Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #57

2013 25' Flying Cloud
1958 18' "Footer"
Fort Worth , TX
Put my deposit down today for the Rivian R1T! We typically drive about 5 hours per day anyway, so 200-250 miles of range while towing would work for us. As far as I can tell you can charge most EV's with the 50amp hookup in campgrounds in about 8 hours? Seems to me that would be a perfect setup! We also carry a generator, so in a pinch could hook up and recharge off of that. (I know, kinda defeats the whole purpose of an EV, but certainly could bail you out in an emergency.)

Old 02-26-2019, 02:01 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Rivian Electric Truck and SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk
far as I can tell you can charge most EV's with the 50amp hookup in campgrounds in about 8 hours? Seems to me that would be a perfect setup! We also carry a generator, so in a pinch could hook up and recharge off of that. (I know, kinda defeats the whole purpose of an EV, but certainly could bail you out in an emergency.)

It is a violation of policy at many campgrounds (and illegal at some state park campgrounds) to charge an EV as the cost model and infrastructure isnít designed for something that draws 100kwh in a day.

You may want to do the math on the generator idea, a 15amp charge rate to put 180kwh into the truck is going to take a while (5-days?).

Old 02-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
It is a violation of policy at many campgrounds (and illegal at some state park campgrounds) to charge an EV as the cost model and infrastructure isnít designed for something that draws 100kwh in a day.

You may want to do the math on the generator idea, a 15amp charge rate to put 180kwh into the truck is going to take a while (5-days?).
Whether itís two big AC units or an EV charging I donít think the infrastructure can tell the difference. Both at the same time could be a problem. Just be careful to disguise the cord 😎

Iíve seen a few plugged in here and there, discreetly.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59
Whether itís two big AC units or an EV charging I donít think the infrastructure can tell the difference. Both at the same time could be a problem. Just be careful to disguise the cord

Iíve seen a few plugged in here and there, discreetly.

A/C units donít consume wire rate continuously all day and night in most locales. Planning for EVs is different than most loads due to the amount of time truly at full rate, it can completely change the transformer requirements due to the continuous load rather than a cyclical one.

Find me an RV A/C that is going to draw full circuit rating continuously for 180kwh of energy. We are talking about full 50amp rate at 240V, not 30amps on one 120V circuit in the cord set and 20amps on the other.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk View Post
Put my deposit down today for the Rivian R1T! We typically drive about 5 hours per day anyway, so 200-250 miles of range while towing would work for us. As far as I can tell you can charge most EV's with the 50amp hookup in campgrounds in about 8 hours? Seems to me that would be a perfect setup! We also carry a generator, so in a pinch could hook up and recharge off of that. (I know, kinda defeats the whole purpose of an EV, but certainly could bail you out in an emergency.)

I would have constant anxiety on the road with my AS being restricted to how far I can go under what conditions and at the same time making it somewhere specific so I can refuel. You might as well forget making any real time driving through mountainous terrain. That could cut your range further.
Not for me thank you. Take all the fun out of being on the road and carefree.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Rivian has been secretly testing its electric trucks disguised as Ford F-150s

Rivian, the startup electric vehicle company developing an electric pickup capable of up to 400 miles of range, has apparently been doing much of its road testing in Detroit under the disguise of the Ford F-150.
Rivian R1T: The Electric Pickup With a Front Trunk That Does 0 to 60 MPH in 3 Seconds
For months now, Jalopnik has been getting tips sent in of funny-seeming F-150 pickups that appear to be missing tailpipes, or with other weird or missing features, with many speculating that the trucks were actually the upcoming hybrid version of the F-150 or some other electrified Ford. You can see some photos of an F-150 charging, for example, over on Carscoops.
But now it seems like some of these weird test vehicles could have actually been Rivian prototypes, at least according to R.J. Scaringe, founder and CEO of Rivian. Hereís the part of an interview mentioning the disguised test trucks, from the Detroit Free Press:

Justin T. Westbrook - Jalopnik - February 27, 2019

While itís not too unusual for automakers to disguise their test vehicles, sometimes with design cues seemingly meant to mimic competitors, itís sort of funny that Rivianís skateboard platform fits the wheelbase of the F-150 so perfectly, as the F-150 is probably actually the benchmark for the R1Tís design and designed to be similar in size to the Ford.
With the companyís explosive reveal at last yearís LA Auto Show and Amazon recently leading an investment of $700 million in Rivian, the company has gone from an unknown startup to a hyped up segment leader in the development of electric pickups.
The Detroit Free Press story also mentions that Rivian claims to have exceeded its expectations for orders of its R1T pickup and R1S seven-seat SUV, with more vehicles planned to be announced later next year. The CEO wouldnít comment on rumors of potential talks between Rivian and GM, but it seems like a lot could change between now and then.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #63

2013 25' Flying Cloud
1958 18' "Footer"
Fort Worth , TX
Quote:

All things to consider, certainly. I've asked several campgrounds and most don't seem to have an issue with charging an EV. Perhaps that will change when it becomes more commonplace.

I wouldn't fully charge with a generator, but if you miscalculated and ran out of juice in the middle of nowhere, thinking it may work just to get down the road to a bit. Forced boondocking, I suppose!

Seems the Rivian may have a "jerry can" option in development as well, where you can carry an extra battery for additional range.

I am looking forward to experimenting and the additional "adventure" of towing with an EV!
Old 02-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Maybe not in Alaska, yet

Fascinating discussion. EV and electrical devices are just fun to use and think about. Our solar installation at the remote cabin is a huge improvement over the fossil fuel route for lights and tools (vs elec on a generator or white gas lights.)

But with the cost of electricity in most Alaska markets, can't recommend brining your EV tow vehicle north. Ditto through remote Canada. There are a lot of good reasons to pursue the EV track, but likely will be some time until practical for much of the less densely populated US and Canada. Fossil fuel is still too cheap and effective, for now.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshier View Post
Fascinating discussion. EV and electrical devices are just fun to use and think about. Our solar installation at the remote cabin is a huge improvement over the fossil fuel route for lights and tools (vs elec on a generator or white gas lights.)

But with the cost of electricity in most Alaska markets, can't recommend brining your EV tow vehicle north. Ditto through remote Canada. There are a lot of good reasons to pursue the EV track, but likely will be some time until practical for much of the less densely populated US and Canada. Fossil fuel is still too cheap and effective, for now.
I can see where finding charging stations would be a problem, but doesn't the electricity to run an electric vehicle cost a lot less than the equivalent distance in diesel or gas, fuels which also tend to be a lot more expensive in remote areas?

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
Old 02-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
To be clear. I am _not_ anti-EV, however a commuter EV is drastically different than a TV EV. I say this as a former (and future) EV owner, as a realist or knowing the challenges. I have friends that have driven from the MX border up into Canada on the west coast in their Teslaís, but Iím not going to overlook the challenges and issues for the sake of
Old 03-01-2019, 06:54 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
When EV-RV's become more popular there'll be campsites with a charging post, just like power pedestals with 50 amps have become more normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
My electric bike, which I quite like, promises me a 93 mile range when it's fully charged. 45 miles later, the battery is depleted. I know, apples and oranges, but it's easy to promise stuff.
Whenever I hear "Up to" I know it means, "Never more than" rather than "No problem".
I can throw a football "up to" 100 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPJ View Post
I don’t get it.

Given that most electricity in the US is still produced by burning fossil fuels, charging an electric car can indirectly generate similar amounts of greenhouse gases to a petrol-powered vehicle.
What are you, some kind of trouble maker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Rivian R1T: The Electric Pickup With a Front Trunk That Does 0 to 60 MPH in 3 Seconds
When we see a pallet of concrete blocks in the road, we can think, "Electric truck."
Electric motors have maximum torque right from a standing start, so 0-60 is impressive.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
DavidsonOverlander, on the road system it is also a matter of availability. There are still places along the road where there is no step-down from the high volume wires running between cities. And off the road system, both the vehicles and the electrical generation are running off small quantity (expensive) barge or aircraft(!) delivered liquid fuel, in the vast majority of communities.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
As a recently retired OEM manufacturer rep, an ASer, owner of a pickup TV and a Chevy Volt, I would not buy an EV tow vehicle. Not until range, and recharge availability matches (nearly) what it takes for fossil fuel. And cost of charge must be substantially less than fuel. Love my volt, for fuel free local driving and solo regional travel. I'm at about 70% electric miles.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
As a recently retired OEM manufacturer rep, an ASer, owner of a pickup TV and a Chevy Volt, I would not buy an EV tow vehicle. Not until range, and recharge availability matches (nearly) what it takes for fossil fuel. And cost of charge must be substantially less than fuel. Love my volt, for fuel free local driving and solo regional travel. I'm at about 70% electric miles.
I think the Rivian is more like a commuter pickup truck, for those who use a pickup daily but donít necessarily tow with it. Half the vehicles here at work are pickups, and many have never towed.

For someone like me who prefers a real full-size car (not the front wheel drive midsize cars they try to pass off as full size) a light pickup makes a good daily driver. The half ton is todayís ďcarĒ.

Closed Thread