Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tappahannock , Virginia
RAM 2500 auto leveling rear suspension

Looking at a RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins short bed and one of the vehicles has auto leveling rear suspension - is this a must have feature or just nice to have?
RivaHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
RAM 2500 auto leveling rear suspension

I waited 5 months until the auto leveling was available on the 2014. I'm very happy with it and enjoy the ride. Must have in my opinion.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
It was a must have for me.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I suggest that you look into the air suspension 2500's by searching on the following forums which are dedicated to the Ram CTD trucks.

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forum.php

Both the forums are great sources of insights. However the Turbo Diesel Register is akin to an owners group and you can access all the back issues of their quarterly magazines in addition to getting the new ones if you are a paid subscriber. If you are going to buy a Ram CTD, I would suggest you go ahead and pay the annual subscription, do your research, and make sure you get what you want and more importantly, understand what you are getting. By the way, you can join the forum without subscribing to the annual membership. For me personally the value is the depth of technical information and experience represented in the publications past, present and future.

I personally chose the coil spring suspension after my research.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins went from the purchase city Indianapolis to Oskaloosa, IA where a complete Kelderman level ride airbag suspension was factory installed front and rear. It has an on board air compressor that we also plumbed into an external air chuck beside the rear license plate for an air hose for tire maintenance on the road.

The big advantage for me being short is the droppable rear end which lowers about 6" when the rear shocks air is dumped. The truck sits level regardless of the load. The ride is much improved over the original coil springs.

Towing, we run the stock Michelin LT265/70R17E tires at 80 psi. Seems to steer better with the stiffer front tires.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
I purchased a 2015 RAM 1500 with 4 corner air suspension. I know the 2500 only has the rear air available but with that said, I will be ordering a 2016 RAM 2500 in Feb. with factory rear air. Given my experience hauling a 25FC all summer long with a factory auto leveling, I don't know if I could ever do without it. Individuals I ran into with the 2500 factory auto leveling were as impressed as me. And this is not just for towing, it also improves the overall ride when empty. I say go for it!

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
I purchased a 2015 RAM 1500 with 4 corner air suspension. I know the 2500 only has the rear air available but with that said, I will be ordering a 2016 RAM 2500 in Feb. with factory rear air. Given my experience hauling a 25FC all summer long with a factory auto leveling, I don't know if I could ever do without it. Individuals I ran into with the 2500 factory auto leveling were as impressed as me. And this is not just for towing, it also improves the overall ride when empty. I say go for it!
Greg, can you share with us the difference between the two systems?
Thanks

Air #64439
Old 11-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
There is an option on the 1500 for front and rear air suspension. The 2500 is on the rear suspension only. They work similar in that they both adjust to a level ride no matter the load on the vehicle. It is just the 1500 does front and rear because it also has other adjustments like lowering at highway speeds and raising the truck for off roading. The 2500 rear leveling is geared for keeping the rear level depending on loads. But also has a tow option that lowers the rear so the front and rear of truck are parallel to the ground, then the truck maintains a level ride dynamically depending on loads (trailer, people, fuel, cargo etc.). As these factors change your 2500 will remain level and parallel level to the ground.

PS: if you get auto level there is a special method that MUST be followed for your initial load leveling hitch to be setup. Most techs at dealerships and RV places have no concept of this method and will set you up incorrectly if you have this factory leveling on your truck. It's in the RAM manual but it is not the best description.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
PS: if you get auto level there is a special method that MUST be followed for your initial load leveling hitch to be setup. Most techs at dealerships and RV places have no concept of this method and will set you up incorrectly if you have this factory leveling on your truck. It's in the RAM manual but it is not the best description.
PlanB, could you provide a reference for this method? I couldn't find anything in my 2014 2500 manual regarding the initial setup.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:

I just ordered a RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins short bed. Do you have a better description of the correct initial setup?
Old 11-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
I waited 5 months until the auto leveling was available on the 2014. I'm very happy with it and enjoy the ride. Must have in my opinion.
Please be advised that several tests were made using automatic rear end leveling.

They "ALL" proved the same DISADVANTAGE.

When automatic leveling took place, the principle purpose of the load equalizing hitch was VOIDED by that system.

Further proof was the large number of roll over accidents that we (Caravanner Insurance) paid for when automatic leveling was used. Also improper inflated "air bags" and "air shocks" did the same thing, namely defeating the purpose of a load equalizing hitch.

Simply put, it took the bend out of the bars, meaning weight was not being properly transfered.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
PlanB, could you provide a reference for this method? I couldn't find anything in my 2014 2500 manual regarding the initial setup.
Go to the Ram Trucks Owners Manual access page.

Instructions are given beginning on page 646 for 2015 and page 694 for 2016.

It's interesting to note that the Ram instructions now have an implied 67% front axle load restoration for the 1500 models with air suspension and 50% for "All Other 1500(Non-Air Suspension)/2500/3500 Trucks".

Ron
Ron Gratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
Greg, can you share with us the difference between the two systems?
Thanks
Alen,

The owners manual that comes with the RAMs I do not believe they come with the instructions. I have attached, I hope, a pasted together PDF images out of the online RAM manual for air suspension adjustment with a WDH.

The RAM online manual is much more robust with info. than the paper form. Here is the link to their web site to select your vehicle. This is where I got the info:

Ram Trucks Owners Service Manuals

Note: the 2500 instructions (air suspension) for weight distributing hitches is very vague. Also read the instructions for the 1500 too, also included. The measurements for initial adjustment are different, that makes since, but it does not mention to turn off the load leveling air suspension before making these initial adjustments, as it notes for the 1500 and I am accustomed to. I would suggest putting the 2500 into JACK MODE, but it does not mention this and thus makes no since to me. The 1500 does mention the JACK mode. The physics are the same between both trucks so JACK mode makes since to me or the 2500 will be fighting to correct you when adjusting for the WDH setup. Hope this makes since and the attached file works. My attachment is from the 2016 RAM user manual. same instructions as the 2015.

http://cdn.airforums.com/forums/imag...attach/pdf.gif
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RAM Air Susp LLH Adjustments.pdf (796.5 KB, 180 views)

Old 11-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Please be advised that several tests were made using automatic rear end leveling.

When automatic leveling took place, the principle purpose of the load equalizing hitch was VOIDED by that system.

Further proof was the large number of roll over accidents that we (Caravanner Insurance) paid for when automatic leveling was used. Also improper inflated "air bags" and "air shocks" did the same thing, namely defeating the purpose of a load equalizing hitch.

Simply put, it took the bend out of the bars, meaning weight was not being properly transfered.

Andy
Andy, would you please share with us these studies you mention? If true these would be important to know. Per my noting in this thread, most RV centers and Ram dealers have NO idea how to setup properly the Ram factory air suspension when using a WDH. As i noted, if JACK mode is not initiated for the initial setup then the purpose and dynamics of the WDH will basically be nullified. Is this dangerous, I can't say, but putting into Jack mode,then adjusting, then the air suspension will only supplement the WDH +/- has the payload changes on the TV. How this is would intice roll over would be interesting. I wonder how all the semis handle running on air?

Old 11-23-2015, 06:47 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:

Andy
Do you have any empirical evidence for other air suspension systems such as my 2008 Range Rover HSE? I have Blue Ox WD with 1,000 lbs bars that remain bowed when vehicle is level and running. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:

Andy
Buzz kill.....
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I towed a 6,000 pound trailer with my 2001 Tahoe equipped with a rear air load leveling system. The weight distribution system was initially set up with the load leveling system at rest, not active. The air system kicked in after approximately 2 miles of running and brought the SUV and trailer to a level attitude. I towed over 100,000 miles with this combination all over the U.S. mountain west, southwest and Canada. The WDS and Air Leveling system was very effective and reliable.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
As with any rig, the Cat scales are the best answer as to whether or not the weight distribution bars are working or not and restoring the load to the front axle.

I suggest that for a vehicle equipped with self leveling air bags it is very important to check it out on the scales since you cannot do the dimensional measurements and checks to confirm deflections, etc. So the scales will let you know where you are after the truck levels up automatically in terms of WD.

Air #64439