Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
Security

We have an 06 Classic 34. How do you secure this unit so no one can hook it up and haul it away?

On our 02 model we could take out the electric brake wire & the tires would drag.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:41 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenturnr
On our 02 model we could take out the electric brake wire & the tires would drag.
Ouch! If I am reading this correctly you were pulling out the cable to the breakaway switch. That is meant to be activated only in a situation where the trailer accidently disconnects from the tow vehicle. Two issues here, first it will drain your trailer battery if you are not hooked up to shore power (once the battery is dead, the brakes are released). If you are hooked up, you probably wil ruin the brake magnets by overheating them.

The most positive way to reduce the chance of losing your trailer is to provide some type of wheel lock. There are ideas and pictures in other threads. Here is a link for you to check out. http://www.airforums.com/forum...ht=wheel+locks

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet

http://www.tirelock.com/
and http://www.lojack.com/

Or just buy insurance from an AM Best AA or A++ rated Company and sleep well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32_universalBoot1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	16737   Click image for larger version

Name:	29_comboSet.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	16738  

NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Park it in a secured yard that has a guard dog and someone on site 24 hours. Still buy insurance.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
When I am done with restoration, I plan on contacting www.Lojack.com and installing a device that pinpoints the location of your rig within a 10 foot radius anywhere on the planet within minutes.

Hiding the unit in a large trailer would be a breeze and imagine the surprised look on the Perps face when the cops show up.....Let's hope they are careful between the time they take it and the time it is picked up.

Nothing is perfect but this is a sure way of getting it back in a short time.

Insurance is still a good idea.

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:15 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Bet it aint cheap

What does lojack cost?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
Is lojack expensive?

You pay about 700 dollars, as a one time fee.

If you own you couch for 10 year that is 70 dollars a year, 6 dollars a month or 1.50 a week - 20 cents a day....

approximate.... of course if you own it for 20 years its 10 cents a day.

-Jim Phillips
Old 11-29-2005, 07:49 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
anything worth doing is worth, overdoing !

-Jim Phillips
Old 11-29-2005, 08:27 PM   #9
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Security

This is how we do it.

100lb German Shepherd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCD security.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	16741  
ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
That should do it..... Gooood doggy !

-Jim Phillips
Old 11-30-2005, 01:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Casual vs. serious....

Hi all -

All you can do is deter the casual thief. The pro will get what he/she wants regardless.... Sorry, hate to deflate your utopia. Truth hurts, sometimes....

Deter the casual thief with hitch locks, wheel locks, chocks, etc... SLOW THEM DOWN!!!!!!!!!! That is enough to keep the casual thief from picking on you. Just as simple as, "Don't leave the keys in the ignition..." You can't know how many thefts occur for that 'key in the ignition' situation. Of course that is TV issues. Back to the trailer, SLOW them down.... That is all you gotta do.

Of course (here is my AS idiot of the month nomination - months later!), I drove off from a campground with the wheel lock in place. Gee, what was that grrr, whump, wham, whiz.... Did I hit something??? Nope, forgot to remove the wheel lock and it did it's job grrr - popped loose - whump, wham - then fell free - whiz. No harm done other than I felt like and @ss and was BEET red as I drove out of that campground.... Well, humility is a lesson in itself...! ?

Anyway, just do you best to slow the dumbies down and you are more than 50% ahead of things... the rest you can't really do anything about anyway. Just sigh, grin and bear it.

BTW, leave the door unlocked as I would rather they take whatever is inside than mess up the door lock/frame to get it anyway. Not sure about that logic but every time I see a ripped up side of an AS in the shop I think about that.... Still to be resolved I guess.

Another BTW - saw an SOB on the side of Old 66 here outside ALBQ with both roadside tires GONE - Trailer RIPPED to shreds. Parts ALL over the road for several hundred yards. Looked like a total based on damage I saw. Both roadside tires GONE - Serious damage to entire roadside with interior visible - clothes/items all over. Yikes! Wheelwells looks to be undistingushable from other parts of trailer. BAD!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:36 AM   #12
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I go with the 100 pound German Shepherd and back that up with an 80 pound bull dog that the Shepherd trained and a 40 pound bird dog that tells on everyone! They get really possessive about their Airstream!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
LoJack questions

1. Does the lojack run off of the battery of the TT, or does it have it's own power pack. I do not leave the battery connected when I store my trailer, this prevents someone from playing with the power jack while it is stored.
2. Can the signal that LoJack sends to activate the unit be received inside of the unit? Would a exterior antenna be needed?
3. Since my unit is in a storage yard, I would not know for days / weeks that my TT was missing. At that time it could be activated, does LoJack work in Mexico?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:36 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
Hey 65 GT -

I guess i have to throw in the towel. Lo jack is not available in the recesses of the Brazilian jungle, your a techno wiz.

Lets see, we had suggestions for protecting your coach by dog (kinda iffy), by studying orthographic T/R 1/4, 1/4 maps (Kinda not realistic) and by Lug pucky, huge hub appliance thingy which whips off in departure like some embarrasing loogy (damage not estimated) and we had 'LOJACK'.

Lojack maps and coverage areas are well defined, I don't know what you refer to regarding to or non-existant maps that used to be good but are no longer, suggesting that lojack is about to take a nose dive off the invention or stocks map.

I can assure you, based on my ignorant view of the world that this technology will continue to improve and be available in more and more places as time allows. It will become cheaper and I estimate that some day, your cell phone will tell anyone intrested exactly where you are and what color shirt you are wearing.

15 years ago GPS was a dream in somebodies head. 15 years from now, GPS will locate your coach on the top of Mt Everest.

The link is LoJack.com

Dig in, you never know what you might discover....

-Jim Phillips
Old 11-30-2005, 07:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
lojack

LoJack continually expands and improves the coverage network, so there may be additional coverage available than we show here. For current coverage information, call LoJack Customer Service at 1-(800)-4-LOJACK (800-456-5225).

-Jim Phillips
Old 11-30-2005, 07:30 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
The hell you say !

-Jim Phillips
Old 11-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
As the unflappable Albert the Aligator once said... I believe we have met the enemy... and he is us.

GT - Let's put this one to rest.

-Jim Phillips
Old 11-30-2005, 08:11 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
We are here to learn from each other, not necessarily to agree with each other. I continually work on a proper sense of my own humility. I need that cause without being mindful of that I might be obnoxious.

My greatest strength is my ability to admire, without reservation, the talents and skills, the blessing and above all the mercy of those in a position to help me.

I admire the people in this forum for there talents, skills, and generous willingness to support and help even perfect strangers. Tolerance is paramount and an ability to find your way back to center is a virtue.

Good job GT !

-Jim Phillips
Old 12-01-2005, 01:55 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

another thought about when you are actually using the coach.......a frien from norway told me,over there they blow sleeping/knockout gas into the coach while you are sleeping then while you are out they steal you blind.......
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #20
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by desi arnaz
....a frien from norway told me,over there they blow sleeping/knockout gas into the coach while you are sleeping then while you are out they steal you blind.......
Get a knockout gas alarm.

http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?p=9656
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote