Old 05-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
I agree.

The EcoDiesel has plenty of pulling power, the issue is the payload capacity (especially after you account for the extra weight of a more loaded option package...)

-evan

Old 05-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The Tradesman model is available with the Ecodiesel, 8-speed transmission, and a choice of differential gears to pull any Airstream anywhere. We looked at them, basic trucks with the highest payload rating of the 1500 line and a great value.

Great fuel economy as well but like any diesel it takes a lot of trouble-free miles to recover the initial extra cost of the engine and routine maintenance.

cheryl

Old 05-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #17
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Idea: Take a test drive in the truck you're most interested in and get it on some scales to see what it actually weighs with a couple of people and a full tank of gas. I'm pretty confident your actual payload capacity will be significantly lower than they have led you to believe - regardless of what fuel the truck burns.

That said, we just returned from a very successful cross-country trip towing our Int'l Signature 27FB with our 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie gasser configured for max towing. It had sufficient power for pulling up and then controlling down hill runs on long 6-8% grades. We love our truck.

However, we carefully manage the weight in our truck and forward of the TT axles because of the load capacity question. We made things worse by putting a cap on our truck before we realized how close we were cutting it on load capacity. It all seems to be working out OK, but probably best not to repeat our mistake, as our Airstream puts at least 15% of its weight on the tongue. Your dealers will likely under-estimate that weight. Ours certainly did. So, we don't have a generator or cast-iron grill, we keep the forward storage compartment, accessible via the hatch, as light as we can and after every trip we re-assess to see what else we could leave home next time. So far, so good.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
The Tradesman model is available with the Ecodiesel, 8-speed transmission, and a choice of differential gears to pull any Airstream anywhere. We looked at them, basic trucks with the highest payload rating of the 1500 line and a great value.

Great fuel economy as well but like any diesel it takes a lot of trouble-free miles to recover the initial extra cost of the engine and routine maintenance.

cheryl
If you live in Canada and pay $1.20 to $1.50 / litre (or $4.55 to $5.68 / US gallon) for fuel those fuel costs are recouped much more quickly. By approximately 50,000 km or 30,000 miles or so you will have broken even....from then on, it's pulling ahead for total outlay costs. That's of course assuming that Diesel and Regular gas are approximately the same cost (not always the case though). You also have to factor in the cost of DEF, higher oil change, filter costs etc. Resale value is probably higher on the Diesel so maybe you reach break even earlier than that. ???

If the bulk of a vehicle's driving is towing, it's no-brainer; but, many of us are still tied to jobs and other commitments that have us driving short distances around town...Diesels don't like being half warmed up and shut down for short hauls.

Not an easy equation to work out.

I'm thinking that I will just stick with my just fine 2010 F-150 and try not to think about the fuel economy too much when I'm towing.

Contentment is an elusive state. I'm occasionally there.

-evan
Old 05-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflash44 View Post
Ok so this would buy me back another ~300 pounds since I'm using the average tongue weight of north of 1000 pounds..?
A wd hitch does not change the tongue weight as it just distributes the load to the tv front axels and the tt axels .The tongue weight is still there and remains constant.
Read up on the subject as it simple physics but can be confusing.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I am so glad I have a dodge with a 6.7 as it don't matter where we are going or how much weight we will be carrying, we just go,my mileage seems to be constantly at 12 mpg,our fuel is now at 2.75$/ gal.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
If you dig deeper on the Dodge website, a ecodiesel Laramie has just 699 lbs of payload after accounting for the driver and a passenger. That's just too little payload to be useful for much at all.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:58 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
If you dig deeper on the Dodge website, a ecodiesel Laramie has just 699 lbs of payload after accounting for the driver and a passenger. That's just too little payload to be useful for much at all.

Depends on how one travels. And the limits are the tire/axle/wheel rating. Between putative "payload" and actual limits is an area one can work with. Easily, if one is only vacationing on and off through the year.

And our trailer type is NOT described by the way those "ratings" are arrived at. Weight is not the problem in getting down the road, but air resistance.

I agree on weighing the solo vehicle with full fuel and driver plus gear permanently aboard. It's the thing I do on the day I buy a vehicle. It is the adjusted empty weight from the published figure. Where calculations start.

Same for buying a SHERLINE weight gauge to measure ball mass. One can take it along to a trailer being considered for purchase.

Where most folks fall down is in setting the hitch. Have neither the patience or discipline to get it right. And there is little help in the outer world to correct the bad assumptions in that effort. Easy to understand why they give up and buy a bigger tow vehicle.

A pickup isn't the default tow vehicle choice. A car is. And then a minivan or SUV. A pickup is at the bottom of the list. So get THIS bad assumption out of the way first.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Call me old school but was raised with the understanding that 1/2 hp per cubic inch was the limit to see the longest life from a diesel.. I know so many newer diesels are pushing the 1hp/cu.in. and getting away with it.. But for how long is my reply.. A 1/2 ton running around empty,, using only 20% of the engines output will get great MPG,, and can tow items of need.. But when your talking a loaded down 27 foot trailer with gear,, a 35 mph head wind for 600 miles it starts to tax a smaller engine real hard.

Running any engine above 70% rated load will eat away of its life.. Even industrial engines are rated at a 70% continuous load as the maximum constant use.. Any engine will pull 100% for a minute or so,, might handle it fine for 5 minutes.. But throw the turbo fire too it for hours on end the pressures and heat carry a long term toll.

I have had both, gas and diesels.. 1/2 tons to 1.5 tons.. The last pu I got was a 1/2 ton with the gasser hemi.. It does real well pulling our 27 foot Overlander till we get above 8000 feet. Then and only then do I miss my Cummins. The first few years I drove by fuel stations with diesel fuel $0.80 a gallon higher than unleaded gas added to my joy of running a gasser.. Over all for the price savings of not getting a diesel,, and the power I have on tap below 8000 feet we have gotten along just fine..

If your just planning on pulling your trailer to the local lake 40 miles on mostly flat roads you would be ok.. But trying to pull the big hill west of Denver over the pass at speed would be asking too much for too long I fear.

My hemi with 3.92 gears is rated at 10,000 trailer with just enough left over to pack our 1200lb. Yamaha Rhino in the back end.. Just at the limits all around. I can pull about any hill with over drive but mostly shift down to 4th as its direct and just passes the power without spinning any gears.. That and it allows the engine to get the upper leg on the demand and pull 55% power and not 99% lugging over drive.

Like i said,, old school,, but it has worked for me just fine 60+ years.

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel for 27FB--Advice and Calculation Help

Today's motors and transmissions really are a change. Computer controlled fuel and mechanical timing make things possible not possible before, Sodbust. I do agree about engine load. But many if not most of these folks are going to trade that vehicle before drivetrain life affects them.

If rather be headed up Raton with one of these than one of the choked gasser big blocks of the mid 1970s. From 1973 to 1987 there weren't any "great" drive trains out there. Not like there had been in the 1960s with higher quality gasoline (not just higher octane) and high compression engines.

An eight speed and one of these CGI block motors are a revelation, IMO.

I just don't want their complexity. My early HPCR Cummins is bad enough.

No, I say it's the porky weight these Airstreams have attained. Still stuck in the past, larding on the weight like a mid Seventies Buick Electra. No excuse for it outside of profit versus responsible engineering.

A '67 LeSabre would roast it's ten year younger counterpart in acceleration and fuel economy. Bring it up to date with tires, shocks, and steering with the younger car and it was no contest at all.

Some of the same can be said for this product.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #25
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
And that's why I have the Hemi. The ecodiesel weights a lot and kills the payload about as much as a Laramie.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #26
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
I'll take diesel power over payload

Although I wouldn't entirely discount payload, I'm not afraid to exceed it a little when towing about 3,000 miles a year. If I were towing weekly as a fulltimer, I would probably get a diesel powered 3/4T pickup.

I read this article today. Old article, but new to me.
Ram Tough Dilemma: Hemi vs. EcoDiesel

I especially liked this-

"Although the Hemi is a perfectly acceptable tow companion, from the seat-of-the-pants view, it feels like there’s less degradation of performance when towing or hauling with the EcoDiesel than with the Hemi. The EcoDiesel feels happy hauling a load, whereas the Hemi is happier hauling ass."

I've never towed with a HEMI, so I can't say anything about it. But I can say that my EcoDiesel will tow my Airstream 75MPH against a 15MPH headwind without any problem. It burns the diesel at a fast rate, but it isn't lacking power.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel for 27FB--Advice and Calculation Help

It's the high compression. Higher relative cylinder pressure. Flattens hills.

I could match my speed to a gas powered truck via GPS and over time (faster in rolling terrain) eventually have to pass the other truck.

Even in big trucks, I pass other vehicles all the time due to this effect.

Might take a very long time, but the more the road rises and falls on otherwise level terrain, the more quickly I have to pass.

The difference is .75 mph or thereabouts over a good distance. It's almost always more than .5 mph

It's why economy is higher. Turbocharging and electronic controls make it a constant.

And why I tell those NOT using cruise control in a TD to simply drop travel speed set by 2-mph. The travel time will be the same, but fuel economy higher and driver more rested.

Let the truck run the truck. The driver is there to steer and brake. Only.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
There's too much marketing in that article for me to consider it unbiased.

The references to the "sound" of the engines tells me it's a teeny-bopper mentality author. If you want to buy a vehicle for sound... then spend the money on a quality stereo.

I have experienced both diesel and gasoline powered pickups and after 30 years have settled on gasoline as the preferable power in 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickups for several reasons.
The longevity claims of diesel have not proven out in my experience. And when they fail... they're very expensive to fix. Gasoline repair is easily and commonly available virtually everywhere and in many cases, I can handle it myself. The fuel price difference negates the mpg claims., and the availability of fuel is much better in all locales for gasoline. The gasoline engine also has better response to changing road conditions.
And I'm not a fan of the diesel noise any more than I am of the guy next door running his contractor generator all night.

I would endorse the Ram 1500 in gasoline with a 3.92 axle. I think you'll be very pleased in both short and long-run.

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags