Old 03-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Reese dual cam 1200 bars

Just picked up my 2014 30ft Flying Cloud. Dealer installed the Reese Dual Cam with 1200 bRs. TV is. 3/4 GMC diesel, and rides harsh over road bumps. Sj
Hold we install 800 or 1,000 to manage the ride everything else good.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
I backed down to 800 lb bars on my 25 from dealer installed 1000. Much easier on the AS.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You have a combination of thing s here. The Reese bars are overweight and the truck is sprung as a TRUCK. My 3/4 Suburban had a 1 ton spring pack. Without knowing the spring pack on your truck it is hard to sy how hard the truck should be expected to ride. Any GM dealer could read the codes on the inside of the glove compartment and tell you. You could also go on line and find that info.

Yes 1,000 bars are too heavy for your trailer.

Another question would be did the dealer set the Reese up correctly? Odds are he did not since it can take several hours to do it right. There are 2 ways yo can check it out. Take the rig to a Cat scale and weigh the truck axles without the trailer and again with the trailer. You should see an increase in the weight on both truck axles. Another way you can check is to place a piece of masking tape on the front and rear fenders on center to the wheels. Unhook the trailer and measure and mark a line on these tapes. Hook up the trailer and remeasure. Both measurements should be less meaning that the hitch has transferred weight to the front axle of the truck. This difference will depend on the spring pack on the tow vehicle but the point is it should be less. If equal or higher on the front axle the hitch is not set up correctly.
My Kayak mysite.verizon.net/vze54tx9/kayak/
HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Going Places , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
You have a combination of thing s here. The Reese bars are overweight and the truck is sprung as a TRUCK. My 3/4 Suburban had a 1 ton spring pack. Without knowing the spring pack on your truck it is hard to sy how hard the truck should be expected to ride. Any GM dealer could read the codes on the inside of the glove compartment and tell you. You could also go on line and find that info.

Yes 1,000 bars are too heavy for your trailer.

Another question would be did the dealer set the Reese up correctly? Odds are he did not since it can take several hours to do it right. There are 2 ways yo can check it out. Take the rig to a Cat scale and weigh the truck axles without the trailer and again with the trailer. You should see an increase in the weight on both truck axles. Another way you can check is to place a piece of masking tape on the front and rear fenders on center to the wheels. Unhook the trailer and measure and mark a line on these tapes. Hook up the trailer and remeasure. Both measurements should be less meaning that the hitch has transferred weight to the front axle of the truck. This difference will depend on the spring pack on the tow vehicle but the point is it should be less. If equal or higher on the front axle the hitch is not set up correctly.
I second the vote on not trusting a dealer to install the hitch correctly. They may have but it's likely not been done right and should be double-checked as described above. There are other detailed threads on the subject.

Several years ago we switched from 1000 (or 1200 I can't recall) bars and went down to 600. Everything is fine, the hitch does it's job better, the ride is less harsh, etc. We tow with a 2500 Suburban.

It cannot be overemphasized - check out the hitch setup for yourself. If for no other reason you need to understand how the hitch works.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
We also had 1200lbs bars installed by the dealer, and after recommendations from the forums, we bought 800lbs bars, the ride is so much better now, not as harsh on the trailer or the passengers. I wouldn't go back to 1200lbs now.

And yes you as the owner need to fine tune your hitch setup and brake controller! Our dealer got it close and it worked, but I bet your dealer didn't take your trailer for a drive? Ours didn't so how could they know if it was setup correctly?

Damon