Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tappahannock , Virginia
RAM Diesel DEF / DPF immobilization

Thinking about upgrading to a RAM Laramie 2500 6.7 diesel TV. Kind of worried about reading about the diesel particulate filter that can bring the vehicle to walking speed if the DPF/DEF gets clogged or needs regen. What's your experience? Is it routine maintenance (typically how frequently?) or is it a drop dead issue that can interrupt long RV trips?
RivaHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Haven't had an issue since I purchased my RAM 2500 about 18 months ago. There's plenty or warning and a tank of DEF last a couple of thousand miles.

You'll love the Torque. Very pleased with mine.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Regeneration happens when you are driving down the road or at a fast idle. You shouldn't realize it is even happening except for an occasional odd smell or sound from the exhaust.
DEF - keep some in the tank and you shouldn't have trouble. The biggest issue is that DEF has a shelf life - something to be aware of.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Just bought a 2015 Ram 2500 CTD last August. Only have 1200miles. The DEF gauge hasn't budged, still on Full. I've only towed two short trips. Oil change maintenance is 15k/6mos unless heaving towing so I'll be changing my oil every 6 months. Fuel filters have to be changed periodically. There are two of them. Its true that if the DEF/DPF system has an issue it can cause the engine to go into limp mode. Guess you have to have some faith in the computer but every vehicle today has computers.

I wish the DEF/DPF was covered under the 5yr/100k mile warranty but its only on the 3 year so I'm going to make sure I perform the required maintenance.

Buying diesel when towing will be a chore not because there isn't diesel available but because of the diesel locations in stations. They are often by themselves without self pay or on end cap islands with autos taking up the spots using the gas pump on the combined diesel/gas pump. I haven't tried a truck island but have read they use higher pressure pumps and require to walk inside to pay.

Kelvin
Old 10-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Does running without DEF hurt the vehicle, if not hot wire the level indicator to always read full.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Austin , Texas
I have the GMC diesel with DEF. the truck uses more DEF when towing. In a recent road trip, the message appeared that I would lose performance in 700 miles if I didn't refill the DEF tank. Bought some DEF and a funnel at the next fuel stop and tried to make it to that night's campsite. Ultimately pulled over and filled the DEF tank before reaching the campsite. Not a big deal on the GMC. Messaged ceased appearing within a few miles of filling the DEF tank.
tomterrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Does running without DEF hurt the vehicle, if not hot wire the level indicator to always read full.

Perry

Perry, could potentially hurt the vehicle...don't really know, as I haven't any practical experience with anyone who has done it.

However, simply disabling the level sensor is FARRRRRRRRR from the answer to defeating the system.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
The computer is smarter than that...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #9
George

2007 25' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Don't worry about DEF

I just finished a 4000 mile round trip from Canada through the Western US (down to Yosemite). Towing a 2007 25' Classic with a 2500HD GMC.
Getting diesel was no problem, DEF warning comes on when about 1000 miles left, so I just added 2.5 Gallons at the next fuel stop (available at the service station).
Overall average fuel economy was 17.3 liters/100km (or 13.6 USMPG). Lot of steep and twisty roads, so I'm happy with that. Very much liked the turbo-diesel performance.

Not worth disabling the system IMHO.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What is the shelf life of DEF. When I purchased my Ram in August it was about 1/2 full and the dealer topped it up. I've got 1250miles on the truck and it still shows full. Guess I've not had a regen yet. After this last weekend trip next week there will be no towing until April. The truck will sit unused except for 1 day a week I plan to drive it to work. If the DEF gauge still shows full in February it won't be until next August when I will have the oil changed again. Will the DEF in my tank be too old?

Kelvin
Old 10-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Just bought a 2015 Ram 2500 CTD last August. Only have 1200miles. The DEF gauge hasn't budged, still on Full. I've only towed two short trips. Oil change maintenance is 15k/6mos unless heaving towing so I'll be changing my oil every 6 months. Fuel filters have to be changed periodically. There are two of them. Its true that if the DEF/DPF system has an issue it can cause the engine to go into limp mode. Guess you have to have some faith in the computer but every vehicle today has computers.

I wish the DEF/DPF was covered under the 5yr/100k mile warranty but its only on the 3 year so I'm going to make sure I perform the required maintenance.

Buying diesel when towing will be a chore not because there isn't diesel available but because of the diesel locations in stations. They are often by themselves without self pay or on end cap islands with autos taking up the spots using the gas pump on the combined diesel/gas pump. I haven't tried a truck island but have read they use higher pressure pumps and require to walk inside to pay.

Kelvin

Hi Kelvin,
It is true that buying Diesel can sometimes be a bit complicated. We have learned to scout out the pumps via eyeball before entering the facility. We are looking for small nozzle pumps on the outside of an end unit. We have not always got it right and sometimes we are faced with a large nozzle, with the small nozzle being on the inside. Not good. I have purchased and modified a funnel for these occasions. Some of the European Diesels already come with an adapter. Stations on the Interstate seem to be much easier to navigate with Airstream in tow than the residential stations due to the generally increased room for maneuvering. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
All modern diesels have DEF and the same EPA regulations on punishing you if you try to cheat the system, like thinking you can drive without filling it or disconnecting it. They all give warnings on nearing empty tank. The DEF has no relationship to harming your engine if you run low or out. DEF is mixed with the exhaust emission systems. It is basically Uriah. I can't speak for RAM but I have lost 3 DEF pumps on my 2011 Ford 6.7L in 150k miles. Crazy I know. But the Ford recognized the difference between running the DEF system out of DEF vs it could since a failure in the DEF pump motor. So, instead of punishing you to a crippling slow speed it still killed your performance, I would loose about 25% of my power and get an engine warning light, I ran this way for about 1,500 miles on a trip . Don't know if the new Ford's still do this or other brands. But at least someone was thinking in 2011.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Reduced power modes are required by the epa and are the same on all us light duty diesels.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-23-2015, 08:12 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post

Perry
That's not how it works.Every system is monitored to stay in compliance
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What is the shelf life of DEF. When I purchased my Ram in August it was about 1/2 full and the dealer topped it up. I've got 1250miles on the truck and it still shows full. Guess I've not had a regen yet. After this last weekend trip next week there will be no towing until April. The truck will sit unused except for 1 day a week I plan to drive it to work. If the DEF gauge still shows full in February it won't be until next August when I will have the oil changed again. Will the DEF in my tank be too old?

Kelvin
Def life is shortened by high temps-anywhere from 2yrs down to 2 mos.Def useage is only very slightly affected by regens.You have had your truck go through regens-it is usally pretty seamless and goes unnoticed
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Old 10-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
http://www.wccressey.com/Cummins%20F...0DEF%20FAQ.pdf
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Old 10-24-2015, 02:32 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I saw a video where a guy filled his DEF tank with water to turn off the limp mode. Truck ran fine. Don't know if that damaged the catalyst or not but truck probably was not as clean as the EPA would like for a while. I would think the particulate filter would clog up and hurt performance if a few regen cycles were ruined because of water in the tank instead of DEF. Then again water injection cleans combustion chambers so it might clean the filter somewhat? The point of the video was to test the rumor that you don't have to buy DEF to keep your truck running and it worked. Long term unknowns not addressed.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It's not a rumor. It might run normally for awhile, but there are Def quality sensors which will trigger the time down from 700 miles to eventual reduces power just like an empty tank. Then you would have to get all the remaining diluted Def out in order to fill with fresh Def and continue. Unless you're VW and write "creative" software. But that's the required mechanics of it.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
This from service manual:

"Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Warning Strategy (Anti-Tampering)
The reductant system supplies the Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) stage of the vehicle’s exhaust after treatment system with the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) required to reduce exhaust Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) levels. The Engine Control Module (ECM) continuously monitors the performance of the reductant system during operation.

When the conditions associated with an attempt to disable reductant system operation are detected, the ECM activates the anti-tampering feature and presents the driver with a series of prompts and warnings.

Once initiated, anti-tampering warnings grow increasingly more serious as the vehicle continues to be driven. The vehicle’s current warning status is displayed on the scan tool. When tampering is suspected, the normally Off Reductant System Malfunction Warning Indicator Command will display Warning Level 1 through Warning Level 11 depending on the number of miles driven. The series anti-tampering warnings alert the driver that reductant system service is urgently needed.

Warning Level 1
Warning Level 1 is triggered when the ECM first detects an abnormal value on a reductant system circuit. The Driver Information Center (DIC) displays the following messages:

For Non-Emergency vehicles and Emergency vehicles MY 2013 and older:

•Service Exhaust Fluid System
•See Owner’s Manual Now
•160 km (99 miles) until 105 km/h (65 mph) Max Speed
For Emergency vehicles MY 2014 and newer:

•See Owner’s Manual Now
•999 km (620 miles) until 105 km/h (65 mph) Max Speed
The messages alternate every 5 seconds in the DIC until acknowledged by the driver; however, the mileage countdown message remains in the DIC. The DEF Indicator in the instrument panel is illuminated.

Warning Level 2
Warning Level 2 is triggered after the first mileage counter expires. The driver will hear 4 chimes on entering Warning Level 2. The DIC displays the following messages:

•See Owner’s Manual Now
•Transitioning to 105 km/h (65 mph) Max Speed
The messages alternate every 5 seconds in the DIC until acknowledged by the driver; however, the Transitioning to 105 km/h (65 mph) Max Speed remains in the DIC. The DEF Indicator in the instrument panel is illuminated. Vehicle speed limit is ramping down from max speed limit to the limit of 105 km/h (65 mph).

Warning Level 3
Warning Level 2 automatically advances to Warning Level 3 after the speed limit ramp down is complete or a key cycle. The driver will hear 4 chimes on entering Warning Level 3. The DIC displays the following messages:

•See Owner’s Manual Now
•Speed Limited to 105 km/h (65 mph)
•120 km (75 miles) Until 89 km/h (55 mph) Max Speed
The messages alternate every 5 seconds in the DIC until acknowledged by the driver; however, the Speed Limited to 105 km/h (65 mph) remains in the DIC. The DEF Indicator in the instrument panel is illuminated.

Vehicle speed is limited to 105 km/h (65 mph).

Warning Level 4
Warning Level 4 is triggered after the second mileage counter expires. The driver will hear 4 chimes on entering Warning Level 4. The DIC displays the following messages:

•See Owner’s Manual Now
•Transitioning to 89 km/h (55 mph) Max Speed
The messages alternate every 5 seconds until acknowledged by the driver; however, the Transitioning to 89 km/h (55 mph) Max Speed remain displayed in the DIC. The DEF Indicator in the instrument panel flashes continuously. Vehicle speed limit is ramping down from 105 km/h (65 mph) max speed limit to 89 km/h (55 mph).

Warning Level 5
Warning Level 4 automatically advances to Warning Level 5 after speed limit ramp down is complete or a key cycle. The driver will hear 4 chimes on entering Warning Level 5. The series of 4 chimes will repeat 3 times every 3 minutes during each ignition cycle until the vehicle is serviced. The DIC displays the following messages:

•See Owner’s Manual Now
•Speed Limited to 89 km/h (55 mph)
•120 km (75 miles) Until 7 km/h (4 mph) Max Speed
The messages alternate every 5 seconds until acknowledged by the driver; however, the speed limitation and mileage countdown remains displayed in the DIC. The DEF Indicator in the instrument panel flashes continuously.

Vehicle speed is limited to 89 km/h (55 mph)

Warning Level 6
Warning Level 6 is not used

Warning Level 7
Warning Level 7 is not used

Warning Level 8
Warning Level 8 is not used

Warning Level 9
Warning Level 9 is not used

Warning Level 10
Warning Level 5 automatically advances to Warning Level 10 after third mileage counter expires or a key cycle. The driver will hear 4 chimes on entering Warning Level 10. The DIC displays the following messages:

•See Owner’s Manual Now
•Transitioning to 7 km/h (4 mph)
The messages alternate every 5 seconds until acknowledged by the driver; however, the Transitioning to 7 km/h (4 mph) remains displayed in the DIC. The DEF Indicator in the instrument panel flashes continuously. Vehicle speed limit is ramping down from 89 km/h (55 mph) max speed limit to 7 km/h (4 mph).

Warning Level 11
Warning Level 10 automatically advances to Warning Level 11 after speed limit ramp down is complete or a key cycle. The driver will hear 4 chimes on entering Warning Level 11. The series of 4 chimes will repeat every 3 minutes until the vehicle is serviced. The DIC displays the following messages:

•See Owner’s Manual Now
•Speed Limited to 7 km/h (4 mph)
The messages alternate every 5 seconds until acknowledged by the driver; however, the Speed Limited to 7 km/h (4 mph) remains displayed in the DIC. The DEF Indicator in the instrument panel flashes continuously.

Vehicle speed is limited to 7 km/h (4 mph)."

Old 10-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
And this relative to DEF quality:

"Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Warning Strategy (DEF Quality)
A supply of clean, fresh Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is critical for optimum Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) efficiency. SCR efficiency is determined by monitoring the Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) sensors located upstream and downstream of the SCR. This vehicle provides the driver with an elaborate series of prompts and warnings that are initiated when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects a drop in the SCR NOx reduction efficiency suggesting a diluted or contaminated DEF supply.

When contaminated or diluted DEF is suspected, the ECM initiates the DEF Quality warning process. Once initiated, DEF quality warnings grow increasingly more serious as the vehicle continues to be driven. The vehicle’s current DEF quality warning status is displayed on the scan tool. When a drop in SCR efficiency is detected, the normally Off Reductant Field Quality Warning Indicator Command will display Warning Level 1 through Warning Level 11 depending on the number of miles driven. The series of DEF Quality Warnings alert the driver that DEF system service is urgently needed.

Warning Level 1
Warning Level 1 is triggered when the ECM first detects the SCR efficiency is below a calibrated value. The Driver Information Center (DIC) displays the following messages:

For Non-Emergency vehicles and Emergency vehicles MY 2013 and older:

•Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor
•See Owner’s Manual Now
•160 km (99 miles) until 105 km/h (65 mph) Max Speed
For Emergency vehicles MY 2014 and newer:

•See Owner’s Manual Now
•999 km (620 miles) until 105 km/h (65 mph) Max Speed
The messages alternate every 5 seconds until acknowledged by the driver; however, the mileage countdown remains displayed in the DIC. The DEF Indicator in the instrument panel is illuminated.

Warning Level 2
Warning Level 2 is triggered after the first mileage countdown expires without a DEF fluid service. The driver will hear 4 chimes on entering Warning Level 2. The DIC displays the following messages:

•See Owner’s Manual Now
•Transitioning to 105 km/h (65 mph) Max Speed
The messages alternate every 5 seconds until acknowledged by the driver; however, the Transitioning to 105 km/h (65 mph) Max Speed remains displayed in the DIC. The DEF Indicator in the instrument panel is illuminated. Vehicle speed limit is ramping down from max speed limit to the limit of 105 km/h (65 mph).

Warning Level 3
Warning Level 2 automatically advances to Warning Level 3 after speed limit ramp down is complete or a key cycle. The driver will hear 4 chimes on entering Warning Level 3. The DIC displays the following messages:

•See Owner’s Manual Now
•Speed Limited to 105 km/h (65 mph)
•120 km (75 miles) Until 89 km/h (55 mph) Max Speed
The messages alternate every 5 seconds until acknowledged by the driver; however, the speed limitation and mileage countdown remains displayed on the DIC. The DEF Indicator in the instrument panel is illuminated.

Vehicle speed is limited to 105 km/h (65 mph).

Warning Level 4
Warning Level 4 is triggered after the second mileage countdown expires without a DEF fluid service. The driver will hear 4 chimes on entering Warning Level 4. The DIC displays the following messages:

•See Owner’s Manual Now
•Transitioning to 89 km/h (55 mph)
The messages alternate every 5 seconds until acknowledged by the driver; however, the Transitioning to 89 km/h (55 mph) remains displayed in the DIC. The DEF Indicator in the instrument panel flashes continuously. Vehicle speed limit is ramping down from 105 km/h (65 mph) max speed limit to 89 km/h (55 mph).

Warning Level 5
Warning Level 5 is triggered after the speed limit ramp down is complete or a key cycle. The driver will hear 4 chimes on entering Warning Level 5. The series of 4 chimes will repeat 3 additional times every 3 minutes . The DIC displays the following messages:

•See Owner’s Manual Now
•Speed Limited to 89 km/h (55 mph)
•120 km (75 miles) Until 7 km/h (4 mph) Max Speed
The messages alternate every 5 seconds until acknowledged by the driver; however, the speed limitation and mileage countdown remains displayed in the DIC. The DEF Indicator in the instrument panel flashes continuously.

Vehicle speed is limited to 89 km/h (55 mph).

Warning Level 6
Warning Level 6 is not used.

Warning Level 7
Warning Level 7 is not used.

Warning Level 8
Warning Level 8 is not used.

Warning Level 9
Warning Level 9 is not used.

Warning Level 10
Warning Level 10 is triggered after the third mileage counter expires without a DEF fluid service. The driver will hear 4 chimes on entering Warning Level 10. The DIC displays the following messages:

•See Owner’s Manual Now
•Transitioning to 7 km (4 mph) Max Speed
The messages alternate every 5 seconds until acknowledged by the driver; however, the Transitioning to 6 km/h (4 mph) Max Speed remains displayed in the DIC. The DEF Indicator in the instrument panel flashes continuously. Vehicle speed limit is ramping down from 89 km/h (55 mph) max speed limit to 7 km/h (4 mph).

Warning Level 11
Warning Level 11 is triggered after the speed limit ramp down is complete or a key cycle. The driver will hear 4 chimes every 3 minutes on entering Warning Level 11. The series of 4 chimes will repeat every 3 minutes. The DIC displays the following messages:

•See Owner’s Manual Now
•Speed Limited to 7 km (4 mph) Max Speed
The messages alternate every 5 seconds until acknowledged by the driver; however, the Speed Limited to 7 km (4 mph) Max Speed remains displayed in the DIC. The DEF Indicator in the instrument panel flashes continuously.

Vehicle speed is limited to 7 km/h (4 mph)."