Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2018, 09:30 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Yep, just listen to the experts here and you will always be fine.

Regarding ST tires, the conventional wisdom shared by the tire engineers is that by reducing air pressure you will increase sidewall flex. Increasing flex will increase heat and it is heat that destroys these tires.

We just got back from a 4500 mile trip through MT, ND, up into Canada, then back into MN, WI, NE, WY and then back through MT, ID to WA.

We traveled some very crummy roads most of which were the cement sectioned variety although the high line in Montana was under construction and was not a pretty thing.

We had some shaking, a few cushions on the floor and a bulletin board came off the mounts. Nothing broken and no open drawers. I was running 70 in my tires and will continue to do that to avoid the over heated issues. I think the OP who has gone underground has a different issue than just air pressure. I would check the weights and the hitch AND make sure the tires are all balanced. After that it sounds like a real mystery.
Are you suggesting the Mfg. recommended tire pressures for given weights should be superseded by the "experts" here on the Forum?? Com'on now... The Endurance ST tire charts are working for most of us. If you like to run your tires at max pressure and shake the heck out of your rig, that's your business. OP was asking about why he has things coming appart...I had that situation when I switched from my GYM's earlier this year and the dealer put on my GYEndurance tires, filled to 70psi...I corrected the pressure, as many on the Forum here have suggested, to the recommended pressure...I run between 45-50psi for my weight set up...I just put 5K miles on my rig last few months including driving back from MT thru Tetons, Capital Reef, Santa Fe, etc... and no issues with the tires and no screws or rivets loose. Tells me the pressure is fine. I also monitored my TPMS the whole way...no temperature issues. Your concern about overheating may be valid if you "under inflate" your tires for given load...but the chart is put out by the Goodyear for that tire, for a reason...these are not Michelins LT tires... Just saying... But, you should do what your going to do anyway...good luck.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
If the manufacturer says to ride with the table down and you don't? Whats to discuss? Once my wife suggested she sleep in the trailer while I drove. I said OK you ride back here to the entrance of the park and I'll pull over, then you can decide if that's a good idea or not. She got out saying "Oh My God, that's nothing like the truck". It really is just like The Long Long Trailer. We use bubble wrap around anything glass and child safety clips on all drawers.It's not a car or truck.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Phoenix , Arizona
We have noticed the same thing. Never ripped the table off but everything not secure is thrown around the trailer.
rkteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
things bounce around

I have the 20' FC with rear kitchen. My locker was falling off the back wall. Partly due to shape and fitting in to a round wall to a square hole kinda situation. Had to get more screws to hold it in place. I have decreased the tire pressure, have a great set up regarding weight, have weighed it, drive no more than 65, and things still bounce. I think it is because those who have rear beds don't realize how much movement is behind the rear axle in the front bed layouts. Ours is all hard "stuff". Also those Northern roads are rough!!! Much smoother in the South.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Clayton , North Carolina
This might have been suggested in a response in the previous 4 pages, but I’ll mention it again. Have your tires balanced. That’s it. Out of balanced tires can severely shake things up in your trailer and stress your suspension. I took before and after readings using an NVH analyzer. Prior to balancing tires, I had a reading of 35dBg. After balancing, <10dBg. This was driving at 50 mph.
BALANCE YOUR TIRES.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I had the same experience with our FC 27FB. I added an AirSafe hitch to our Blue Ox hitch. Problem solved. Much smoother ride. Eliminated stuff falling on floor and greatly reduced number of popped rivets.

http://airsafehitch.com/receivers/product-overview/

http://airsafehitch.com/receivers/class-v/
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #47
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Every once in a while the suggestion to balance tires comes up. It always surprises me as it has been my thought that all tires need balancing. Early on it was explained in a thread that tire distributors assume trailer tires do not need to be balanced. So that seems to be the source of that thought.

The suggestion to balance is wise. Always insist on having a premium balance. If the dealer objects, find another dealer.

And before you move on, consider Centramatics. They are not a replacement for balancing. They augment the balance and provide that last bit of tune to eliminate imbalance from brake drums, hubs and other components that may not be addressed with the tire work.

Travel safe and with a smile. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

Morro Bay , California
If you get the chance, watch The Long, Long Trailer with Desi Arnez and Lucille Ball. Not sure they have answer to your problem except do not ride back there while towing!
jzuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
As mentioned, check your WD hitch settings. We’re still dialing in our Blue Ox bar tension and found the TV shaking on one particularly rough highway. Turned out to be too tight which effectively locked the trailer and TV as one. That amplified the rough highway and transmitted it to both. It’s worth a try.
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #50
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
I had the same experience with our FC 27FB. I added an AirSafe hitch to our Blue Ox hitch. Problem solved. Much smoother ride. Eliminated stuff falling on floor and greatly reduced number of popped rivets.

http://airsafehitch.com/receivers/product-overview/

http://airsafehitch.com/receivers/class-v/
The OP doesn't have a... "2018 Ram/Cummins 3500"
The last thing his Ford 150 needs is an 'air' anything.

He is most likely learning on his own...he'll be fine. 😂👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
I have the 20' FC with rear kitchen. My locker was falling off the back wall. Partly due to shape and fitting in to a round wall to a square hole kinda situation. Had to get more screws to hold it in place. I have decreased the tire pressure, have a great set up regarding weight, have weighed it, drive no more than 65, and things still bounce. I think it is because those who have rear beds don't realize how much movement is behind the rear axle in the front bed layouts. Ours is all hard "stuff". Also those Northern roads are rough!!! Much smoother in the South.
Not sure if your saying your "within" the tire manufacturers recommended PSI for your AS weight or not? I would still check that; if you have an ST rated tire, your sidewalls are stiffer then an LT tire and pressure could still be your problem. Balance could also be the culprit. This sort of thing is less noticed with dual axel trailers I would also note.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
I have decreased the tire pressure, have a great set up regarding weight, have weighed it, drive no more than 65, and things still bounce. .
...regarding weight...post the CAT tickets, that will help those who are attempting to help.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Paradise Valley , Arizona
Interesting about tire pressure. Dealer told me to keep my 27 Globetrotter 15" wheels inflated to 70/80#. Trailer weighs just under 8000, so chart would show about 50#.
xisme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by xisme2 View Post
Interesting about tire pressure. Dealer told me to keep my 27 Globetrotter 15" wheels inflated to 70/80#. Trailer weighs just under 8000, so chart would show about 50#.
Not sure the dealers are the best source of tire pressure...when I got my new Endurance tires this past summer, the Discount Tire guys were beaming when they told me the new tires were filled to 70psi! Wasn't until I saw a couple rivets and screws on the floor after a couple short trips, I started reading the recommended tire pressure charts here on the Forum...I adjusted my pressures down for my AS, and no problems now.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
It can be all so confusing, as normally you should inflate to what is recommended on the manufacturer's sticker. This certainly holds true for passenger vehicles. But my own experience with trailer tires is, use the tire manufacturer's inflation tables based on weight. This will ensure you will be safe and have the most comfortable ride for your TV and TT.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote