Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Jim

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Pennsylvania
Reese vs Blue Ox weight distribution hitch

I have a 4 year-old trailer with a Reese hitch. I've pulled it on five national caravans - lots of miles. I grease the trunions to prevent wear, but dirt and stones seem to accumulate in the grease. As a result, the trunions and other parts are wearing badly. I am considering a switch to a Blue Ox hitch in which the moving parts are enclosed, and grease is applied by means of a zert. However, the Blue Ox weight distribution hitch seems to have a much simpler anti sway mechanism. I don't know if it works as well as the Reese. Does anyone have experience with these?
pjmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I have a Blue Ox and am totally satisfied with it. Not only is it cleaner, but it doesn't make any noise and you can backup without having to take parts off first. Something doesn't have to be complicated for it to work, it just has to work and my Blue Ox works. No sway when being passed or passing.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Not only is it cleaner, but it doesn't make any noise and you can backup without having to take parts off first.
Wait. There are hitches that require you to get out and take parts off before backing up? Which ones?
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I don't know specific models but some of them require that you disconnect the sway controls before backing. I doubt that very many people do that though.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Removing part of hitches to back up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
Wait. There are hitches that require you to get out and take parts off before backing up? Which ones?
I have an EAZ Lift round bar hitch, with a pair of sway controls. I can back up as much as I want, as long as my turns are only moderate. If I turn real tight, then the first bad thing to happen is that the forward end of the friction bar will get pinched and bent against the edge of the coupler. This happens well before I am at risk of having the bumper of my tow vehicle hit the corner of the trailer.

More than this, the same thing happens when I flip a U-turn moving forward. The only time I actually bent the end of the friction bar was going forward. (My vehicle has a 39-foot turning circle--tighter than a full size pickup).

Regarding the Blue Ox, I am the only person I know who had a Blue Ox Sway Pro and got rid of it. The claimed anti-sway properties of it did not pan out for me. My rig drives better and is more stable with my current hitch. But the Blue Ox sure is convenient.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
For about a year now I've been using a Reese SC hitch (controls sway like an Equal-I-zer) and I like it, it's very simple. To get around the grease issue I've been using engine assembly lube which is sort of a very heavy oil with moly, and comes in a plastic bottle with a handy twist open applicator tip. It seems to lubricate very well, and does not attract dirt as bad as grease does. You do have to do some clean up fairly frequently, however.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I have an EAZ Lift round bar hitch, with a pair of sway controls. I can back up as much as I want, as long as my turns are only moderate. If I turn real tight, then the first bad thing to happen is that the forward end of the friction bar will get pinched and bent against the edge of the coupler. This happens well before I am at risk of having the bumper of my tow vehicle hit the corner of the trailer.

More than this, the same thing happens when I flip a U-turn moving forward. The only time I actually bent the end of the friction bar was going forward. (My vehicle has a 39-foot turning circle--tighter than a full size pickup).

Regarding the Blue Ox, I am the only person I know who had a Blue Ox Sway Pro and got rid of it. The claimed anti-sway properties of it did not pan out for me. My rig drives better and is more stable with my current hitch. But the Blue Ox sure is convenient.
Ok thanks. That makes sense. I was just picturing having to jump out and remove something when I needed to back a few feet to line up at the pump. :-)

What is your TV?
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I don't know specific models but some of them require that you disconnect the sway controls before backing. I doubt that very many people do that though.

Most of the times I see posts that mention "disconnecting sway control", before backing, it becomes apparent they don't have a clue what they're talking about.
Pulling Airstreams in excess of 100K miles with a Reese Dual Cam, has proven that point.
Perhaps a phone call to the manufacturer of the hitch in question would put your concerns to rest.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
Ok thanks. That makes sense. I was just picturing having to jump out and remove something when I needed to back a few feet to line up at the pump. :-)

What is your TV?
I tow with a 2010 GMC Yukon Denali SUV (short wheelbase version). Good seats, good turning circle, powerful engine, and it fits in my garage (just barely). But not enough cooling and sometimes it gives us bad porpoising on poor concrete highways with the trailer in tow. I think longer wheelbase would help with the porpoising.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I am pretty happy with my Reese. Blue Ox is a good company and certainly makes a quality hitch. I do not grease the Reese. I just throw the bars on and go. sometimes I squirt a little oil through the oil hole in the top of the socket and into the bottom. Yeah, there is some wear. But it is all a loose fit at best anyway. After 7 years with the Reese I am pretty confident with it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Most of the times I see posts that mention "disconnecting sway control", before backing, it becomes apparent they don't have a clue what they're talking about.
Pulling Airstreams in excess of 100K miles with a Reese Dual Cam, has proven that point.
Perhaps a phone call to the manufacturer of the hitch in question would put your concerns to rest.

Larry
I did not name any other hitch and was not saying that the Reese required the sway control to be removed, but some hitches do require it or at least recommend it. Read this page after scrolling down to the sway control section.

Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions | etrailer.com