Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 AM   #169
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
right, And I am being a bit picky though...and this exercise illustrates muti-axle torsion axles only, but even an empty AS will have some CG forward movement and as the body and all the furnishings are above the axle centerline. Too many variables for individual loading to be really accurate here. Storing all your ceramic dishes, canned goods, pots and pans in overhead locker would have a greater effect than all of them in drawers at floor level and bread and cereal in the overheads......etc. Partially full holding tanks will have some effect as well.

Theoretically, it is possible, with enough forward tilt that you could pass the point of CG equilibrium and increase tongue weight on a torsion axle....but not practically. I imagine the tongue would have to be below street level to reach equilibrium.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #170
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
I heard a new term on another forum that describes the last few posts here-
"Engineer induced mental masturbation"

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #171
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
NICE!!!! Thank goodness I am not an engineer.....I just get to play/discuss/argue with them for the last 30 years.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:39 AM   #172
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
NICE!!!! Thank goodness I am not an engineer.....I just get to play/discuss/argue with them for the last 30 years.

Same. But appreciate the proposed theory on why I enjoy the discussion so much. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #173
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Tongue low moves the CG forward and increases TW.....on a single axle trailer or trailers with spring suspension and an equalizing link.

Mine is a leaf sprung TT. TW was significant on that trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #174
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
This comment precisely describes about 95% of these comments. Rving is supposed to be fun, but when it gets to be a "one upmanship" contest on knowledge, it begins to be boring.....not fun any more....

I've never seen so many people with so much knowledge, each one, just waiting to see if they can out do the one before.

For whatever it's worth.

Larry C

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #175
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Share Your Real World Tongue Weights & Trailer Weights

You sure it's as you attempt to describe?

Recommend you go back ten years on this and other RV forums in re this type of discussion. Formulate the differences between then and now.

Otherwise it may be you've said more about your own motivations than of others when in this type of search.

The Net has made it both easier and more difficult. Easier in that these topics exist and not according to a few editors. Difficult in that there is far more to read through.

Your own tests are welcome and in the best spirit. Numbers, quantification, is neutral enough. How it may be interpreted appears to shed readers along the way. Knowledge is beset by lack of information and understanding seems too distant.

Have a long look. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I don't agree, Larry C. There's all kinds of having fun camping. This will sound ridiculously geeky but for the 6 months I was waiting to take delivery, I read every piece of paper in that little briefcase they gave me - many of them several times. That was fun because it helped me prepare.

This is my first (and I trust last) rig ever. Part of being able to have fun for me included trying to absorb as much knowledge as I could from others who have both practical (i.e. camping) and technical (i.e. education) experience to share.

I don't consider myself an expert by a long shot so when someone like a Ron G is willing to share - not only in these forums but with a very generous offline series of conversations to help me understand my specific setup - I am deeply grateful. And for what it's worth - the spirit in which that advice is offered strikes me as generously willing to help a fellow camper - not boastful one upmanship in the least.

There are other experts too - you can agree, disagree, what have you. That's what makes the forums useful to me.

Now that I feel I have enough technical understanding on some issues a a layman - I'm much more comfortable with my rig, how to drive, how to set up, how to camp, etc. I have enough experience at the scales that I'm comfortable just going once at the start of the season to fine tune and then enjoy the heck out of it.

Some of us like that. You may be fine without it. To each his own - but I don't think the discussion here is usually one upmanship.

For whatever that's worth :-)
Old 11-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #177
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Share Your Real World Tongue Weights & Trailer Weights

Sometimes we don't explain things in ways that make the info palatable. To each their own. I may be "biased" because of my experiences. For me THE truth is my truth. For Larry it may be a waste of bits-n-bytes, whatever THOSE are.

What are we trying to become as a "forum" is people who care. Chances are, most of you are... Jury still blinking at me personally.

If you are here to help, glad to have you... Let's figure out how to
Do that respectfully. Isn't that what yAll are saying?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:09 AM   #178
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
That's pretty harsh

I appreciate factual information provided by members with real knowledge.. AOT the cow puck one usually finds in forums
Old 11-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #179
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Not All That is Posted is Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
I've never seen so many people with so much knowledge, each one, just waiting to see if they can out do the one before.
On almost all of the forums that one may read, there are misleading and, sometimes, totally incorrect postings. Please don't rant, this is not a condemnation of any one person.

It is better to read many posts on a subject and learn to sift the correct information from the incorrect information. This is not easy, and it places a significant burden on the reader to learn enough to know what is correct ( or at least seek out an accepted expert in the field to determine what is the best thing to do).

We should be thankful that the people that post within their area of expertise are willing to do so,
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #180
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Dang Top, you may be on to something. Like in the good ole days when 2'Air kept them all honest and moderated the moderators.
Cheers!
Old 06-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #181
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Rather than starting a new thread I'm bumping this one and hoping to get it back on track per the OP's request (while interesting, the PP/HA hitch weight discussion was not the original point).

In that regard, I've also read the entire thread and it looks rare to find anyone with over 1500 lbs worth of "stuff" in their trailer, including water. I have a 30' FC Bunk that I won't be able to fully load and weigh for some time. Trying to figure out what the real weight loaded will be. If I recall correctly my dry weight is around 6400 lbs. The GVWR is 8800 lbs.

I had been basing my presumed weight on 8800 lbs (which seems prudent), but that might be way overkill.

Maybe the thread can continue with dry weight (per the mfr sticker on the trailer), wet weight as measured, and tongue weight? Thanks.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #182
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've seen .92 quoted on Woodalls as an average, and I think .85 good for GP use.

But, in all these things, too many factors come into play that only scale readings can be relied upon. The above percentages of GVWR might be quite high for some singles or couples.

I'd say the first reading should be the adjusted empty weight of the TV. There is the published shipping weight, but a run to the scale should be made where the TV

- has full fuel

- has all the owners gear or tools that are always in the TV

- the weight of the operator in the drivers seat.

This is the lightest the TV will be while in owners possession. The correct empty weight. Per factory standards, that the difference between ship weight and this weight must be removed from stated payload.

The TV will eventually have (5) weights recorded:

- 1) ship weight;

- 2) adjusted empty weight;

The following have to with loaded for a trip with pax, gear, fuel, etc

- 3) solo, loaded for travel while towing;

- 4) hitched, (as above); WD bars loose

- 5) hitched, (also as above); WD bars tensioned.