Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Raise Hitch Ball

Just got my new axles from Colin Hyde installed. I chose the 32 deg version.

Now I need to raise the hitch ball at least one inch to match trailer. Took out the two big bolts and nothing will move. Put my bottle jack under neath but, will not move. It is lifting the truck. I hate to take to a shop and use a hydraulic press to make such a simple adjustment??? Anyone had a similar situation??? My hitch is an Easy, 16 years old. It has four predrilled holes and I am on lower end of the adjustment range. Guess I need a bigger hammer!!!
Wingfoot321
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Depending on how long those big parts have been bolted together, you may have developed more than enough rust on the mating surfaces to hold it together like it is welded.

I'd try spraying it down with some good penetrating oil, letting it soak in, and do it again several times to let the oil get in between the mating surfaces. Then I'd try a big pry bar and see if you can wedge it in between the parts and pry them apart. I'd leave the assembly in the hitch receiver to give support for this operation.

Failing that, time for a big hydraulic press...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Easy?
How about "EAZ-lift" weight distribution hitch?
In any case, if you removed the two 3/4" bolts, there's nothing else holding the ball assembly on the shank except maybe rust.
Try a crowbar (or long screwdriver) in the gap between the ball assembly and the shank and pry it apart.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Do try to avoid the temptation to beat on it vigorously with ever-bigger hammers. I know it's SUPER tempting, but you are more likely to bend, break, or mushroom something, glance off it and hit something shiny and expensive, or possibly damage your own body...been there. And trust me, I have one heck of a hammer collection.

Keep repeatedly soaking it in penetrating oil over a couple days and see if it works loose.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
By design it is a snug fit. I adjusted my Equalizer yesterday, had to use a sledge and GENTLY tap it into position.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Raise Hitch

Good news,

The PB Blaster finally did the job. I sprayed it for 4days and it broke loose. I kept using a hyd jack which was lifting the truck up on the springs until it moved. The hitch ball was a tight fit on the shank so it took the jack plus a rubber hammer to finally position for the bolts. Now to a level parking lot to check things. Colin thought I would get 1.5" from the new axles. I went one bolt hole higher. Should be close.

Wingfoot
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Good to hear you got it adjusted without the use of real force:

I think you may need one of these, just in case something or someone is being extraordinarily difficult...

https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/kt...mail_103958255

Too bad it's just molded plastic...and they don't supply the appropriate fuel for the assist unit...I'd want one, but it would have to be real, and fully operational. (Why is the Jackie Gleason/Honeymooners TV Show line, "To the moon, Alice!" echoing in my mind right now?)
Old 02-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #8
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Hot Water

For what its worth, I have had success making similar assemblies come apart by pouring boiling water on them. Examples are brake disk rotors, lawn mower engine parts, etc. The hot water causes the metal to expand and break the bond between the parts. I prefer this to using a torch because of the fire hazard and extreme high heat of a torch.

Glad the penetrating oil worked for you !
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote