Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Exclamation Shocking video- Mind your clearance or else!

SOB 5th wheel towed under too-low of a roof, with VERY disastrous results! Lesson to all: mind your clearance signs, and KNOW your height!

Shocking video:

The good news is, it put that recent little curb scrape incident of mine into perspective. Dang ol sagged 1964 springs! LOL

-SilvrSausage

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
I'm impressed that the canopy was what got destroyed, not the SOB....
Old 07-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrSausage View Post
SOB 5th wheel towed under too-low of a roof, with VERY disastrous results! Lesson to all: mind your clearance signs, and KNOW your height!

Shocking video:

The good news is, it put that recent little curb scrape incident of mine into perspective. Dang ol sagged 1964 springs! LOL

-SilvrSausage

Many years ago, like in 1970, Airstream advertized that your Airstream trailer, will go, wherever your tow vehicle will go.

I was training the parts and service department at Avalon Travel Center, in Ohio at the time.

My office, Caravanner Insurance company called me and said that an Airstream trailer was coming into Avalon, that was damaged by a smart alec, whatever that meant.

When the trailer show up, I immediately called the office to learn, what the heck did this guy do.

The answer, was to say the least, over whelming.

The owner said he decided, since he was wealthy, that Airstreams claim was false advertizing, and he set out to prove it.

He intentionally pulled his almost new 31 foot Airstream trailer, under a very low railroad bridge, that was out in the country, crossing a dirt road. That bridge was so low, that the tow vehicle, which was a car, barely cleared underneath the bridge.

The result of his foolishness, was that he sheared off, the entire upper portion of the trailer, from front to back, and down to almost the bottom of the windows.

Obviously, he had to be going pretty fast.

However, since we could not prove that he did this on purpose, we had no choice but to pay for the repairs on the trailer.

However, once he took delivery of his trailer, we immediately cancelled his policy.

Within a few minutes of learning what this turkey did, I called Airstream, who immediately removed that statement, from all of their advertizing, and has never used it since.

Funny? Maybe. Stupid? Of course.

None the less, be careful of low overhangs.

Also back in the very early 70's, we had all to many roof AC's knocked off the roof.

How in the heck could this be such a problem.

So, I set out to investigate the real causes.

The answer was almost unbelievable.

Most of this happened, pulling into a motel, with the trailer,
under their typical low overhangs.

Why in the world would they want to be in a motel, when they all had an Airstream trailer?

The answer, was very basic.

Mom got sick and tired having to deal with all the problems with the inner workings of the trailer, since pops was too lazy to fix things, and didn't want to take it to a shop for those repairs and PM, since he was also a tight wad.

We all know the old saying, that when momma is not happy, no one is going to be happy.

So the moms, without exception in those losses, said they told there husbands, that they were never going to spend another minute in that trailer, until everything worked as it should.

Those moms statements also meant that they would sit in the tow vehicle when traveling, but would only stay in a motel to sleep and rest. They also universally said, that also included no more cooking in that junky trailer, so while we are gone, all of our meals will be at restaurants.

So guys, beware of low overhangs, and taking momma on a trip with the Airstream, unless things are working reasonable well, or the flip side, see ya in divorce court.

They usually said why take a trip with the Airstream to become miserable, when they can stay home and do that.

These are not stories folks.

These are facts, that I learned when investigating some of the Airstream insurance claims, at least back then.

And so it is, or was.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Wow there's some other great smashup videos on that site too.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Great video,poor guy.I don't think the driver will be doing that again...if he survived.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Cool

I found some more info on this story. Happily, the driver and 10-year-old son were uninjured. Less happily, it was a 2008 dodge and new 5er!

FROM SHELBY COUNTY TODAY: At approximately 3 PM, Tuesday, July 2, a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500, pulling a new travel trailer, hit the corner of the Texas State Bank Drive-In on Tenaha Street, causing the complete awning to come to the ground. Luckily, the driver of the Dodge, Mickey Miller, of Garrison and his 10 year old son were able to exit their vehicle uninjured. According to Miller he was circling the bank to park on the other side when the corner of his travel trailer caught the corner of the bank awning. Next thing he heard was a rumble as the awning started falling against his driver's side door. Somehow he was able to unbuckle the seat beat and exit the other side of his truck as it was falling. Mark Ivy of Texas State Bank stated that the main lobby would be open for business while the drive-in is being repaired.

Andy, thanks for the interesting stories. I'm surprised that the insurance didn't stand up to the guy. Movie quote, "It's ADVERTISING! You're not supposed to believe it!"

It reminds me of something my Mom did once, in her van with a fiberglass-extended roof. She drove into a mall parking garage, ignoring the clearance signs. The roof began to scrape one of the cross beams. She later said, "I had NO CHOICE" and kept going forward. The next beam was lower, and the van went CRUUUNCHHHH and stopped moving! A 2 hour cluster-youknowwhat followed; finally a tow guy had the sense to decide to let the air out of the tires. The roof was badly damaged; insurance paid the claim but the repair was rather crude looking. Some months later, she was retelling the story, and I interrrupted to ask, "So, now you know your height, RIGHT?" She answered with a slightly smug, "No."

Yes, there is a lot of "interesting" content on that site. It used to be the infamous Ogrish dot com, so the squeamish should browse at their own risk.

-SilvrSausage

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Always watch your height clearance!!!

This is a true surveillance video taken at a bank drive thru in Center Texas July 2, 2008.

Although most of us are not as tall as the 5th wheel shown in this video, it is a visual reminder to always be aware of your surroundings, especially when towing....

Unbelievably no one was hurt...

Link to view and news story:

Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Wow! How my vacation ended.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Mike, I hope that was not your vehicle in the video........
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
I know this is an old thread but, I just can not believe some one could do this. This is something that i have nightmares about.
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
One more reason not to get a 5er.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

However, since we could not prove that he did this on purpose, we had no choice but to pay for the repairs on the trailer.

Andy
I've been waiting for a bad tire from Discount Tire that I can throw through their front window like the little old lady in the TV commercial. "If for any reason you are not satisfied".