Old 05-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I have the first system Fred sold. Worked great, the only problem was my iPhone getting too hot and causing drop outs. Keeping the phone by the air conditioning outlet solved that.

The original app it used has been discontinued, I found another but it's not quite as good. Speaking with the folks at Sharx (the camera Fred used) they said phones are being optimized for movies and games and not so much for their cameras anymore.

So I just bought a Voyager. Got the 7" screen and it was too huge. Exchanged if for the 4.3" and that is the perfect size for me. Cellphone size.

BTW, great price and service from rvcams.com

Old 05-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Marshall Ford , Texas
I'll second the Garmin bc30 camera and GPS. Rock solid. Existing screen on dash. No holes in TT skin. Inside mount with action camera mounts. Transmits 200 ft with transmitter on bed. Small hole in screen. We don't open rear window.

Trying an Android apps solution with old cell phone and truck wifi. All apps want internet access, so far it's a no go as truck doesn't have internet.

John

TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Lakeport , Michigan
Have the Furrion, F-150 SC and FC23FB, have never had a problem.
Motown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Thumbs down

I received a reply from Furrion technical support and I now have a better understanding of why the Furrion has signal interruptions at higher speeds. I am paraphrasing what he wrote. Furrion relies on the RF signal bouncing off of objects around the trailer to reach the receiver in the tow vehicle. At higher speeds, particularly in a flat terrain like an interstate road, there is not as many objects for the signal to bounce off of, so weaker signals are reaching the monitor. And, their processor speed is not as fast as they need to capture and process these weaker signals, so you get an intermittent picture on the screen. They are coming out with a new unit in July which will have a faster processor and a higher signal transmission strength.

Voyager already uses a faster processor and stronger transmitter, so they do not have this same issue as Furrion. If there are intermittences, it is due to interference from other devices interfering with the camera and does not happen on a regular basis.

From the good reviews here and the conversations with the techies, I am going with the Voyager WVOS541.

Thank you all for your help.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:58 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Rearview Safety for me too. I have a camera on the AS license plate and the truck cap. Both perform flawlessly and the mic on the AS can be helpful. However, pulling the cables was hard and I spliced them which requires soldering and care to maintain the video wire shield. Even so I'm glad I did it because I tried wireless systems and found them unreliable
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
BillfromWI, from your comments I get the impression that some of the cables have coax in them. Do you know if the coiled cable that goes from trailer to the truck has coax in it, by chance?
Where was the coax you spliced?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
No coax. The cable contains five ~24 AWG wires: two power, one audio, one video. The video wire has foil shielding. RVS says the shielding continuity must be maintained.

The cables are pleanty long. I spliced them because I cut the connectors off for routing purposes so I cut most of the excess off. Each splice took me about 30 minutes.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I have the factory Voyager. Works perfect. No drop out. 28 Serenity.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
BTW, the Voyager WVOS541 can also be hardwired if you want to.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAirS View Post
I'll second the Garmin bc30 camera and GPS. Rock solid. Existing screen on dash. No holes in TT skin. Inside mount with action camera mounts. Transmits 200 ft with transmitter on bed. Small hole in screen. We don't open rear window.

John
Exactly what I had in mind. Did you use a suction cup mount? I was thinking of under the rear overhead cabinet. Power from the USB chargers or 12v.
or even a dedicated plug to the reading light.
Did you need a hole in the screen? Is the bed in the back?
If you have a picture, I'd love to see it.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Marshall Ford , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Exactly what I had in mind. Did you use a suction cup mount? I was thinking of under the rear overhead cabinet. Power from the USB chargers or 12v.
or even a dedicated plug to the reading light.
Did you need a hole in the screen? Is the bed in the back?
If you have a picture, I'd love to see it.
I used action camera mounts with tape adhesive to the window. And they are tough. Most of the mount was from an inexpensive Andoer action camera kit. It's the part surrounding the camera. Some of the other parts are from GoPro parts I had. I took a small section of the screen spline out for the cable. The transmitter lays on the RB bed in our 30' Classic. The camera transmits at least 200'. And I spliced cigarette lighter adapter to the cable for power. We have a cigarette plug to power the television. Old school. We disconnect the camera from the transmitter and unplug power when we arrive.

Not the best camera when moving. It sure has worked well when backing in tight situations.

Durajohn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin cam.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	310379  
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAirS View Post
I used action camera mounts with tape adhesive to the window. And they are tough. Most of the mount was from an inexpensive Andoer action camera kit. It's the part surrounding the camera. Some of the other parts are from GoPro parts I had. I took a small section of the screen spline out for the cable. The transmitter lays on the RB bed in our 30' Classic. The camera transmits at least 200'. And I spliced cigarette lighter adapter to the cable for power. We have a cigarette plug to power the television. Old school. We disconnect the camera from the transmitter and unplug power when we arrive.

Not the best camera when moving. It sure has worked well when backing in tight situations.

Durajohn
Thanks! Good info.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We have a 4 camera system. nice, dedicated 7 inch LCD color screen... etc..
Wired.
Rear camera is permanent right above the rear license plate.
Ran wires along underbelly, came up inside where the old 30 Amp power came into the rig.. snaked along the underside of the bed, in the rear storage.. then pulled off the license plate shroud and came up from the be from the storage to the top of the license plate frame... added a nice 'drip loop'... and a grommet entrance into the license plate frame.. Nice, solid video.

On the side cameras, I mounted them to the rock guards... so, they do 'shimmy' when running down the road (amazing how much the wind pushes them around!!!)... So only 'permanent' one attached to the AS is on the stern.

Need to get a TV camera so I can see the running gear while underway..

be safe out there?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I used my Voyager WVOS541 this last week on a trip from Monument CO to Mesa Verde and back. Five mountain passes and lots of two-lane roads. No problems at all. No speed related flickering or cut-outs. Worked flawlessly and gave me great visibility. Five stars in my book!