Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Rear View Video Trailer Camera Mount Location

We have changed our TV to a GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Crew Duramax. I am going to change out the GM Nav system for a Pioneer Z2 with the capability for video camera hookups for the rear license plate mount and one on the rear of the AS 31 Classic Limited 08. We examined the AS today and would like to know if anybody on the forum has done this installation and knows the proper method and placement of the rear camera. We will run a alumflex cable with a video boost under the chassis. But it looks like the cable must come up through the master cabin and then mount it above the license plate mount right at the "Limited" logo. Is access then right at the head of the bed? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #2

.... , Texas
Chaimemet, my guess is the best place to mount the camera is directly under the middle clearance. This is desirable because of the higher look angle, therefore less sun and direct light into the camera. You can run the video and power cable thru the light and not cause any damage to the Airsteam. The cable needed would be just standard RG-6 or RG-59, either one would work. Just put a RCA male/female connection at the bumper so when you unhitch the video can be unplugged. Your camera will be composite out and that will go directly to your composite in on the monitor. No need for any amp. I have used this setup for several years and is much more reliable then anything else. You can power the camera from the clearance lite power if desired. I use a cheap dome camera and stick it to the surface with 2 sided mounting tapes. The plastic case fof the camera can be painted silver. I have a few images of the setup if you would like.
whatsnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Please Advise

WhatsNext,

Please any photos would be greatly appreciated. I called AS about the referance in the manual about a hookup in the rear and mention of a particular brand and they said the company closed.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #4

.... , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimemet
WhatsNext,

Please any photos would be greatly appreciated. I called AS about the referance in the manual about a hookup in the rear and mention of a particular brand and they said the company closed.
Let me start by saying that I don't own a AS yet. Hope to own a new Classic very much like your 31'. The image below is one from the rig that I presently have. There are many 12 volt cameras that will work, Ebay would be a place to check. The one in the picture is not waterproof, but is shielded, therefore the little camera module inside stays dry.
The wiring is held securely along the bottom with clamps every foot or so. With the AS I am not sure, but the underbelly attachment area might be a good place. As far as how to get it to the top area, I am not sure. I would think that for the existing wiring to the light would also allow the camera wiring to be "fished" through the same area. I "fished" mine to the taillight (removed) and then to the middle clearance lamp. Using the lamp as a portal, no extra holes are required. All that was required on mine was a slot cut on the bottom of the lamp. The video pigtail wire on camera was a small coax RG-174 and was terminated with a connector that would allow connection to the larger coax going to the front of the rig. The 12 volt wire was extended so as to allow connection inside where it could remain dry. The camera was drilled with a drain hole just incase any moisture entered, it would drain out. The camera was attached with strong mounting tape.
http://64.185.13.2/images/rearviewcam.jpg
http://64.185.13.2/images/coaxrouting.jpg
This may not be a plug and play, but it has been a real winner for me. One note. Either the camera or the monitor has to flip the image right to left. Otherwise it is just the same as looking backwards out the rear window.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Great post and photos. I will study both and confer with my car audio guy and get back to you what we have decided regarding our path to installation. Thanks again!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
I have done exactly what you are looking to do. I have a Pioneer head unit with touch screen. I have 2 cameras (pioneer BC-1), one on the TV for hooking up and the other in the AS for rearviews. If you are still interested in the set let me know and I can send pics.
bubbainsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbainsd
I have done exactly what you are looking to do. I have a Pioneer head unit with touch screen. I have 2 cameras (pioneer BC-1), one on the TV for hooking up and the other in the AS for rearviews. If you are still interested in the set let me know and I can send pics.
That would be great to see one actually installed on an Airstream.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Here are a few. The camera was mounted by the installers with a hole drilled through the lic. plate. I would not recommend this. The place ment is great because I can backup and hook up without the need for a second person. The next is the head unit inside the truck. Finally, the connection to the AS camera. I use 2 cameras so I can view the hitch and eq. bars while driving and the flip a swith to see the world behind the AS. I will get the photos of the set-up on the AS tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backup 1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	53930   Click image for larger version

Name:	backup 3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	53931  

Click image for larger version

Name:	backup 2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	53932  
bubbainsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #9
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimemet
...I called AS about the referance in the manual about a hookup in the rear and mention of a particular brand and they said the company closed.
the only thing a/s has provided is a 12v wire power wire in the license plate region...

this was for a wireless camera that never came to reality...

placing a camera at the license plate area on the truck makes sense to help with hitching...

but many/most class a mohos and large rvs with cameras...

have them up HIGH for full view of the rear traffic and parking issues.

IF i were gonna do a camera on the rear of the a/s it would be UP near the center marker light.

above the center window and with a better view of wide angle view of things...

and i'd likely route the wiring over the TOP to a convenient forward location, like the vent or fridge...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Another reason to mount high is when a vehicle is behind you at night, all you will see is a big white blob on the monitor. The cameras wash out if there is too much light directed at them.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #11

.... , Texas
This is a very short clip that I recorded on the rearview camera mentioned in post #4 while traveling the mountains of WV. I view my camera on the notebook computer either in a small window or full screen on top of the maping program. As seen in the clip the sun providing some reflection, but overall a very useful rearview. The input to the computer is a usb tuner with a composite input.
http://64.185.13.2/images/10112006rearview1.wmv
Also as mentioned in a post above, with a composite video jack at the hitch area, one can easily install one on license plate and just move the connection to the trailer camera.