Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Quick question

I have a 2010 f150 crew cab truck rated to pull 9100#. We just purchased a 23 ft flying cloud, @ 5000#. I have to back the trailer up a 10 degree incline to get the trailer inside my shop, where it will be stored when not used. The distance is only about 15 ft. Would anyone worry about blowing the transmission up? Only 2 wheel drive. Thanks in advance, Mike
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Mike, I have a similar driveway but it's much longer (and curves). So far no issue for my 2004 1500 Suburban 4x4 and my trailer is a 23' Int'l. You have a much newer truck, which is in your favor.

Good luck,
John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I would worry about digging the rear bumper into the drive starting up a 10% grade while the truck is still on the flat. I would drop my bars before I tried and might even do some measurements and a drawing to be sure. If the driveway is loose gravel or gets wet, that also could be a problem. I think the 2 wheel drive and truck will handle it.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Thanks, I will try to back into the shop tomorrow. I bought a 9000# winch to bolt to the floor and help pull if I have to. The way the driveway is, i have to make 90 turn, and then 10 ft. up the hill. No issues dragging the trailer or the truck. Thanks again, Mike
Old 07-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
As long as you are not losing traction, I can't see this as a problem. Maybe challenging, but not destructive to truck and trailer.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Well that went about as well as could be hoped for. Backed in, didn't hit anything, life is good. Get to take back the winch and straps. Put that towards the new generators that came today. With all of the problems it seems everyone else is having with their AS, I am a little afraid to get it out of the shop! I guess you only hear of the problems most of the time.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Mike

Hello from your neighbor in Tunnel Hill. Welcome to the forums. The wife and I are relatively new to rving. Don't be concerned about the problems that are posted here. Our first trip, which was to the panhandle of FL the air conditioning on the AS did quit and had to be replaced. Back in the winter we traveled down to south Florida spending almost a month on the road. We towed a distance of more than 2,000 miles without any mechanical faiulures on the TV or AS. We are making plans for a fall trip to northen NM and AZ. We will also be returning to south FL again in the winter.
So get out and enjoy your AS!

Steve

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Steve, We are going to take a weekend trip soon to make sure things are working properly. It's taken a while to talk the wife into this type of travel and I hope things go smoothly. Should be fun as long as it's not 100 with no ac. That might be the end.

Mike
Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
Steve, We are going to take a weekend trip soon to make sure things are working properly. It's taken a while to talk the wife into this type of travel and I hope things go smoothly. Should be fun as long as it's not 100 with no ac. That might be the end.

Mike
My neighbor just returned from a weekend at DeSoto State Park on top of Lookout Mountain out from Ft Payne AL. If you go in from downtown Ft Payne, not Menlo, the grade and curves are not an issue. The park has full hookups. Also I have stayed at the KOA in Townsend TN. This is a nice campground on the banks of the Little River close to Cades Code. Also not far from Pidgeon Forge and Gatlinburg and without the traffic.

Hope all goes well.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote