Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

marysville , Ohio
Replace Factory Installed Proportional Brake Controller

I have a 2014 Ford Expedition Limited with the factory installed tow package. This includes the proportional brake controller. I have a Hensley hitch installed and get the Hensley bump sometimes when stopping. Would disconnecting the factory installed brake controller and replacing it with a Prodigy P3 controller help eliminate this issue? Does the factory installed brake controller send as much current to the brakes as an aftermarket brake controller? Any help would be appreciated.
frotow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Have you tried adjusting it? Do you know the brand? Unless it’s an integrated controller that reads the brake pedal pressure, it’s probably just a timed unit and the Prodigy would be a big step up.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
You have to make sure you dial up the gain on the brake controller so the trailer brakes come on quicker and stronger. This will eliminate the bump.
Also make sure the trailer drum brakes are properly and equally adjusted. The could be a case where you may have brakes that are not equally adjusted, worn brake magnets, worn brake shoes or there could be a fault with the factory controller.
If I were in your shoes I would start with:
- dialing up the gain on the controller and if this doesn't help;

- test each wheel by unplugging the umbilical cord and pull the emergency brake pin and check each wheel with a compass. The North arrow should swing fully toward or fully away from each brake drum. If his doesn't help;

- adjust the brakes shoes on the trailer with a handy dandy brake spoon; If this doesn't help;

- inspecting the brakes by pulling the drum to check the magnet, shoes and springs and associated wiring. If this doesn't help;
- have the brake controller checked to see if it works properly - output amperage. Probably need a dealer for this check. If this doesn't help;
- replace the factory controller (I have never heard complaints over the Ford factory controllers unless they have gone bad).
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote