Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2005, 07:35 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

I found a shot of the hitch support/lock. It hasn't been a problem as far as keeping the trailer level, occasionaly you have to slip some wood blocks under it if the ground is really rough but even then it's a lot more stable than resting on a jack, and the hitch is locked. While it won't stop a pro, it will make the casual crook look elsewhere. I usually have the jack up with the foot removed and the fuse for the jack removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch support.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	11160  
flsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:21 PM   #22
_

. , .
hi folks this will seem like a silly or inexperienced question....

does everyone take off their weight distributing/anti sway gear when storing? how do the hitch locks work if a hensley or equil i zer are used?

i'm leaning toward 1-2 wheel locks and something on the front when my new rig arrives....i can't park it at home and don't think they'll let me live in it at the storage place!

cheers
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:04 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Apache Junction , Arizona
I also had trouble with getting the right hitch lock so I called Airstream Customer Service and they did the research and Randy got back with me in 1 hour with the perfect fit, a Husky Universal Coupler Lock (#39594) from PPL Motor Homes in Houston, TX. www.pplmotorhomes.com
scotiabambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:35 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
2airishuman

First there is the security cable thru the Hensley hitch and the trailer A frame.

Second the Pit Bull wheel lock around the lead road side wheel. It’s on upside down because the longer grab hook fit better thru the outside of the wheel than on the inside, besides it allows the “lock circle” to be out of the direct rain flow. The bright yellow should call attention to it’s existence.

The details of how determined the thieves were made us decide that we’d hopefully make taking our trailer slightly more difficult than taking the local police crime scene wagon or the K9 unit with officer “K9” inside. Hopefully these steps will do it.

Good luck with your new Airstream and many “uneventful” years of enjoyable travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	security cable.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	13606   Click image for larger version

Name:	pitbull.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	13607  

Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:43 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Scotiabambi is right, the Husky brand does fit nice. It was hard to find one that would fit. The other brands like Master, Gorilla did not fit. I noticed that the steel around the ball is much thicker on an AS. I tried three locks befor I found the Huskey. I would still like to build or buy proper wheel lock.
Canuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:44 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

I really need spell check!
Canuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Canuks, we all could use spell check. IMHO the aluminum cam wheel locks are the only way to go. They are light, lockable, easy to use and store and best of all they work. If you want I can do some research and tell you who is now making them. I bought mine from Camping World, but to the best of my knowledge they are no longer carrying them.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:55 AM   #28
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Expanding chocks

I would not depend on the expanding between-the-wheels chocks for security. Last year, I had mine set on both sides when a severe hailstorm threatened. I was offered a shelter a couple of blocks away and I did a very quick hookup. I remembered everything except removing the expanding chocks. With the high torque of the diesel, I thought I was just trying to get out of the ruts where I was parked. I rolled the chocks right out from between the wheels.

The expanding chocks are still my favorite for when I am parked, especially when on levelling blocks. I will not depend on them for security, though.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:42 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
John I agree with the security thing. These wheel lock/chocks are cast aluminum and can easily be broken with the swing of a hammer. They are the best, most secure, easy to use wheel chocks that I have used. Crossed chains in the front and rear on the trailer pad locked to an anchor secured, concreted in the ground, is what we do in Florida to keep the units from being tossed around by high wind. It won't prevent someone from stealing it but it will make them take a little extra time specially if the chain and lock are case hardened.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote