Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rough ride in rear of trailer

I have a 2018 - 27' Flying Cloud with front bedroom. My issue is the ride in the rear of the trailer is so rough it literally ripped the table off it's hinges. Anything left in the rear is bounced all over the place anytime we move the trailer.

I have checked and the trailer is level when towing. The dealer checked the shocks and all looks good. Is this just the norm for the Airstream? Is there something that can be done to dampen out the ride in the rear?
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

Most likely it's your hitch settings...😳 Low tongue weight comes to mind.

Who set it up? (my experience, the dealer is not infallible, trust but verify)😂
What brand hitch?
Have you weighed it yet?
Photo's will help.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
What kind of hitch are you using? Are you getting any porpoising while driving? Are you storing any weight in the rear of the coach?
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Over inflated tires are often the cause of rough ride for the trailer. Use the load/inflation tables for your tires to determine optimum PSI (not likely the sidewall maximum inflation pressure.)
Old 10-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
What the others have said, and...

...we were told to put the table in the "bed" position while underway. Glad we have done so, as a few of the Alaska roads snuck up on us and we went through some frost heaves at a higher speed than optimal. Found cushions all over the rear of the 27FB at the next stop. I think our tongue weight is normal for the 27FB at about 1100# measured on the tongue weight scale.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
ASs typically ride very well compared to others. Your rough ride will be a direct result of one or more of those things already mentioned; The likely culprit(s) are improper weight distribution set up and over inflated trailer tires. You do not mention what you are towing with, but a TV with a stiff suspension will also contribute to your issue.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
Get centramatics.
dolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolson View Post
Get centramatics.
+1. I previously forgot to mention this, but TT wheel balance is also important and centramatics made a noticeable difference when I made the switch to 16" wheels and tires.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Most likely it's your hitch settings...[emoji15] Low tongue weight comes to mind.

Who set it up? (my experience, the dealer is not infallible, trust but verify)[emoji23]

What brand hitch?

Have you weighed it yet?

Photo's will help.

Bob

[emoji631]

Dealer set it up and just checked it over again. Got good sway bars and trailer looks like it tows smooth. I do not notice it in front at all - just the rear section.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
+1. I previously forgot to mention this, but TT wheel balance is also important and centramatics made a noticeable difference when I made the switch to 16" wheels and tires.

Hate to replace wheels on new AS - like to get a few miles out before doing that
Old 10-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Could be combination of hitch set up and that your tires are overinflated. I would bet the tires are the culprit if hitch is fine. If your using the newer GY Endurance (?) check the pressure charts for weight of your AS, loaded. When I weight my AS, it says the pressure should be between 45-50psi for my 28' weight; you should be close in there, I would think. My dealer had them set at 70psi; max pressure is 80psi...70 was way too stiff...I lost rivets and some screws came out on door hinges including bigger closet in middle after a couple hundred miles this summer. I lowered to 45-48PSI, got the TPMS monitors from TST, and have not had any issues since. That was 4 months and 5k miles ago, coming home from MT to TX and couple local trips...

Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:00 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks3456 View Post
Dealer set it up and just checked it over again. Got good sway bars and trailer looks like it tows smooth. I do not notice it in front at all - just the rear section.
So you assume the set-up is done correctly?
I also assumed and was rong.😂👎

I'm a bit confused...if things are breaking it's hard to believe the AS is towing smooth.
Did the dealer get weights, did they use measurements to set up the hitch, did they/have they road tested with you. Again, a bouncing rear end usually indicates a light tongue weight, you won't know for sure 'til you weigh.

Good Luck...

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks3456 View Post
I have a 2018 - 27' Flying Cloud with front bedroom. My issue is the ride in the rear of the trailer is so rough it literally ripped the table off it's hinges. Anything left in the rear is bounced all over the place anytime we move the trailer.

I have checked and the trailer is level when towing. The dealer checked the shocks and all looks good. Is this just the norm for the Airstream? Is there something that can be done to dampen out the ride in the rear?
.....Slow down.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
.....Slow down.....

I drive no faster than 60 - in Calif it is against the law to drive over 55 with a trailer
Old 10-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
What is the TV, and what tire inflation do you have on it? Another possible place to look is the hitch bars. What weight rating are they compared to the tongue weight? The bars are designed to flex and help with the ride. Also, some of our highways are in such deplorable condition that things shake apart at any speed!! You must get this solved before you shake the trailer apart. I don't think that warranty will cover this problem.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If you do not mind, tell use what TV, what hitch, what size wheels, and what pressure are you running. All of these things might have a bearing on ride. Have the wheels been balanced?

Our table hinges came off on our trailer but it was diagnosed as user error. We leave the table set up now instead of folded down. We do not have a rough ride. But it sounds like you do.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
As asked - which hitch? what tow vehicle? what tire pressure?

Speed is only partially the driver for a rough ride. The road surface can be a prevailing element. We have had to slow to 50 mph or less to protect the rig.

FYI - you do not have to change wheels to add Centramatics.

There is a thread on the Reese Dual Cam that addresses the use of lighter weight bars as the stiffness of the tow vehicle increases. Some value with other hitches is assumed. Worth doing some research on the performance folks have experienced with some bar weight changes.

Good Luck with your rig tuning. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Single vs Dual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
If your using the newer GY Endurance (?) check the pressure charts for weight of your AS, loaded.
Hi Gypsydad, interesting post. The chart you posted has "usage" of "single". If you have dual wheels on your AS is there a different chart to be used?

I have TP inflated to 80 PSI which is what is on the sticker on the side of my AS. I was advised by the dealer to always inflate to 80. Perhaps this is too high? After our last tow pillows and stuff were on the floor when we stopped.

We have a TPMS but I haven't installed it yet. Will install before our next long tow. Perhaps I should reduce the TP as well.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:53 AM   #19
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Tandem Axles - Tire Inflation Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
... The chart you posted has "usage" of "single". If you have dual wheels on your AS is there a different chart to be used?
You have tandem axles with a 'single' wheel on each end of the axle, not dual wheels. That is what the chart is referring to. Dual wheels or 'duallys' are two wheels on the end of each axle - like in a tractor-trailer.

Ideally you would weigh each wheel and inflate the tires to support the most heavily loaded wheel. Rarely is the maximum inflation pressure on the Airstream sticker or the tire sidewall needed to support the load - especially for a tandem axle trailer.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Thanks Ray.

Found this on the Goodyear RV tires site at https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...n-loading.aspx

"IMPORTANT: It's a common practice for RV owners to lower tire pressure in their search for a smoother ride. This is not only dangerous, it's relatively ineffective, as the difference in ride quality is not significant. When minimum inflation pressure requirements are not met, tire durability and optimum operating conditions are compromised. Tire inflation pressure should always meet at least the minimum guidelines for vehicle weight."

As many have posted here whether or not "it's relatively ineffective" might be argued with...

The tire inflation charts indicate maximum PSI but not minimum that I can see. How do you determine minimum inflation pressure requirements for your tires? Seems like you want to strike a balance between minimum and maximum based on your weight.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote