Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
North Little Rock , Arkansas
Questions on towing equipment

Thanks for those who have given some helpful direction on my new member post regarding the prospect of towing my Father and Step-Mother's '69 Airstream Overlander.

I still haven't seen the trailer - and am hoping that maybe it already has sway control gear... but just in case it doesn't, I'm shopping around looking at options. I'm also getting ready to order a brake controller.

So - First - Brake Controller

I've been looking at Tekonsha Prodigy controllers, but am open-minded, especially since I don't have plans to tow this rig very often at all. Add to that, my budget is pretty small.

I stumbled on to the Husky Quest brake controller - it is an accelerometer-based proportional brake controller. The scant reviews I have found have been good - and a search here turned up nothing. Anyone know anything about this controller? http://www.huskytow.com/FTP/PDF/H-2-A_ELECTRICAL.pdf

Sway Control (assuming the AS doesn't have one with it):
Lindon Hitch Inc Equal-i-zer Hitch 6000# Trunnion 2-POINT 90-00-0600

Is this a reasonable set-up?

And one additional - because of the cost of a sway control and/or WD hitch - is there anything to look out for if I find a used one locally? Things to be cautious of, or brands/designs/models to stay away from?
Batt4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I believe the equal-i-zer is a poor value for its price especially if you are planning on installing it yourself. They are difficult to set up, and one of their main strengths is their dealer network. I would instead suggest the Reese dual cam.

Be careful of buying used WD/sway control equipment as it is often sold with missing parts and often older units that lack adjustments for ball height are sold so you may end up with something that will not work with your setup without the purchase of new parts that end up driving the total cost over the price of a complete new hitch. Often sellers do not know the weight ratings and any rating and model number decals are missing or unreadable.

I don't know anything about the Husky Brake controllers. The price is certainly right. Be sure you get the wiring harness for your tow vehicle as they are almost impossible to hook up without them on modern trucks.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We have an equalizer, and love it. It's an older unit with a welded head that is not user adjustable. Our son has a blue ox w/d hitch that we are currently using with his sob trailer. It came with easy to understand instructions on how to set it up, and I have used it on 2 trailers now, changing the set up for each one. I have no idea what they cost new though, but it might be another one for you to look at and compare. The one time I did need a replacement part, calling them and getting the part was a painless process.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
North Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Our son has a blue ox w/d hitch that we are currently using with his sob trailer. It came with easy to understand instructions on how to set it up, and I have used it on 2 trailers now, changing the set up for each one. I have no idea what they cost new though, but it might be another one for you to look at and compare.
Chris
It appears to be more expensive than the Equilizer
Batt4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, hitch, sway bar, towing