Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

west orange , New Jersey
Regs regarding towing

I am heading out on my maiden voyage on December 20th. NJ to Florida. In tow, besides my new 27' flying cloud will be my three childreen under three, my wonderful wife who finally approved the AS

So, I expect there to be a challenge or two along the way, as I am new to RVing. Since I promised my wife that this would be the beginning of a wonderful relationship, I figure I should ask the pro's:
What should I be thinking about?

I imagine that I may be limited to expressways rather than parkways. How does one plan to avoid these roads with standard GPS.
Please feel free to offer any advice. Marital in particular
Thanks
famlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Have you camped in your Airstream at all?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Have you camped in your Airstream at all?

Brian
I Believe the OP stated in another post that he is picking up his Airstream on December 5th, so I think the answer to your question is no.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Regs regarding towing

Greetings famlyman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by famlyman View Post
I am heading out on my maiden voyage on December 20th. NJ to Florida. In tow, besides my new 27' flying cloud will be my three childreen under three, my wonderful wife who finally approved the AS

So, I expect there to be a challenge or two along the way, as I am new to RVing. Since I promised my wife that this would be the beginning of a wonderful relationship, I figure I should ask the pro's:
What should I be thinking about?
Something that many novice RVers encounter while getting acquainted with their rig and towing responsibilities is adjusting to what I like to think of as the "RV mindset". Travel stress can be greatly decreased if you aren't pushing for unrealistic speed and/or distance goals. I began towing during the universal 55 MPH speed limit days so didn't have the speed pressure, but did have the distance pressure. When friends new to RVing have asked me about realistic speed/distance expectations I generally suggest that they look to their typical travel day when vacationing by auto then take 75% to 80% of that distance as a realistic travel day. Prior to purchasing my first RV in 1980, I had a goal of 500 miles per day when on vacation. A two week vacation with that first RV taught me that 300 to 400 miles per day was the most that I wanted to travel. Frequent lane changes can be stressful when towing so many find it helpful to adjust their preferred speed while towing . . . I have always had the option of traveling during my school's summer vacation so time wasn't generally a huge concern . . . and I adjusted my preferred speed to a maximum of 55 MPH and no more than 60 MPH (I know that such adjustment isn't practical for everyone, but traveling at a lower speed than you would in the car alone can reduce stress significantly).

Beyond issues of speed and distance, travel during the Winter months adds additional concerns. Until you get South of the line where freezing temperatures are common, available campgrounds will likely be quite limited; and those campgrounds that are open may not have full amenities available. Calling ahead to verify availability of space as well as amenities that can be counted on is wise. Some campgrounds in my region that are open this time of year offer basically a parking place with electric service -- water and sewer are not available. Something that I learned with my Overlander in 1995 on my first long-distance tow was that trying to outrun a Winter Storm is far more taxing than sacrificing the schedule and waiting the storm out in a safe parking spot or warm motel room - - - I made it to my destination about 20 minutes ahead of the freezing rain, but my nerves were on edge to the point that I remained in bed for two days (I could have spent two days in campground or motel while waiting out the storm and enjoyed my vacation just as much with a lower overall stress level).

Quote:
Originally Posted by famlyman View Post
I imagine that I may be limited to expressways rather than parkways. How does one plan to avoid these roads with standard GPS.
Please feel free to offer any advice. Marital in particular
Thanks
I haven't traveled extensively in the Northeast, but I do know that whenever traveling in unfamiliar territory, it pays to carefully observe posted advisories for RVs/trailers/etc. As a general rule, many tunnels will have posted rules requiring that the LP Gas valves be turned off before traveling through. Some bridges may have posting regarding strong crosswinds, narrow lanes, or restricting RVs to a particular lane. Some toll roads limit RV access and/or charge by axle for tolls which can become quite expensive.

There are add-in POIs for some GPS devices that can help to steer you away from roads that prohibit large vehicles, have bridges with low clearances, or have other road issues that prevent larger vehicles from traveling safely. With less sophisticated GPS devices, it is possible to program in the point of departure and the destination then ask the device to suggest the route -- you can then go in and add "stopovers" to redirect away from roads you can't or don't want to travel (once you are satisfied with the route save it as a favorite and you are ready to go) -- I often use this feature as I like to travel secondary roads as much as possible when on vacation. The Internet can be a wealth of information from each state's DMV or department of highways regarding particular regulations that RVs must observe - - a comprehensive recent road atlas can also provide a tremendous amount of information. My most recent GPS (now 4-years old) has a feature that allows me to utilize a trip-planning program on my laptop to plan my route and then download the route to the device -- the software was part of an upgrade offered when I purchased map revisions a year ago.

Good luck with your new rig! Enjoy your adventure, I am sure it is something that you and your family will remember for years to come . . . and don't forget to take plenty of photos to document your great adventure!!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Welcome to Airstreaming and the forums!

As always, I agree with Kevin's excellent advice above. Regarding daily travel mileage, also remember you will be traveling on the shortest days of the year, and arriving at campgrounds after dark is stressful. Always pick a spot to stay--and as Kevin says, call ahead--well before dark if possible.

I wouldn't worry about road restrictions. Some roads have "no trucks" signs--referring to large commercial trucks--but I don't think I have ever seen a "no RVs" sign.

If at all possible camp a night or two in your trailer before leaving on your cross country trip. That will give you a chance to try things out and think of things that you want to bring along that you might not otherwise have thought of. You will probably receive the trailer in a winterized state so you will be unable to use the plumbing on your initial overnights in NJ.

Marriage-wise, the best advice I can give you is prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes with equanimity. My wife and I took off on our first cross country in a vintage 1960 Pacer with the plumbing leaking like a sieve, and arrived at our first campground with part of the belly pan temporarily held on with duct tape. That was nine years ago. We had a blast and have been Airstreaming ever since.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I fully agree that 3 to 4 hundred miles a day would be a reasonable maximum. Also consider that it it gets dark pretty early this time of year, and that making camp in an Airstream in the dark may prove to be challenging for a new RVer. You must also consider that with three small children on board, you wife will be quite busy and not able to render much assistance in setting up camp.

We just came back from a camping trip to Maine last week, and I can attest that you will find very few campgrounds open until you get to North Carolina. I would highly suggest researching campgrounds in advance. Try RV Campgrounds, RV Camping, RV Rentals, RV Parks, RV Resorts - Woodalls, and check out what is available along your route.

Best wishes on your maiden voyage. Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
As ever, all the above is excellent advice. We've just completed our first ever RV season towing our 28' International and adopted much of the advice here and elsewhere in the forum.

I've found that when RVing, everything takes longer than you think it's going to so it's best to allow for more time than you think you'll need. We've not camped in the winter months but I'd imagine that the advice regarding short days and limited availability of campgrounds is something you should plan for.

I generally tow at around 60-65mph on the Interstates, which for me is the best compromise between making progress, gas mileage and how stressful the driving can get. I know that's slow compared to some but it sure works for me. Anyway, I RV for fun so I'm never really in any hurry to get where I'm going.

As to regulations, the Internet can provide most of what you need to know. Airstreams meet all the general rules regarding dimensions and weights, and like Nuvite I've never seen a "No RV" sign. Well, not yet anyway!

Happy camping, take your time and above all, enjoy.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would strongly suggest that you get as much practice in before the trip. Towing is not difficult, and we were all beginners at one time.

My rules:
  • Check everything twice before you proceed, a checklist works for first timers as well as towing veterans.
  • Take your time, this is supposed to be fun.
  • Plan ahead, Left hand turns from the right lane can be problematic.
  • Don't panic, if you have made a wrong turn or are confused about where you are going, pull over and regroup.
  • Never pull into an area without a plan on how to drive out of that area.
  • Take frequent brakes and check everything when you do.
When you are done for the day and get to your RV Park, the fun begins. Not all spots are pull thru and you will be faced with your greatest challenge, backing into your campsite. Everyone will be watching and many will want to help. This is where the practice will pay off. Work with your partner ahead of time by backing into parking spots in an empty parking lot.

Have a great trip and remember to have fun.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Been there, done that

I've traveled this corridor more than once.

Your first choice is I-95 vs. Route 13 down the eastern shore. Your choice, but even though the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel has a whopping fee ($25-maybe more) for RV's it's my humble opinion that ANYTHING beats I-95 especially around Baltimore and Washington DC. I've left a campground at 2:00 AM to do the beltways and there are still many many insane truckers on the road. You MUST take the beltway at Baltimore, their downtown tunnel allows absolutely NO propane tanks bigger than the little ones you use on a Coleman lantern.

I prefer 13 - though I normally pick it up in Wilmington rather than using 113 and the Cape May Ferry. Don't know the cost of that but with an Airstream it's got to be high. I believe it's over 2 hours long, so you could nap with the kids in the Airstream if you choose it. In the summer the smell of chicken processing gets intense especially near the Tyson and Perdue factories, but in winter it's fine - watch out for deer. There are two RV parks at the north end of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and a big parking lot where you can rest just before the toll booths. One is a Va. State Park. Don't know whether either have services in the winter. On the south end you are in Virginia Beach. Jog to the east on I-264, to Birdneck Rd South - it'll take you straight to Holiday Trav-l Park which is open with full services all year long. If you're traveling dry, ask for a space near a shower house. (OK for your Doberman - on a leash - bring your plastic baggie!) If you decide to hookup water here because you think it can't freeze... well that depends. Watch your local forecast carefully. I put pipe insulation and a heater cable on my water hose and open my drains only periodically. Never had a freeze-up, but I always make sure the propane tanks are FULL in case it does get too cold for the heatpump and the furnace is needed. Good water if you want to fill your white tank. I've personally taken 13 as far south as Camp LeJeune - It's nice and I believe it continues to be good beyond that. You can also cut back to I-95 from Williamstown NC.

May I recommend Savannah GA as a wonderful place to visit. Perhaps better when the kids are a little older though. I really loved the horse and bus tours of the historic disctict, and the food, and the people. There is a KOA south of the city that's more than a bit above the normal KOA standard. It's on the water so there are ducks and swans in residence.

In Florida I-95 may be even more hellish than it is around DC/Baltimore. I don't have good alternatives there. Perhaps others can advise you better.

The 300-400 mile range is good. With Kids, stop and run, feed and potty them frequently. PB&J sandwiches seem to put them to sleep pretty well.

Happy trails - Paula
Old 11-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I 95 in fla, once you get past jacksonville, it is wide open until palm beach. Piece of cake!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i made the same trip a month go. (probably from the same dealer, lol)

if you can...
start at dawn and stop for breakfast as rush hour begins.

try to get to your overnight spot two hours before dusk.

many wal-marts allow overnight parking in the far ends of the lot (look for other rv's)

if you overnight without electricity you'll need to be careful not to exhaust the battery. the furnace blower draws a lot. make sure you don't also drain your tow vehicle battery if it stays on with the tow v. off.

make sure you stow the steps and lower the antenna before breaking camp.

look carefully before pulling in for fuel. as mentioned, getting out is usually more difficult.

make sure the hitch setup is correct.

as for the spouse..... plenty of hugs and kisses and "i love yous" help :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
oh, i did the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel trip from cape may. it is well worth it! check the web for ferry times since it runs less frequently off season. it might be a bit cold outside but in the enclosed area it should be ok. yes, it s about a two hour ride once underway.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
How-To for Towin'

As a newbie it comes to mind that taking the trailer out, even for a trip around the block, would provide practice in a stress-free environment. If you haven't already, take the owner's manual and other on-line resources and build your personalized checklist. Break down, hitch and tow. Then park, unhitch and think through what you just did.

Whether you have already built your checklist, review it step by step. Then - if you forget stuff as I do - do it again, being sure to put it all down. Airline pilots with thousands of flight hours in the same equipment a-l-w-a-y-s use a checklist.

Include in your routine walking through the campsite before pulling-through or backing in and a last walkaround before pulling out. It slows the process of getting parked and getting underway and could occasionally turn up the odd good thing.

There are lot's of on-line resources for travel planning and routes. Others will have more and better comments in those areas.

Take it slowly and have a fabulous trip.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Do everything slow and deliberate, it will take time. Keep a sense of humor, step back and rethink. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
.[*]Never pull into an area without a plan on how to drive out of that area.[*]
That's great advice and something I always try to do even when I don't have the trailer (yes, I'm a nerd like that). Towing the Airstream, we pulled into a diner in Meridian, Mississippi in the summer and, as usual, I'd already scouted on the approach to make sure I could turn around and get out again. The parking lot was big and had lots of space at the far end so I backed into one corner and thought that I would be fine so long as no one parked too close to the front of the tow vehicle. I assumed that as everyone liked to park near the door of the diner we'd be fine, being some distance away. I hadn't counted on the old guy in the truck, though, who unaccountably parked really quite close to us and, from where I was sitting in the diner, looked have blocked us. I really couldn't understand why he'd do that because the rest of the lot was mostly empty. I had visions of trying to persuade the guy to move, with my cut-glass English accent not really serving me well in deepest Mississippi and was getting into a sweat about it. It didn't help that there was an altercation in the diner, too, with a few frayed tempers about. Fortunately, when we did go out into the lot I realised that there was enough room to swing past the truck, so I was greatly relieved. To make my point, though, and hoping the guy who'd parked there was watching, I left that parking lot a bit more quickly than I might have, making sure that we didn't leave too wide a gap when swinging past the damned truck. The best laid plans and all that......

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
A lot of this becomes 2nd nature with some practice. The little ones can be distracting at times so let your co-pilot deal with those matters. My wife was instrumental when it came to hitching and unhitching by taking the kids for a walk, for me that was a particular time I didn't need help forgetting to latch the coupler or plugging the umbilical. A leisurely pace is more enjoyable and when we were younger it seemed important to get in as many miles as possible each day. At the end of the day we were tired and grumpy. We also shoot for that 300-400 miles taking frequent breaks and find it much better.

Remember the trailer is wider than the tow vehicle, so be mindful going through the toll booths, etc. Some jurisdictions enforce the mirror statutes, so for a lot of reasons you want mirrors that let you see down the sides of the trailer and they unconsciously help you thread the needle so to speak; their presence reminds you of your width. Sometimes the barriers they put up in construction zones feel snug. As previously mentioned, the tunnel at Baltimore is a big no-no because of the propane tanks There are some parkways in your neck of the woods that prohibit trailers. You may come across a bridge that has lane restrictions posted, so just watch for any signs and you'll do just fine.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Fam', regulations regarding towing can be found in Woodall's (see Post #6) and other places on the internet. Woodall's has campground listings and with the AAA Camping Books can be helpful. They usually tell you when campgrounds are closed. RV Park Reviews :: Home has lots of reviews and we find it helpful.

Parkways in NY and Conn. do not allow trailers or commercial trucks. Getting into and out of NYC is difficult, but that's the wrong way to Fla. I don't know if the Garden State prohibits trailers, but you can check with the Jersey highway dept. Assume no trailers until you find put otherwise. Some tunnels require the propane to be turned off—the one between Norfolk and Hampton Roads is one and I think it has turnouts before the entrances to allow you to turn off the valves. Turn off the fridge first so the propane line to it doesn't get air bound and make it hard to re-light it.

As others have said, it is difficult to travel as many miles with a trailer as you did without one. You have to be more attentive and most people don't drive as fast towing. We hardly ever have those 500 mile days anymore, though on a not so busy interstate it can be done. You will find out your distance limits as you learn. Living in NJ, you are surely aware I-95 is busy and can have awful traffic jams. When you get to Fla., especially as Miami gets closer, you will discover extremely aggressive drivers. They also are on I-4 in central Fla.

Pick up a copy of Next Exit. It lists everything at every interstate exit including those services that have RV parking or gas where you can get in or out. We look for truck stops. Sooner or later you will need gas and only find a station that is hard to get out of—watch out for those concrete filled posts near the pumps. Also watch the roof over the pumps—the Airstream is 9 1/2 feet high, some of those aren't in out of the way places.

You have about 4 weeks before the big trip. Find a big empty parking lot and practice turns and backing. Then go to a nearby campground or park and spend the weekend. You have to learn how things work, what you need, where to pack it, stock up on lots of stuff like black tank deodorizer, hoses for the sewer lines, tools to fix things, and on and on. Expect to spend some bucks on this stuff and that it never stops.

Marital advice is more difficult. If your wife doesn't think this was such a good idea, find ways to involve her in planning trips, going to the RV store together to get all that kitchen stuff you will need, ask her what she'd like to decorate it with. Or reverse roles and you decorate it and she drives and sets up the sewer lines. When we arrive at a campground, we do everything together and can do each other's jobs—that way stuff usually doesn't get forgotten and it is a joint adventure. If she is only grudgingly going along with this, you need to work that out. There are few things worse than being locked in a tin can with someone who is unhappy with the whole thing while 3 infants are screaming, it is snowing or raining out and something in the tin can just broke or doesn't work.

Good luck.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
GO WEST, YOUNG FAMILYMAN. I-95 isn't your only option; you could go west from West Orange and down the I-81 corridor through the Shenandoah Valley. I-81 has its traffic but it is not comparable to the 95. It's scenic and offers a lot of other diversions along the way. I speak as a veteran of 20 trips to New Jersey from Alabama in the last five years (with 'stream and without). We are in Jersey now having just negotiated a rain drenched trip up the 95 (to test whether it's still a nightmare --It was) I will never grumble about the Penn Turnpike again.
These winter trips are more weather dependent than others. We rely on several of the real time weather update sites sponsored by the states you will traverse. Sometimes the best plan is to pull over somewhere safe and play house in the new 'stream for a while...
With all the new navigation aids you can even have your own "operations". My son and granddaughters monitor us on the Latitude program on the Android phone and check in if we haven't moved in a while. Before that we used to get phone calls asking for our mile post and instructions like "Turn South immediately to avoid tornado track crossing the interstate 20 miles ahead." As a new streamer, you might want a couple Forum members on speed dial to handle questions we all had on our first trips...
You are getting a lot of good advice here, most important of which was slow down and have fun. don't try to do too much.

PS best advice I got as a new RVer: If you are having trouble with the trailer in the campground, just stand out in front looking at it and scratch your head. Shortly, you will have gathered a small but animated crowd providing advice. Half of them will have heard of the problem before, 10% will have solved it, at least one of them will have the necessary tools....

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
There’s lots of good advice here from seasoned RVer’s, and I’m sure there’s more to come. An old-timer told me many years ago that a trip becomes an adventure with the first screw-up. Let the adventures begin. Acquiring experience is very important, and I would follow the many suggestions noted earlier.

I know others travel further, but I generally keep my daily-drive limit to 250 miles, unless I’m headed back to the barn, or I’m otherwise very familiar with both the route and the facilities at my destination. Since I use a 50 mph-average speed as a rule-of-thumb, that means about 5 hours of driving. I like to arrive at my destination during daylight, and I don’t like to arrive just in time for dinner…it is after all “the journey”. Since you’re traveling during cold weather, I suggest you keep your coach winterized until well out of the freezing weather, and then remember to re-winterize when returning home. If you experience freezing temperatures driving down the road, you’re vulnerable in the coach. I usually travel without reservations, but on your maiden voyage you may want to pick a spot so you know you’ll be ok on the first night out. Otherwise, don’t wait too late to start looking for a suitable place. A little research ahead of time will help you find several potential transit destinations, and allow you to key their addresses into your GPS. I like campgroundreviews.com for researching stops along my route.

Don’t be unrealistic about how quickly you can roust the family in the AM, and get on the road. You might be able to rise at the crack of dawn, but getting your wife and the kids out of bed at 0-dark:30 can be a challenge, with a likely unfavorable outcome. You don’t want to hookup in the dark anyway. GPS devices are handy, but they’re not foolproof, and can cause some grief if the preferences are not set correctly, so we travel with AAA maps, and my wife likes to keep it handy to see exactly where we are, and where the GPS is trying to take us. Be careful with the fast-food joints and the gas stops. They can be tricky to enter and exit, and unforgiving once committed. Some of them have excessively steep entrances/exits that will cause you to bottom out, either entering or exiting; that’s not fun, so at fast-food, I usually park and walk, ideally in a large supermarket. Costco and Wal-Mart can be great places to gas-up, and the parking lots are usually a little friendlier. Since I lived through the 1974-75 gas lines, I’ve been permanently scarred, so I start looking for gas at half a tank. Don’t let anyone rush you. Take your time. We were very experienced RVer’s, but new to our Airstream when we pulled into a very busy Camping World to dump. We tried to hurry, since there were long lines coming home from a busy weekend, and just as I opened the black water valve, the force disconnected the improperly-connected hose from the coach. Oops! And don’t forget to pick up a big box of latex or nitrile gloves at Costco or Harbor Freight to use during those sewer-dump adventures.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Make sure you have a good Airstream tool kit...
WD40, duct tape, zip-ties and Lego blocks,(ramp to change flat).

What I've found is the Airstream will tell you what you really need, by the time you get to Fla, it should be pretty complete. You'll be stopping along the way, so don't stress too much about things you may have left behind. I think you'll find as we did that most "stuff" will be AS specific and not need to be packed again for future trips.

We had been "streaming" for 18yrs when we got "Cloudsplitter", still we camped a few days on the pad before our first trip just to get familiar with the new rig, a worthwhile endeavor indeed. 45 min in a large empty parking lot also helped calm the newbie shakes.

Keep right, take your time and have FUN!!

Bob