Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank
Sounds good as long as I don't have to subsidize your purchase.

But the existing and decades of subsidies for your fossil fuel powered truck are ok though?

Old 12-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1985 32' Excella
Valley Village , California
Just saw their display at the Los Angeles Auto Show. Very impressive! So many guys there working in the display to answer questions and show you details. Both the truck and SUV looked very production-ready. Very polished and well executed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rivian SUV.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	329304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rivian SUV 2018.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	329305  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rivian Truck.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	329306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rivian chassis display.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	329307  

Old 12-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
But the existing and decades of subsidies for your fossil fuel powered truck are ok though?
To begin with I never stated that. I am opposed to all government subsidies for privet businesses.
The development of the IC engine driven vehicles was not subsidized by government. Every single EV venture is based on Government Subsidies as a business model. And the chances that the electricity generation to recharge the EV is subsidized as well.
I did not get a hefty tax break buying my Ford 3/4 ton power stroke diesel and to my knowledge neither did Ford.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Most European countries, and many others around the world, have adopted deadlines for total bans on petroleum based autos/trucks. It's only a matter of time before the US does the same. California (and one other state I think) are already pondering their versions of a ban.

So it's important that electric truck be developed and quickly. If a subsidy accelerates development here then maybe auto worker jobs stay in the USA.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #33
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I did not get a hefty tax break buying my Ford 3/4 ton power stroke diesel and to my knowledge neither did Ford.
I donít think you did, but you do get a significant subsidy every time you fill it up.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Most European countries, and many others around the world, have adopted deadlines for total bans on petroleum based autos/trucks. It's only a matter of time before the US does the same. California (and one other state I think) are already pondering their versions of a ban.

So it's important that electric truck be developed and quickly. If a subsidy accelerates development here then maybe auto worker jobs stay in the USA.

Keep on dreaming.
Sixty five percent of the French and western Europe in general is driving diesel cars. The slapping of the carbon tax on to diesel fuel took it from 5+ to 7+ dollars per gallon unleashing a backlash the likes of which hasn't been seen since their last revolution. In the meantime the people also got education regarding the climate change hoax and for the first time they are rejecting that as well.
We get the daily update from my wives relatives.
Over sixty percent of the luxury cars sold in Germany today are diesel powered.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:50 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
This is a good thread about the upcoming potential and qualities of an Electric Vehicle.

Let's not get it shut down by trading insults, inserting politics and going of on soapboxes about unrelated topics.

Please.

Hittenstiehl
Old 12-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #36
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Keep on dreaming.
Sixty five percent of the French and western Europe in general is driving diesel cars. Ö..We get the daily update from my wives relatives.
Over sixty percent of the luxury cars sold in Germany today are diesel powered.
Your relatives might appreciate some new data sources. Instead of spreading misinformation, let them know what is really happening.

Diesel sales for passenger vehicle new sales in Europe have declined significantly, depending on the country. Projections are it will be down to 5% market share by 2030.

Quote:
ďThe disaffection towards diesel engine cars is spreading all over Europe,Ē the International Energy Agency said in a report.
The sale market share of diesel cars in the European Union fell to 36.5 percent in the first half of 2018 from 42.5 percent in the first half of 2017, according to the IEA.

Sales declined by 16 percent during the period to 3.12 million units, with declines in Britain reaching 30 percent.
In Germany, home to some of the worldís biggest diesel car producers including Volkswagen AG and BMW, diesel car sales dropped to 31.1 percent of the total in the first half of 2018 from 41.3 percent a year earlier.
Full Article: https://www.reuters.com/article/euro...-idUSL8N1WS22L
Old 12-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Your relatives might appreciate some new data sources. Instead of spreading misinformation, let them know what is really happening.

Diesel sales for passenger vehicle new sales in Europe have declined significantly, depending on the country. Projections are it will be down to 5% market share by 2030.

Iíll be there in a couple weeks, and Iíll count a few cars. Last time was October and this thread was going. I did notice quite a few diesels but people are starting to buy gas cars. I also saw a surprising number of electric vehicles. I would say it was 50/50 gas and diesel by last count. They have diesel versions of a lot of the cars we have, like the Escape.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:

There is an underlining reason for this. We know why however and there would be argument's on the reason. The P word would come out and the next thing wala thread closed.

Best regards and safe travels
Old 12-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #39
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Iíll be there in a couple weeks, and Iíll count a few cars. Last time was October and this thread was going. I did notice quite a few diesels but people are starting to buy gas cars. I also saw a surprising number of electric vehicles. I would say it was 50/50 gas and diesel by last count. They have diesel versions of a lot of the cars we have, like the Escape.
It is certainly possible to count cars on the road, but that shows (anecdotally) the installed base, not the new sales. There is certainly a large installed base of diesel powered passenger vehicles. However, drastic drops in sales volumes give us a good idea what the future installed base is going to look like.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #40
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
There is an underlining reason for this. We know why however and there would be argument's on the reason. The P word would come out and the next thing wala thread closed.

Best regards and safe travels
The fact that diesel passenger vehicle sales are plummeting in Europe is not a political opinion, it is just a fact.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #41
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
I donít get it.

Given that most electricity in the US is still produced by burning fossil fuels, charging an electric car can indirectly generate similar amounts of greenhouse gases to a petrol-powered vehicle.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:

During the last 12 months we have visited relatives in Germany two times. We are going there for a wedding next August. We also have relatives in France and Hungary and visit all very often. And you can believe whatever published report you chose the facts on the ground do not support it. There is total news suppression and full blown generation of fake news to influence narrative in Western Europe. They have no FOX and if you read the EU version of the WSJ your head will spin.
Hungary is 180 degrees from the Western Countries.

Closed Thread