Old 07-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
Sherline LM 2000 tongue weight scale and ProPride WD Hitch

Question for anyone who has used this scale with their ProPride. Did you get accurate readings? Did you undo WD bars, lower tongue jack directly on scale and unhitch from receiver?
I'm just trying to decide if the scale is worth buying.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 07-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
I had some good success with a Sherline prior to fitting my ProPride but did not get any repeatable values with the ProPride fitted. The head essentially moves on the ball with attaches to the cup on the AS and therefore making it very hard to balance the AS and ProPride consistently enough to get good readings. You may be able wedge some wood between the yoke and AS A frame to stabilize things. If I have time tomorrow's I'll give it a go and let you know.

Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
It have been a while since I measured mine with the Pro Pride. I don't recall having any trouble though.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:32 AM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Ron,

Never had a problem using the Sherline with our Hensley.
I weigh with the trailer loaded for camping, unhitched and LEVEL.

Bob
Old 07-24-2015, 06:40 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Ron,

Never had a problem using the Sherline with our Hensley.

I weigh with the trailer loaded for camping, unhitched and LEVEL.

Bob

Bob, where do you place the Sherline to take the weight? I found the head was "flopping" around side to side and a little front to back which induced side loads on the Sherline which in turn leads to large discrepancies reading to reading. I'm just curious because I would like to get a reading on the weight on my drive. Thanks.
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Old 07-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
To get a baseline I used a 12" square of 3/4" plywood under the Hensley as close to the ball as I could get.

For routine checks I use the jack post and add 100lbs.
The Sherline has 50lb increments and I restore all but 100lbs to the TV front axle,
so I'm comfortable using the jack post plus 100.

Bob
Old 07-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I place it under the tongue jack....but that forces you to do some additional math to get actual tongue weight as well as receiver weight. However, I just feel safer with the scale under the jack post. Much more solidly planted than trying to stabilize under the floppy head.

Also, the jack affords a bit of peace of mind that you are getting a more precise reading with a more straight load on the plunger of the scale.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Just weighed mine after getting a strange set of readings from CAT and the Ron Gratz spreadsheet I have. I kept it simple. Weighed using the tongue jack. Started with the weight bars released, hooked up to tow vehicle. Lowered the tongue jack until it started lifting on the hitch locking cup off of the ball on the ProPride. Took down the weight.

Did it multiple times. Got results that looked more 'normal'.

So the ProPride was being fully supported by the tow vehicle. Still had the weight of the jacks, some from the bars and yoke. If I had the time I could have unlocked the latch but figured once it lifted it was close enough.

And I checked around in the local WBCCI club and borrowed one. Would be nice to have but other than this bad set of CAT readings (scales had just been certified while I was waiting to get on, interesting process to watch) that apparently gave some erroneous readings not something I would use but maybe once in a blue moon.
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
DeltaRon,

As a few others have indicated, it's possible to use the Sherline with a PP. Last time I tried I guess I did not have the patience.

Few pictures below on how I did it. Crank the PP jacks up a bit to stabilize the head and make sure the Sherline is as level as possible (to avoid side loads which screw up the result). I measured 775lbs, last actual from a three scale weighing and calculation was 750lb so pretty close.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1437770518.576558.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	243807

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1437770549.977561.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	243808
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Old 07-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I had Airstream weigh the tongue while I was having warranty work done at Jackson Center: 1,252 pounds. When I got home I weighed it with my Sherline 2000: 1,150 pounds or 8.1% lighter. But as I write this I realize that I don't know if Airstream weighed at the coupler, as I did, or the jack.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Just weighed mine after getting a strange set of readings from CAT and the Ron Gratz spreadsheet I have. I kept it simple. Weighed using the tongue jack. Started with the weight bars released, hooked up to tow vehicle. Lowered the tongue jack until it started lifting on the hitch locking cup off of the ball on the ProPride. Took down the weight.

Did it multiple times. Got results that looked more 'normal'.
Hi Gary,

I took a look at your scales data. A straight forward analysis of the numbers indicates a "tongue weight" of 1040#.

However, the straight forward analysis can give misleading results if the trailer has independently-suspended axles and is not level when the unhitched axle loads are measured.

With the TT hitched with no WD applied, there might be enough rear-end sag of the TV to cause sufficient nose-down attitude of the TT so that the load on the TT's front axle is increased and the load on the TT's rear axle is decreased.
This can cause the apparent calculated tongue weight to be less than if the TT were level, and can cause the combined TT axle loads to be greater than actual.

An analysis which uses the unhitched weights and the hitched-with-WD-applied weights, combined with TV and TT dimensions, gave an estimated tongue weight of 1180# with 240# being transferred to the TT's axles.
I didn't know the wheelbase for your TV or the distance from ball to TT axles midpoint for your TT. I chose 157" and 242" for those dimensions.

There are two things to consider regarding your Sherline measurements:
1) The TT must be "level" (parallel to the underlying surface), and
2) Load measured under the tongue jack will be greater that the load measured under the coupler. Magnitude of error might be around 5%, depending on distance from ball to jack and distance from ball to TT's axles.

What weight did you get using the Sherline?

Ron
Old 07-28-2015, 11:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Ron, the sample spreadsheet has old data with my FC25. The measurements that triggered my borrowing a Sherline had the calculations at 680# on my 2015 Classic. Just totally out of the realm of reality. I had gone back to the CAT scales to do multiple weighings with various jack heights on the PP. Only reason I question the accuracy is that when I arrived the calibration tractor rig from CAT was in the process of checking and certifying the scale. It's a truck stop so I parked, had lunch and then did the weighing. That's the trip that came up with the 680# calcs.

Sherline indicated 980#. Only had about 50% in the two propane tanks and full fresh water. I was making the trip since I had added solar panels, pulled out the two Group 27 batteries, and all lithium batteries, inverter and controllers are mounted under the dining table next to the roadside front axle.

And the way I did it probably isn't the most accurate. TV hooked up, Sherline under the jack, raise the tongue with the jack until the tongue started to lift from the ball on the PP.

680# on a 2015 Classic really thru me into doubt.

Everything was level with the Sherline (inside my storage building).

I need to make a trip to another CAT scale when I get some down time.
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:39 AM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

"And the way I did it probably isn't the most accurate. TV hooked up, Sherline under the jack, raise the tongue with the jack until the tongue started to lift from the ball on the PP."

Yep....I think your right.

Un-hitched with the trailer dead level and loaded for use is the best way to use the scale. I've always found it to be accurate within the 50lb increment on the dial, probably more like 25lb,

Bob