Old 07-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Btw, I also have a GMC 3500 Dually Duramax but I rarely tow the AS with it as the RAM rides so much nicer!

Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
I think you made a GREAT choice with the RAM. The 8 speed ZF German made transmission is the best of the 1500s. The HEMI is time proven and with improvements has mileage just 1mpg below the 6 cylinder Ford. Most people are stuck on one brand but every time i a buy a new truck I test drive all three (OK some people like the Tundra but with less hp and torque than the RAM and 2 mpg less why?). They are all great products but when I drive a Ford I can't get comfortable in the seat! GM and RAM are close for me but I like the dash and integration of the technology in the RAM best. It is a personal choice and they will all do the job and serve you well for a couple hundred thousand miles. I would just say that next time you are in the market for a truck try all of them as at this point they are all super quality vehicles and will give you trouble free services!

Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have been extremely happy with our 2012 Ram 1500 Hemi and now Ram 1500 EcoDiesel towing our Airstream all over the country six months every year. The 8-speed transmission was a great improvement, works beautifully with the EcoDoesel and 3.92 axles with smooth power delivery and excellent engine compression braking.

They have carried all we have ever needed on our trips, provided plenty of power and braking, and our ProPride hitch ensures excellent weight distribution and absolute stability.

We manage load capacity by loading the trailer to 10-12% trailer weight on the hitch, and carry little weight behind the rear axle of our truck. Last weighing this spring showed our loaded Airstream and ProPride hitch adds 840 lbs to our truck when weight distribution is set. We could do a little better, our goal is 740 lbs.

We much prefer a nice riding tow vehicle which must also be a daily driver on our long trips. The Ram 1500 with coil or air suspension is very nice, it doesn't beat us or or Airstream up, we have experienced none of the damage others have reported inside their Airstreams. We prefer the P-rated 20 series tires, plenty of load capacity, great handling and a nice ride. With an effective weight distribution hitch and thoughtful loading we are able to see only 20 lbs difference between front and rear axle weights of the truck, no air bags needed to achieve a very well balanced truck.

The Ram Hemi was easy on fuel as pickups go, the EcoDiesel is remarkable. We absolutely love this truck with or without the Airstream hitched up.

Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote