Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ram 1500 Express Tow Vehicle

I have been shopping a variety of tow vehicles, with a preference for a European-type Diesel SUV. The am convinced they are best in today's unstable fuel prices, and for all-around use. BUT, we have a like-new Jetta TDI for non-towing use that almost doubles the fuel efficiency of these vehicles, and we love to drive it.

So we need a towing workhorse that is still easy to get around in when we arrive for long stays at our destinations.

I came upon a new 2012 Ram 1500 Express 5.7 hemi with all the tow options including brake controller. Regular cab (just the two of us) and standard bed makes 120" wheelbase, 20" wheels w/low profile tires. I know it has the guts, it is the stability I wonder about.

Yes the gas mileage is lousy but at half the price of a VW Touareg, $25,000 buys a lot of gas. It's primary mission is towing and general pickup chores around home, and daily driver when we are away with the Airstream (which is a lot).

Anyone towed with this muscle-bound little truck, or something similar?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
I have been shopping a variety of tow vehicles, with a preference for a European-type Diesel SUV. The am convinced they are best in today's unstable fuel prices, and for all-around use. BUT, we have a like-new Jetta TDI for non-towing use that almost doubles the fuel efficiency of these vehicles, and we love to drive it.

So we need a towing workhorse that is still easy to get around in when we arrive for long stays at our destinations.

I came upon a new 2012 Ram 1500 Express 5.7 hemi with all the tow options including brake controller. Regular cab (just the two of us) and standard bed makes 120" wheelbase, 20" wheels w/low profile tires. I know it has the guts, it is the stability I wonder about.

Yes the gas mileage is lousy but at half the price of a VW Touareg, $25,000 buys a lot of gas. It's primary mission is towing and general pickup chores around home, and daily driver when we are away with the Airstream (which is a lot).

doug k
Why not go with the Dodge diesel? It will have better gas mileage. I have not had a stability issue with mine.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rumship, can I get a new Dodge diesel for under $25,000? That's the price of the Express 1500 5.7 gas 6 speed with all the tow gizmos.

doug k
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Coudersport , Pennsylvania
Hi Doug,
I am currently towing with a. 07 RAM 1500 Quad Cab. It came with factory towing minus the brake controller. 5.7 Hemi. I get 14 mpg around town and 17 on the highway ( not towing ). This summer in high temps ( in excess of 85 degrees ) I averaged 11.5 mpg towing in Northern PA and NewYork state, most of which was NOT Interstate Highway driving. The ease at which the truck hauled the camper was impressive, never a lack of power. Getting your WD hitch setup correctly is important.
My previous tow vehicle was a Cadillac Escalade. Nice truck, but it does not compare to the RAM. The Escalade even had a hopped up 6.0 in it.
Personally after the initial break in of the rig, go synthetic.

Steve
77Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
Rumship, can I get a new Dodge diesel for under $25,000? That's the price of the Express 1500 5.7 gas 6 speed with all the tow gizmos.

doug k
Used. So yes would be the answer.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Looks like new 2012 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 6 spd trans 4x4 with reg cab 120" wheelbase will be our tow vehicle. At $24,000 ($7k off msrp) a lot of equipment.

Meets tow specs for our Airstream and a size we can get around with nicely for extended trips away from home. Have some concerns about short wheelbase stability for towing but perhaps that's why they make Hensley style hitch. Any experience with this truck size?

It has the factory built-in brake controller, I'm wondering if it will work with our Airstream?

The rear axle coil springs ride really nice for us and perhaps the Airstream, any experience?

doug k
Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Doug

We tow with an 08 Tundra 5.7L double cab 2wd 6 spd truck that I paid 25k for. I have been very happy with it as a TV. We get 13.5 mpg towing our 66TW gently. My only complaint is that the truck is HUGE.

Sounds like your proposed truck is similar except 4wd and regular cab. My only concern would be the stability, but I agree that a Hensley or similar hitch should address that issue. Your truck will be easier for solo driving also since it is a regular cab. Sounds like a good decision to me.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Did you check the payload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

doug k
Hi Doug,

My husband and I haven't towed with this truck BUT we've been around and around with tow vehicles and one of our favorites was the Dodge Ram 1500 4x4.

One thing to consider is the payload on this truck. Not sure if you've done the numbers but we did and found we would be WAY over with this truck.

The trim my husband liked on this truck is the Ram 1500 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 5'7" Box with 3.55 Rear Axel Ratio. The tow capacity is 8150 lbs and the payload is 1146 lbs. Not sure if you can increase the rear axel ratio on this truck but it might be worth looking into considering the loaded hitch weight on your 25' AS and the loaded weight of the Ram truck including passengers, cargo and a full tank (gas weight is 218 lbs on this truck).

Anyway, just another thing to consider
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I tow a 25' Airstream with a 119" wheel base. Works for me.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrafun View Post
Hi Doug,

My husband and I haven't towed with this truck BUT we've been around and around with tow vehicles and one of our favorites was the Dodge Ram 1500 4x4.

One thing to consider is the payload on this truck. Not sure if you've done the numbers but we did and found we would be WAY over with this truck.

The trim my husband chose on this truck is the Ram 1500 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 5'7" Box with 3.55 Rear Axel Ratio. The tow capacity is 8150 lbs and the payload is 1146 lbs. Not sure if you can increase the rear axel ratio on this truck but it might be worth looking into considering the loaded hitch weight on your 25' AS and the loaded weight of the Ram truck including passengers, cargo and a full tank (gas weight is 218 lbs on this truck).

Anyway, just another thing to consider
Sierrafun

The trailer towing capacity of my Tundra is about 10k and the payload is about 1,680 lbs. I would have a hard time dealing with a smaller payload than I already have since I am slightly over the GVWR of my truck towing my 4,700 lb 1966 Tradewind. Sounds like you and your husband are knowledgeable and are looking at a real nice truck. Are you sure the payload is only 1146 lbs?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Tow capacity on our new Ram is 8900#, payload is 1417#. Our usual truck load on a six month trip is the Airstream with a weight distribution hitch (some tongue weight to trailer axles), two of us in the truck, Honda 2000 generator, 2 bicycles. Before the Airstream we traveled the country since 1972 with VW campers (pack lightly).

doug k
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I tow a 25' Airstream with a 119" wheel base. Works for me.
Thanks Bob, that's useful experience, and my only concern with this new truck. And I think you use an Equal-I-Zer brand hitch?

doug k
Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Payload Capacities

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Sierrafun

The trailer towing capacity of my Tundra is about 10k and the payload is about 1,680 lbs. I would have a hard time dealing with a smaller payload than I already have since I am slightly over the GVWR of my truck towing my 4,700 lb 1966 Tradewind. Sounds like you and your husband are knowledgeable and are looking at a real nice truck. Are you sure the payload is only 1146 lbs?

Dan
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the nice compliment but honestly, everything I've learned is from months on this forum by reading posts from you and many others. So thank you!

Yes, I'm sure about the payload on the 1500 Dodge Ram we spec'd (I just triple checked on Ram Trucks website).

As I'm sure you know, the payload is affected by the trim chosen. Doug isn't looking at the crew cab, he's considering the regular cab and this among other things makes a difference in not only tow rating but payload. And like you, we also discovered that when we compared the 4x4 Toyota Tundra Platinum Crew Cab with the 1500 Dodge Ram I described above, we found that the Tundra offered a bigger payload.

The most surprising thing of all Dan was where the European SUV's stacked in terms of payload. I created a spreadsheet that spec's out Large SUV's, Medium Sized SUV's and 1/2 ton Trucks and believe it or not, the SUV's beat most the 1/2 ton trucks in payload! But when it comes to 3/4 ton Diesels, they are the pack leaders in terms of payload (I'm sure that's no surprise to anyone).

Anyway, hope this answers your question. Here's a link to my source:
Ram - Compare Vehicle and Model Specifications - Highlights

Make sure you compare the correct trim, i.e. 4x4, Crew Cab, Laramie Limited, etc. Then under "HIGHLIGHTS" click on "Dimensions and Capacities"

Hope this helps!
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's settled, new 2012 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4x4 well-equipped and set up for towing including factory brake controller that works nicely and displays on dashboard info center. Also displays eng, oil, trans temps, oil press, tire pressures, and fuel/mileage info.

Was looking for a SUV but at $24k this is a relative bargain, and it feels like a lot more fun.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9191.jpg
Views:	2446
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	169677
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
1975 31' Sovereign
Okotoks , Alberta
I have the 2010 crew cab 5.7 ft box. E rated 35" tires, 3.92 axle.
It works great, the truck has trailer sway control built in to the electronic stability program so you don't need any additional sway control, and believe me it does work! I have never felt any trailer sway towing anything from a snowmobile trailer, 19 ft single axle ,22ft tandem, 31ft "box camper" or my current 31ft 75 sovereign.
Okotoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Graford , Texas
2012 Ram with AS

I have a 2012 4X4 Ram with Hemi 5.7, factory trailer brakes much as you describe. I towed my 31 Ft. Excella from Ft. Worth, TX to Wisconsin and back last July. Lots of hills, no mountains, 11 MPG on plus gas. I did go to a Hensley hitch upon my return and it tows alot better. Hitching up to the Hensley is a pain. I'm hoping to get better at it.

The Hemi has lots of power (395HP), and handled the load well. I have purchased some KYB Mono shocks. They handled much better on my previous Ram truck with the heavy load.

The diesel is a step up in power, but I'm not sure you need that brute torque with an AS. It can make for a rough ride for the trailer and the cost of diesel fuel just scares me off. A side note: my hemi got 18 MPG the first tank of gas and is still consistently 16 - 18 MPG at highway speeds with no trailer of course.

Tags