Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Rough Ride

Has anyone found a way to improve the ride of our two trucks. I have a Dodge 2500 and sadly it rides like a truck. I would like to know how to improve the ride of this truck or any pick up. What can one do to soften the unexpected pot hole? I have the best shocks available and was wondering if there were other ways to improve the handling of our tow vehicles? For example Firestone has an air suspension system. Will these make my dodge ride more like an Olds 98 or Caddy?
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
You don't indicate what year your Dodge is, but you do indicate that it's a 2500. I also would be curious as to your bidget constraints, which may determine your solution.

I have a 2010 Ford F250 and it rides like a dream... My 2003 F250 was a great truck, but might have contributed to my back problems! . I'm sure anyone driving a new 2011 or 2012 F250 would say their truck is a significant leap forward from earlier years (which is why I refuse to test drive one; ignorance is bliss). Newer models have made huge leaps in ride quality and comfort.

You might consider switching to a 1500 if you are able financially, or trying models from other manufacturers for ride quality. Very few of us really need a 3/4 ton truck to tow our trailers... You may also consider your tires; stiffer sidewalls help handling but stiffen the ride.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"For example Firestone has an air suspension system. Will these make my dodge ride more like an Olds 98 or Caddy?"

Air bag add-on...no it will not "soften" the ride, only level the suspension after loading.

Complete air suspension...yes, but expensive.

If your worried about the rough ride damaging the Airstream, quite a few folks use the Air-safe hitch.

Bob
Old 04-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Trucks are what they are, The higher the towing capacity the stiffer the suspension. I agree with Hibby, the newer trucks do ride better. I have an F-150 that is a dream even empty. The hands down best riding truck I have driven is a recent (2011?) Dodge Ram with the coil spring suspension. That truck was more car like than any truck I have ever been in! It had a truly amazing ride though I have no idea what it is like as a tow vehicle.
One other thing I wanted to say about your original post. You spoke about using the "best shocks available", I wonder if they are gas shocks? Some single tube gas shocks actually add to the spring rate of the vehicle thus making it stiffer! I have spent a lot of time talking people out of the idea of KYB Gas-a Just single tube shocks in passenger cars used in our typical New England conditions as they just stiffen the car too much. The difference can be remarkable! I have seen structural damage done to cars using too stiff a shock absorber. That is not to say that in California they wouldn't be perfect! I think the same applies to trucks. There is not a one size fits all shock. You need the right tool for the right job....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The R4 Firestone system is on my list this year or the next. A matching set of the same shock absorber brand & type for the FF axle once the RR axle is done.

I also plan to change over to hydraulic body mounts as with the 2010 and later trucks.

Folks who "go all the way" pay for conversion to air ride seats (in conjunction with an air ride suspension FF & RR) on the 4WD models.

It's all a matter of how much a wallet can take.

In the meantime, tire pressure according to load is the best start. Neither too high, nor too low.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I installed the Firestone system on my former TV before my Airstream upgrade. We had a large fifth wheel then. It did take out some of the buck of the a rough interstate while towing, but simply made the suspension stiffer while empty.

At my work, we have one ambulance with a factory installed and Ford approved rear air suspension. It was installed mainly to allow the back of the F450 chassis to squat. The standard chassis is too tall to load an ambulance cot at the standard height. It is a hunk of junk. It requires constant service and wallows like a fat pig going down the road..

I prefer the ride of GM trucks. The independent front suspension provides a much better ride and drive than the single axle systems. Although purists will claim it is not a "truck" suspension.

We also opted for an Airsafe hitch system. It provides a little softer link between the TV and trailer.

Regards,
JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I HAD a 2007 GMC 2500HD and it beat the h--- out of me when not towing. I traded it for a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 and it rides almost like a car, but it is still a truck.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Rough Ride

If your pickup has leaf springs in the rear, a spring shop can either build custom leaf springs or remove one or more leaves from the existing springs. I was considering this with my one and only pickup, but decided there were too many compromises with pickups of any kind and I returned to a full-size SUV for my tow vehicle. My 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban rides like a Cadillac and has the power and capacity to tow any Airstream that I might want to own. I special ordered it without heavy duty springs (it still has the heavy duty trailer towing package rated at 10,000 pounds). My special order also included the LT luxury interior package with extra sound insulation and premium bucket seats with heat and lumbar supports - - my pickup that I traded also had the LT luxury interior package, but nothing short of a complete redesign of the suspension would have corrected the ride of that pickup (the pickup was also a K1500 and only had a 6,500 trailer tow package). I also run premium gas charged shocks at all four corners on the Suburban.

Kevin

P.S.: I have "test driven" new pickups as they are usually what my dealer provides as a loaner when my Suburban is in the shop for its annual super-check-up. My dealer has learned after nearly 14 years that it is futile to try to sell me another pickup - - I suspect that the Suburban is going to be the last tow vehicle that I will need.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
When not towing, you should consider reducing the air pressure in those Load Range "E" tires. I Run 40 psi when not towing.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
I have a 1998 dodge 2500 diesel. It get 15 to 17 mpg. It is old but a new truck will cost me at least 20,000 more to buy a newer truck. I am skeptical whether a newer truck will help my ride as much as it will cost. I was willing to spend 5,000 if it did deliver a comfortable ride. I have ridden in new trucks and they do ride much better than my old ram but in two years they will deterioate as mine has. I like my truck and I religiously resist the false that the new stuff is better than the old. I see nothing new in truck suspension system. Indeed it seems like the same old stuff. I am certain when my dodge was new it had a great ride.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
If you are not going to use the truck to full capacity at any time, talk to a competent spring shop about an alternate set of rear leafs. My 2003 GMC dually is fitted with an off-the-shelf alternate set of GM springs that normally reside under ambulance bodies. Not only did it greatly improve the ride, it lowered the rear-end height to a point where the truck body is almost dead level - eliminating the hiked up appearance of an unloaded dually. I kept the original springs - which can be replaced, using new shackles, in less than two hours.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The major difference in going up the ladder from 1/2 ton to 1 ton is heavier suspension and springs. Shocks won't do much for you, as they provide resistance to change in direction, but don't hold the truck up - the springs do that. Soft riding vehicles will use lower and progressive spring rates, and longer travel. That way, the first few inches of suspension can be fairly plush, but the spring rate jacks up as it compresses.

Companies like Deaver make spring packs with 10 or more leafs in some applications, which can give a fantastic ride. The trade off is your truck will handle like a desert racer - great for bouncing over bumps... kind of sloppy in the turns. So, the fix for that is an air suspension you use when you want to increase the spring rates for towing or hauling.

Up front, same idea... you can go to a progressive-rate spring to give you a better ride over smaller hits... front coils can be anywhere from $100 to $300 each, and rear leaf packs $800 to $1200... more or less.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
It is what it is. That is so perceptive. Did you learn that in college or trade school? Thanks for great information. I trust your 4 stars were made with similar insight. Thanks Loads
Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPorter View Post
Has anyone found a way to improve the ride of our two trucks. I have a Dodge 2500 and sadly it rides like a truck. I would like to know how to improve the ride of this truck or any pick up. What can one do to soften the unexpected pot hole? I have the best shocks available and was wondering if there were other ways to improve the handling of our tow vehicles? For example Firestone has an air suspension system. Will these make my dodge ride more like an Olds 98 or Caddy?
I would say the info about Deaver . . and all the other info here was provided in request to the above. The lack of tech spec didn't make it easier, but it had plenty of responses fairly made.

Someone need a lil' drinkie-poo? Forget their happy pill today?

The 3rd Gen Dodge trucks have considerable advances over the earlier ones. 4-whl disc brakes. Better suspension geometry. Better NVH control. Etc.

No reason that a '98 (which has it's own advantages) can't also be improved. There are other full air ride options out there (KELDERMANN) which might work. And tons more info on CumminsForum, Turbodieselregister and DieselTruckResource.

Good luck

Old 04-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
little rock , Arkansas
I had a 2002 ram 2500 4x4 (same body style as yours). It was a short bed extended cab. The ride was really rough. I changed the shocks on the front and back to bilstein. It made it ride quite a bit better. If you really want a smooth ride, there is a company called Kore that makes a complete suspension kit. I think you can specify the ride height. I don't have first hand experience with the ride that you get with the Kore kit. I will say that there was a noticeable improvement with the Bilstein shocks and it only cost about $300 to replace all 4. It won't ride as smooth as a new truck but it won't cost near as much either.
kos221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
There is a type of rubber spring shackle that will somewhat improve the ride in the rear of pickup trucks that use leaf springs, but I have no personal experience with them: https://www.sulastic.com/Default.aspx

I have had friends report that they do help.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
The new 2010+ RAM ride is superior to my comparably equipped 2008 RAM.

I have heard and read Bilstein shocks WILL take a good amount of stiffness out of the ride on rougher roads. Load in the bed helps a ton, as does reducing tire pressure.

The Yellow/Blue shock on the following page is what I will be getting soon:
Dodge Ram Shock Absorbers-Geno's Garage

Also look at Carli suspension systems.
Dodge Ram Suspension - Carli Starter System
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Out 2500 Ram (2012 model) is REALLY stiffly sprung -with 45 psi in the rears, speed bumps on the down side shake you to the bones even at <5mph.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Tires make a difference too. Michelins are made to ride smoothly and they do.

3/4 ton will ride more stiffly than 1/2 ton generally. Our Tundra rides fairly smoothly and has been the same from when we bought it in 2007.

It will never ride like a sedan because it is a truck. If you are looking for a car to tow with, ask CanAm what would work, but they would probably stiffen the suspension a bit.

It doesn't seem you need a 3/4 ton truck for your trailer unless you are carrying a lot of very heavy stuff in the truck. Since you have bought used before, you don't have to buy new now either—see what 1/2 ton trucks are holding up best (hint—it is Tundra).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The OP's TT is just big enough that TW and bed load can work well together for those long, long trips.

KONI FSD shock absorbers and SULASTIC rear spring shackles are probably the most cost effective ride/handling upgrades past MICHELIN or BRIDGESTONE tires with pressure dialled in according to actual loads.