Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #1

APO , AE
Randy

I'm a new member and am trying to get started on the right foot with my truck/trailer combo. I just ordered a 2013 Ford F250 FX4 4x4 6.7 diesel (3.55 AR) and am in the market for a used airstream classic limited or possibly a well-outfitted flying cloud - 2008 or newer. Primarily looking at 27/28, or possibly a 25 or 30 foot. Other than the obvious differences between the trailer lengths/weights/features, can anyone share their experience on differences in routinely towing, backing and parking these trailer sizes. Use will be occasional weekend trips to longer (up to 30 day) road trips across country, with lots of mountain driving. I want the versatility, but there appear to be some bargains for used 30-footers and I'm wondering how much of a pain it will be, day to day, to deal with a 30 footer over a 27/27 or a 25. All things considered (that I know) the 27/28 size seems to be a good choice for me, but I'd appreciate any experience/advice you can offer. Thanks!
randy.nored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There is very little difference towing a 25 and 30 footer down the open road. When it gets different is in the smaller state and federal parks when you have to back into a tight campsite. Your 250 diesel will handle any of them. How many people (and pets) will be coming along? What kind of toys will you be taking? Do you want a permanent dinette and bed you do not need to make up each day? Those are are the kind of things which make the choice. Airstream is marketing the 27 footer as the middle of the target market for touring and vacation trailers. A couple could almost full time in a 28 ft, if they were careful what they accumulate.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Welcome to our forums and glad you have a F250. We are full timing in a 27 footer, and have been doing this with success for the last seven years. However we have not towed big time yet- but thanks to all the great people here on the forums we are now equipped to travel. Show us some pictures and talk more about what your doing.
Bill
Old 11-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
we have had a 29' narrow body, then a 30' wide body and now a 28' wide body.
We loved them all but the 30 was about perfect, except the side bath was tight. No permanent dinette, just set it up as needed. I liked the larger walking space, lots of storage, good counter space and lots more. Unfortunately it had a bad accident or we would still have it. We now have the 28' w the walk through bath so it gives us lots of bath room space when closing off living area and BR area. The bed is side to side so the BR is smaller, still able to get around the bed, works just fine. The living area is almost the same as the 30' and we still can have 6 seated at a table for dinner parties.
We have enlarged drawers, added lots of shelving, and have good storage.
We are very happy w the 28'. Spent two mo. in it and had no problems. The importance of separate BR and LR space is important if you are on different time schedules. Would love to have that 250! Enjoy whatever you end up with.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Your Ford 250 Diesel will pull any Airstream out there even the 34 foot models with ease. Length is primarily determined by how much time your going to be spending in it. We go for a month or two at a time in our 31 foot and there are times we wish we had a little more room. We pull our Chevy 2500 HD through the mountains on cruise control and never realize we are pulling a trailer--that is the beauty of owning an Airstream. We fully load the Airstream, the bed of the truck, and have a hitch modification that accomodates our two bikes between the truck and the trailer so we use all the space. Sounds like you are well equipped to pick the length that is just right for your family.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your pursuit of the perfect Airstream, you have started off on the right foot acquiring a tow vehicle that is more than sufficient to tow any of the trailers that you are considering.

We have a 2005 25FB that we have had since new. We have used it extensively (1,160 nights/102,000 miles), but are not full timers. We have camped in for as long as nine weeks straight, and have found it quite comfortable.

Here are a few notes on the different size Airstreams that you are considering. The 25 footer is actually 26' (25' 11"). The 27FB is actually 28', and is 1" longer than the 28 footer, go figure. The 30 footer is actually 31' (30' 11").

All of this considered, you should choose based upon the floor plan that will work best for your situation.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #7

APO , AE
Thanks to all of you! This Airstream Forum stuff really works! Dwightdi - Sometimes it will just be me or my wife and I, or we'll invite another couple or a friend. Our son is out on his own now. Our Rhodesian Ridgeback will be with us on most trips. We want a permanent dinette and preferably a walk around bed. All points considered so far, I still believe the Classic 27FB or Flying Cloud 27 or 28 are good choices for us, although deals on that popular size seem tougher to find. I like getting as far from crowds as possible when I camp, so I plan to do some "boon-docking" and do wish to park in the National/State forest campgrounds when we can. My original idea was to haul my 2008 Harley Road Glide in the bed of the truck (thus was considering an F350 with a long bed) but decided against it given the challenge of loading/unloading (especially alone) and also the of dealing with the longer truck the other 90% of the time. Might buy a second smaller bike that will fit in the 6 3/4 foot bed that I'll have, and which is easier to handle and load (I'm not getting an younger). We don't have the truck yet, but have ordered it through Ford and will pick up on 1 April when we return on home leave (we're currently working in Germany). I'll buy the AS trailer when the right deal comes along. I have a covered place to store both before/after I get home to South Texas. Thanks again for the advice. Please send any further thoughts you have. Regards from Rhineland - Randy
randy.nored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Covered storage with electric so that you can run a de-humidifier.

A thread on here asks about the distance one would travel for the right TT. 1,200-miles was the consensus. (Transporters can also be hired).

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
We have an F-250 with the V-10 gas engine and tow our 2002 30' Classic with a slide. We love the slide. Before we acquired our AS, we had a 40' Carriage 5th wheel. It was a real tank. Our AS is a dream to tow, park, camp and live in for extended periods. The longest we have stayed in it at one time is nearly 4 months. We have gone for one long 7,000 mile excursion from Idaho to Florida and back with side trips to California, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah. There's nothing like towing an AS. No matter where we stayed the night, we always get some comments from other campers wanting to look in our AS or ask us questions. There are also no friendlier people than fellow Airstreamers. Join a local AS club and go to the rallies, you will have a blast. Welcome and keep us informed as to what you finally decide to purchase.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The only significant difference in maneuvering a 25' or 30' is determined by the wheelbase of the tow vehicle.

You've already got that on order, so get the trailer size that fits you best.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We have a 34 which we dearly love, and pull it with a long, wide truck. Many would say overkill. We are weekenders (still working) and take a couple long trips a year, averaging about 7500 miles/year total.

We are 57' long hooked up. Can't fit into every site, but there is usually one available somewhere in the park. We find that it's not the site itself that won't work, they are mostly long enough, but sometimes a tree or site post or something prevents us from manuvering in. Generally speaking, long trailers back better than short ones.

If it is a destination park, a little quick research before we leave will usually determine whether or not it will accomodate us. Ahh, the world of electronics and instant gratification. If we are traveling, just pulling in for the nite, the attendent will generally know if we will fit.

Going down the road, they all look the same in the rear view mirror. It's when you pull off that the real adventure begins. Gas stations, rest areas, restaurants. Yep, those places ,short would be nice. With some expierence, even that becomes easier. You look for the places that work for you. Keep going if they don't.

We enjoy the space our 34 provides. We have friends that have 25-32 that are also roomy. More many, less is more. Cardinal rule of ALL trailers: for whatever you gain here, you give up there. For us, had short trailers, much prefer the long ones. Plus, as a bonus, usually in the used trailer market, the longer ones go for less than the shorter ones.

Best of luck with your decision. Visit an Airstream rally and pick some brains. Nobody knows their trailer better than its owner.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote