Old 05-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Thank you. My trailer came with the 1,200 pound bars. I felt like they were a bit strong, so I purchased the 800 pounders. I like it much better.

I think you have your bars bent more than I do though, maybe I'll try going another link tighter.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, back to toastie's issues...

Old 05-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Not sure what you are towing with, but those pics show it hitched up to a 1/2 ton Yukon XL, so the bars were pretty cranked up.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I don't know the max, but mine had either 4 or 5 notches showing (exposed) on the head on the trailer side of the silver thru bolt mounting plate. You can't do too much tilt, as a matter of safety or whatever. The slot in the head will only allow so much tilt before it hits the bolt.

What weight rating are your bars. With your light trailer, I'd start with 4 notches showing on the head and 5 links under tension on the chains.

Take a close look at those cam plates. maybe a close up pic?
Started with 4 and ended up at 5 notches, I'm at 6 chains links with good tension, (5 links was to much) but feel I need just a little more, the bars are 600#. Much, much better clearance.

toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dualcam5.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	158442   Click image for larger version

Name:	dualcam6.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	158443  

Old 05-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
That looks DANDY! You may find, after you get you tanks on, gear in the truck and trailer, etc that you may need to go to 5 links. When you are ready to go, weight the rig by each axle, and then weight the loaded truck by itself by each axle. That'll get you exactly where you need to be. Tongue weight should be checked as well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
That does look great. Now you have a useable setup. I hope you enjoy the trips.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #20
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
I was just wondering how those trunnion style bars are sitting on those cams? Are they nice and flat to where they wont wear into one side of the cam lobe or are they pitched to one side when under load causing a significant amount of wear in the cam? I have a unit thats wearing that way requiring a different head and bars.

Thanks Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
I was just wondering how those trunnion style bars are sitting on those cams? Are they nice and flat to where they wont wear into one side of the cam lobe or are they pitched to one side when under load causing a significant amount of wear in the cam? I have a unit thats wearing that way requiring a different head and bars.

Thanks Vinnie

This is true. I found the best way to get them centered is:

AFTER everything is loaded up like you usually travel AND everything scales out correctly, drive forward in a parking lot about 50 yards perfectly straight.

Loosen all four cam arm nuts and whack the bottom of the cam arm (the cam itself) with a rubber or nylon hammer while the system is under hitched spring bar tension. the cam will pop to the center of the spring bar "notch".

You will repeat this any time there is a significant load change or after any hitch adjustment.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This was a prior thread of mine. I post #1 I talk about what I did to mine to address some of the concerns Airslide is talking about.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...est-76068.html

Old 05-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Quote "I took a DREMMEL stone and lightly worked the high spots on the spring bars, and after several tows, and examining and "tooling" contact patterns after each tow, I now have pretty even contact patches on both cam/bar interfaces. "

Thanks for the link. Your research was good work. I noticed on the trunnion bars that the molding is uneven vs. my round bars that have a nice flat uniform pattern. I initially thought I could adjust the cams by a slight rotation but they quickly run up against the notch that maintains them in postion. It seems that when the trunnions are loaded there is some slop at the head and allows them to twist vs. the round bars that have no lateral movement. I will take a look at this again but glad you have had success with mating the surfaces.

Thanks Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote