Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
chalk hill , Pennsylvania
Question about mirrors

Going to pick up my first Airstream ( first large camper also) Saturday. A 2003 28ft Classic. Towing with a 2011 Ram 1500 that doesn't have tow mirrors. Will the standard mirrors be OK or will I need to add extensions? If so, what's the best ones available?
thanks!
Getahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
if you want something easy. I use mirror extensions made by Camco. I got mine at camping world but they have them at wal mart. very easy to put on and take off. They stay on very well. I like them.
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I use the cipa extensions that slide over the stock Dodge mirrors. They vibrate a lot but do give me a much better view to the rear. These and spot mirrors combined eliminate blind spots. I do not remember the part number for the mirrors. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #4
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
You might want to check the regulations/laws on towing where you live, too. I've seen posts here where people have mentioned the specs on how far behind the trailer you need to be able to see a vehicle behind you, with mirrors out far enough to meet that requirement.

By the way, you probably already know this but if you open up the curtains in the ends of the trailer you can see right through the middle of it, too.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Over the years, I've used every kind known to man, but these I like the best of any. Cost more, but you'll only need to buy once. Very nice mirrors and quality, simple universal mounting.

https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...-Products.html

Edit: I had CIPAs, the nylon starp on ones, and they cracked at the feet after 1 year. They also slipped down a lot, especially when rain soaked the straps.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The cipa mirrors allow just enough rear vision to be legal as far as I know. As long as I have towed, I never tried keeping the curtains open to see out the back. I learned something already today and it is early. Thanks Gringo... jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I just figured that out on our first trip, actually. The side mirrors on the F-250 we rented slid out a few inches further, but it still didn't seem nearly far enough. Opening the curtains made huge difference. It took a little practice to see through the smoked plastic on ours in bright daylight, but once I got the hang of it I could see cars and trucks even tucked up right behind the trailer. you learn where to look. It's way easy at night, of course, with their headlights on.

Guess in older trailers before the smoked plastic, it would be a snap. Probably cover you legally, too. The stuff on top of a police car would really shine, yuk yuk...
Old 11-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I highly recommend McKesh Mirrors...they are the best...we can see behind our rig while towing...what a concept! We love ours...easy on, easy off... McKesh Mirrors | Hensley Hitch Towable Products
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
We use McKesh also, with the optional spot mirrors. Excellent visibility and excellent quality.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchance View Post
Going to pick up my first Airstream ( first large camper also) Saturday. A 2003 28ft Classic. Towing with a 2011 Ram 1500 that doesn't have tow mirrors. Will the standard mirrors be OK or will I need to add extensions? If so, what's the best ones available?
thanks!
A while back I was talking to a Dodge dealer about a 1500 truck, and they told me they could install the large towing mirrors on the 1500 truck that come with the 2500, 3/4 ton truck.

Not saying I've used them all, but over the years I've used lots of slip-on, clamp-on type extension mirrors, and I've not found any yet that I was satisfied with.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Does anyone make a replacement, bolt on mirrors for the F-250? I'm not too keen on temporary or strap on's either.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
check out the mirrors on the truck; I just got an 11dodge with the tow pkg. the mirrors on the truck swivel to become tow mirrors. the mirrors are divided in that there is a small section and a large and when rotated the large part is o top. the roration also extends the mirrors out about 6 inches.
haven't towed yet, but they look impressive.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
If you already have power mirrors on your truck, and you’re interest in a more permanent, albeit expensive approach, I recommend powermirrors.com. My Yukon came with them, but Powervision has large, factory-fit, powered, extendable mirror that work on Dodge products as well. They may have something that is a direct replacement for your truck mirrors. Simply press the button, and they extend, adjust, and retract.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
I'm very sorry, I gave the wrong website. It should have been powervisionmirrors.com
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
We have used the Aero 2 mirrors also and like them a lot.
Mrs. Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
chalk hill , Pennsylvania
I just ordered these

Grand aero mirrors. They look solid. Thanks for all the suggestions. Love the forum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	144939  
Getahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Grand aero mirrors. They look solid. Thanks for all the suggestions. Love the forum!
Let us know how you like them after you've used them at highway speeds on a trip.

My experience with all clamp-on style mirrors is they shake and vibrate in the wind, making them not good, IMHO.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Heads up on the Camco mirrors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc6452 View Post
if you want something easy. I use mirror extensions made by Camco. I got mine at camping world but they have them at wal mart. very easy to put on and take off. They stay on very well. I like them.
Quote:
On your recommendation I bought the Camco mirrors to pick up my new Sport 16 and drive it home almost 100 miles. HORRIBLE MIRRORS. Cleaned all surfaces and dried, as instructed. The drivers mirror just kept sliding all over the vehicle mirror it was suctioned to, until it finally just popped off hitting the side of my jeep. Fortunately the cheap elastic held it dangling to my vehicle (fortunate so I could return it for refund later). The passenger side mirror did stay on most of the trip and finally popped off as I was pulling into my back yard at the end of the trip. It did not line up with my vehicle mirror correctly and since I didn't want to change the angle of my vehicle mirror (which is much larger and easier to view) it did me little good.

I bought them at Walmart and originally thot it was $20 for a pair. They were $20 each! I don't doubt your statement that they work for you, but they seem to be affected by moisture in the air, and dumb luck. I would never count on them. I have since ordered the Grand Aero mirrors for $110, including shipping. I ordered night before last and they are already "out for delivery" to my house. With free shipping I expected them to take weeks to get here. Hopefully these work as well as claimed. I will give feedback when I get them installed. Yes, they are $70 more, but if they work and are well built I don't mind. I never want to drive half-blinded like that again. (The Sport 16 is a full 8 feet wide, wider than some longer AS's).

P.S. gtc6452 I am not blaming you. We all have different experiences and I appreciate your sharing yours. But I did want to give a heads up for others that these mirrors may not work as well for them as yours did for you. I was down near the ocean in the early morning when moisture is high. I'm sure that had an effect.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
thanks!
Since you tow with a truck, you might want to try towing first just with teh stock mirrors.

When we bought our present 2500HD, I paid to have the existing power mirrors taken off (I still have them) and replaced with towing mirrors that you can manually pull out to extend them when towing.

Quite often when we start out to tow, I forget to pull them out, and actually pulling them out in our case usually seems to make so little difference in visibiity that I don't even bother stopping tp pull them out until our next gas stop.

The towing mirrors we have are good and big and split in two halves, each individually adjustable - the upper half is a plane mirror, the lower half is a convex mirror.

One downside I have found with these big towing mirrors is that when looking
to the front side of the truck, left or right, they create a pretty big blind spot.

The first night I had the truck, in a rainstorm and in the dark, I damn near ran over a cyclist walking his bike across the street as I made a right turn - didn't see him at all - totally my fault and very lucky I didn't hit him!

As you can imagine, he gave me quite an earful and all I could do was apologize profusely and listen to all the invective!

Now that I am aware of the potential, I always move my head around as needed when turning in situations like this to ensure no one is hidden in the blind spot created by this big mirrors!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Since you tow with a truck, you might want to try towing first just with teh stock mirrors.

When we bought our present 2500HD, I paid to have the existing power mirrors taken off (I still have them) and replaced with towing mirrors that you can manually pull out to extend them when towing.

One downside I have found with these big towing mirrors is that when looking
to the front side of the truck, left or right, they create a pretty big blind spot.

The first night I had the truck, in a rainstorm and in the dark, I damn near ran over a cyclist walking his bike across the street as I made a right turn - didn't see him at all - totally my fault and very lucky I didn't hit him!

Now that I am aware of the potential, I always move my head around as needed when turning in situations like this to ensure no one is hidden in the blind spot created by this big mirrors!

Brian
Actually your story makes a good point for having both mirrors. My Grand Aeros just arrived and look good. Well built, but light weight. I should get good coverage with my large stock jeep mirrors for close view and these for extended view. And each can be individually adjusted.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote