most of the interstate stations are do-able... and truck stops are even better... they are built to handle long rigs. We also carry if 5 gal supply of gas if we are taking routes we are not familiar with or don't know the gas situation...
Okay - so a related question.... where do you carry the extra gas? I asked this question years ago on a separate forum when I wanted to carry a few gallons of extra gas during a hurricane evacuation and didn't get any good ideas. At the time, I didn't want to store it in a visible location for fear someone would steal it (if gas wasn't available post-hurricane).

Laura
Old 09-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Well We don't have the longest rig but it could be a problem. If ya look closely at the avatar you can just about see the front end,. I have not measured, but I' thinkin about 50 ft. Having been an over the road trucker for 45 yrs its not a problem. I just kinda stay wiff the big trucks and don't have any problem. But I can imagine with gas pumps out front of the store and not that much room to negoiate it could be a big problem. I have fuel at a Piolt but had to use the outside pumps because of my length, this was not a truckstop.I'm kinda glad I have the desiel, most of the Pilots(truckstops) are constructed with the pumps out front and no gas pumps with the big trucks.
So I would respectly suggest you choose Wisely and not fall below 1/4 tank of fuel so you can go on the the next stop without a problem.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Silliest question ever. . . . . .

Greetings Laura!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Okay - so a related question.... where do you carry the extra gas?
I have searched for an appropriate solution for the past four years, but haven't found a current solution that makes sense. I was looking for something similar to one of the two solutions that were available back when nearly everyone towed with a large family car. Those two solutions were as follows:
  • The one that seemed to make the most sense was a fuel tank that was triangular and designed to fit between the frame rails of the tongue's A-Frame. It had a built-in 12-volt fuel transfer pump as well as a fuel filter. Its presence wasn't obvious, and it featured a locking cap. I have been unable to find any references to this on the internet after exhaustive research.
  • The one that always intrigued me, but concerned me due to the potential issues of venting, was a tank about the size of the typical 15" full-size spare tire and was secured to the bottom of the car's trunk with a vent line run to the outside throught the trunk floor -- again, this device had a fuel transfer pump as well as a filter. I would suspect that this device couldn't meet modern NHSTA regulations.
The only somewhat practical solution that I have been able to find is to adapt one of these (see link) auxilliary fuel tanks designed for boats. I have considered mounting one of these across the tongue rails behind the LP tanks on my Minuet as an emergency supply when towing my Minuet with the Cadillac -- I had more than one unpleasant experience looking for fuel while traveling in the mountains during the summer of 2008. I would have to add a 12-volt transfer pump to get the gasoline to the Cadillac's fuel tank, but it appears workable. Making the setup theft resistant poses another question -- I suspect that a locking cap could be added, and the mounting bracketry could be fitted with a means of securing with a lock.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Here's how NOT to do it:

YouTube - truck and camping trailer crash into bank roof

:0

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Okay - so a related question.... where do you carry the extra gas? I asked this question years ago on a separate forum when I wanted to carry a few gallons of extra gas during a hurricane evacuation and didn't get any good ideas. At the time, I didn't want to store it in a visible location for fear someone would steal it (if gas wasn't available post-hurricane).

Laura
For us storing extra gas is not a problem as we have a tonneau cover on our truck bed...so everything inside is out of sight and locked up. With an open truck bed anything in it is sometimes pp for grabs, unfortunately...even when camped...we are glad we opted for the tonneau...it makes camping while storing a bunch of stuff in the truck bed so much better... it also limits what we haul so we can keep the weight reasonable. A camper shell would do the same thing except you can put more stuff inside.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Just look ahead and plan your path. You will be fine. You will get into a situation everyone does just take your time, get out and look, forget about the horns blowing at you! It is your baby not theirs!

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Aftermarket and OEM Fuel Tank Systems I have one of these in the back of my 2500 Silverado, We put a side window that opens on the tank side, in a standard alum cap. Works great. You fill your gas tank, gennys, or lawn mowers, etc around the house. Gives you an additional 50 gallons when towing and doesn't hog up the room. Lots of extra time to find a gas station. You can fill yourself at a roadside rest or wherever you can pull off. Its the only way to go with about 900 miles total range.

Jim
Old 09-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
You might get a copy of "The Next Exit", which list all of the accommodations one might need while traveling along the Interstate Highway Systems.
Contain the listings for gas service centers, restaurants, campgrounds, etc..
cost is usually around 14.95$ plus S&H
# 1 American Interstate Highway Travel Exit Guide

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote