Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 22
1975 31' Sovereign
Okotoks , Alberta
I have the 2010 crew cab 5.7 ft box. E rated 35" tires, 3.92 axle.
It works great, the truck has trailer sway control built in to the electronic stability program so you don't need any additional sway control, and believe me it does work! I have never felt any trailer sway towing anything from a snowmobile trailer, 19 ft single axle ,22ft tandem, 31ft "box camper" or my current 31ft 75 sovereign.

Okotoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1999 30' Excella 1000
Graford , Texas
2012 Ram with AS

I have a 2012 4X4 Ram with Hemi 5.7, factory trailer brakes much as you describe. I towed my 31 Ft. Excella from Ft. Worth, TX to Wisconsin and back last July. Lots of hills, no mountains, 11 MPG on plus gas. I did go to a Hensley hitch upon my return and it tows alot better. Hitching up to the Hensley is a pain. I'm hoping to get better at it.

The Hemi has lots of power (395HP), and handled the load well. I have purchased some KYB Mono shocks. They handled much better on my previous Ram truck with the heavy load.

The diesel is a step up in power, but I'm not sure you need that brute torque with an AS. It can make for a rough ride for the trailer and the cost of diesel fuel just scares me off. A side note: my hemi got 18 MPG the first tank of gas and is still consistently 16 - 18 MPG at highway speeds with no trailer of course.

Skip Dent
Hawk43 is offline   Reply With Quote