Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Don't turn into a road with the sign "Dead End". But since not every dead end has a sign, or you don't see the sign, learn to spot them without a sign. And some roads look good and then turn into nightmares—you have to smell them out too.

I know a lot of people use GPS systems, but don't blindly do what it says. Have maps too. They are all information sources, and like all of us, can be wrong. GPS can lead you to some bad places and when you are towing anything, that means dirt trails, dead ends, restricted roads, etc.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
one more item is fuel/gas cans. most bridges/tunnels have rules on how much you can transport.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

west orange , New Jersey
Thank to everyone for taking the time to list all of the good advice. I am printing this stream to have as reference once the journey begins. One day I hope to have the experience to offer to another. thanks again.
famlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
one more item is fuel/gas cans. most bridges/tunnels have rules on how much you can transport.
That is true in the NYC area, but in most of the country there are fewer or no rules about this or propane. Manitoba and (I think) Nova Scotia require propane be turned off while driving, but I doubt it is much enforced. It seems to me spoiled food in the fridge is more dangerous than a propane problem. Car ferries usually require the propane to be turned off and for a long trip, dry ice may be a good idea.

You are supposed to see 200' behind you, such as a cop with his lights on. Tow mirrors are essential because of that law. Someone was stopped in Fla. earlier this year by a cop claiming he couldn't see the cop with lights on. This is very subjective as the cop can't tell what someone sees or exactly how far 200' is, but when you are a tourist, are you going back to fight it?

Some states (Cal. and Ill., for ex.) have low speed limits for trucks and trailers—55 mph. These limits are ignored by many, especially on interstates and good highways.

When you see trucks and trailers must stop at a weigh station, it doesn't mean you.

A section of I-10 west of Houston does not allow trailers and commercial trucks, so avoid Houston because it is very hard to get around that section of interstate.

I think just about every state does not allow anyone to ride in the trailer.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
That is true in the NYC area, but in most of the country there are fewer or no rules about this or propane.
Gene
CHESAPEAKE BAY BRIDGE-TUNNEL (not likely to be exceeded)
Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel -- Hazardous materials

Cape May-Lewes Ferry:
http://www.capemaylewesferry.com/Ferry-Info/FAQs
  • Recreational Vehicles
    Not more than two cylinders of propane safely secured to the vehicle in an upright position with valves closed and tagged, plus one only 25-litre (6.6 gal.) gasoline container, empty or full. Propane-powered refrigerators must have the thermostat control turned to the "off" position.
  • Automobiles
    Not more than one 25-litre (6.6 gal.) gasoline container, empty or full.
  • Motorboats (towed)
    Not more than two portable 25-litre (6.6 gal.) containers, empty or full.

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #26
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
You have been given good advice from all who have chimed in to your question. I cannot add much except that as a fellow NJ resident I too often look for a route to minimize the stress of hauling a trailer when I'm going on the road. I would suggest anything but 95 through Baltimore - DC. And I mean anything. Last year returning from Florida in late March we got off 95 at Richmond, Va and rode the rest of the way on 301. A good road and much less stress. The alternative I would suggest you consider in your trip is Rt. 78 W into Pa and then 81 S down into Va. Then onto Rt. 77 to Charlotte, NC. Then following your GPS work your way back to 95 for the rest of the trip. I've done it before and it's a good road w/ light traffic ( usually ). Do heed the advice to plan ahead if you're looking for a campground along the way. It will get very cold at night even down into southern Va so I suggest a campground where you can get hookups to help with the heater. ( Don't ask how I know this, but I do).

Now, if you are inclined to this route and are in the area of Mooresville, NC at mealtime there is a great BBQ place right off I 77. It's Fat Boys BBQ and you won't regret stopping if you can. And they have a large parking lot with plenty of room for your rig.

The roads are good between NJ and Fla and you'll have a great trip. Enjoy the ride.
See ya on the road sometime. ( We'll be in Fla from late Feb. through March).

PS: As you mentioned stay off the parkways with one exception. The Blue Ridge Pky will allow the trailer. Campgrounds will be closed on the way down but maybe not on the way back. Depending on when that is. It's a good change of pace from the highway.

PSS: Oh, and one more thing. Again, don't ask how I know this one either. You can put some water in your fresh water holding tank before you leave but don't run the pump to fill your system and hot water tank until you are well south. Been there, done that.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
This is all great advice about how not to get too crazy with the towing aspect of the trip. We travel with two little kids and I can tell you that the rear seat entertainment system is priceless. Also, the back-up camera saves all kinds of marital stress; we tried doing it together but it just wasn't happening... lots of stress.

Oh, and something that I like to do is to take the kids by myself for the weekend and let my wife have some non-crazy time.

You guys are going to have so much fun as long as you remember that it's supposed to be fun; if you're not enjoying yourself take it down a notch. For instance, one morning after a rough night (baby woke up a lot) and, instead of doing the work of cooking breakfast we drove to a nearby town and hit up IHOP. It wasn't really in the plan (or the budget) but it was what we needed.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Good advice above. But...
Several people have warned you about keeping an eye on the weather until you get south of VA. I suggest keeping and eye on it until you get to further south. The only time I ever had damage from freezing was in GA just north of the FL state line, on I-95. I incorrectly assumed I was far enough south that freezing was not an issue.