Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
I have since ordered the Grand Aero mirrors for $110, including shipping. I ordered night before last and they are already "out for delivery" to my house. With free shipping I expected them to take weeks to get here. Hopefully these work as well as claimed.
I think you will like these. I am a towing noob, and I had to go through a learning curve too. My first mirrors were lousy. The Aero was my second pair and I love them. They are truly designed well, made well, and are easy to mount/dismount. They provide a great view of course too.

Good luck!
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy
I think you will like these. I am a towing noob, and I had to go through a learning curve too. My first mirrors were lousy. The Aero was my second pair and I love them. They are truly designed well, made well, and are easy to mount/dismount. They provide a great view of course too.

Good luck!
We tow with the Aero's and they are by far the best of the several we have tried.
Mrs. Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #23

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We also love our Aero's!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #24
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
We have the towing mirrors on our '96 F250, but I wanted more - so I added 4" or 5" truck round convex mirrors underneath the existing ones; they don't block useful view of anything but pavement next to the truck, but they let me see exactly what's next to the truck. This lets me adjust the regular mirrors for the best possible view straight back along the Airstream; the convex ones take care of any stuff to the side.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
CIPA Slip ons

Well, if we were full-timing we'd probably invest in OEM Ford mirrors for the Excursion but since we only trailer a small percentage of the time, I bought slip ons so that can be removed (driving through town with the extensions in tight traffic can cause a mirror hit with others now and then).
I went with the CIPA slip ons. I can see fine behind the trailer and have been through LA at rush hour and never felt as if I couldn't see well enough. Some have complained that these mirrors vibrate too much in the wind but I've ridden a Harley for years so it doesn't really bother me. On a whim I bought a large package of 3M foam ear protectors at OSH and I compressed a few and stuck them in the cracks of the CIPA glass and let them expand. The mirror is more stable now and if the kids start a ruckus in the truck I can reach out and pluck a couple of ear plugs for myself!
See the pictures:

Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIPA1.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	149401   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIPA2.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	149402  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIPA3.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	149403  
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Great Ideas! I have the CIPAs too, and am quite satisfied. Your additions make them that much sweeter.

Philip
PhilipKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Garfield Heights , Ohio
Camco Tow-n-See

I've had these mirrors for years. Easy on and off. Adjusts with power mirrors. Good vibration resistance. Safety strap. Inexpensive.
Sportcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Boise , Idaho
Towing mirrors for mercedes gl320

I am going to pick up my first Airstream, a Classic 27FB, in a few weeks and need to purchase some towing mirrors for this vehicle. Does anyone have a suggestion?
AdamG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #29
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Welcome to the forum, Adam, and congratulations on your purchase. What are you using for a tow vehicle?
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Jammer,

I think he might have some kind of Mercedes. Maybe a GL320. Just guessing.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG01 View Post
I am going to pick up my first Airstream, a Classic 27FB, in a few weeks and need to purchase some towing mirrors for this vehicle. Does anyone have a suggestion?

What kind of tow vehicle will you use?
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Ah, it's probably something other than a Mercedes GL320. But I'm 60% sure it's a Mercedes something.
I think I saw it on the uToob.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5
We also love our Aero's!
I just wanted to share a tip about the Aero's that might save you some grief. As I was driving down the highway last weekend, one of mine flew off and shattered to bits. And I am obsessive about tightening them. I think that you have to be careful because when you open and close the doors it must jar them loose. Always be sure to re-secure them. They are still great mirrors.
Mrs. Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
A while back I was talking to a Dodge dealer about a 1500 truck, and they told me they could install the large towing mirrors on the 1500 truck that come with the 2500, 3/4 ton truck.
Great mirrors! They rotate up for even more view ... the downside is that they are always "out there".
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Boise , Idaho
The tow vehicle is a Mercedes GL320
Old 02-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Mirrors

I posted a thread a while back about a great bargain I found on Amazon for a pair of CIPA slide on mirrors for my Suburban. Advertised as "used but like new" and in fact they were/are new. Got some feedback from folks who prefer other mirrors, that the CIPA mirrors vibrate, are hard to see out of, etc. I wonder if those guys have ever used them. I just returned from a round trip to Florida (1800 miles) and the mirrors worked flawlessly. Absolutely NO vibration. From the driver's mirror I could see the rear running light on the trailer (it was blocked on the passenger side by the awning posts) and as far behind me as my old eyes could see. Not sure how I ever towed without then. Easy on/easy off, look like OEM mirrors and do not impede the folding mirror option on the Suburban.
Personally cannot think of a mirror that would be better. But I suspect someone out there might disagree.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #37
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have both the McKesh and Aero mirrors. Still trying to decide which I like better. The Aero's are much less "fussy" to install, haven't had any issues with stability. The McKesh's are "out there" a little bit further -- which is both a curse and a blessing. Interestingly, I get an "almost" equivalent view with my standard QX56 mirrors -- left side slightly better than right side. Go figure...
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I have both the McKesh and Aero mirrors. Still trying to decide which I like better. The Aero's are much less "fussy" to install, haven't had any issues with stability. The McKesh's are "out there" a little bit further -- which is both a curse and a blessing. Interestingly, I get an "almost" equivalent view with my standard QX56 mirrors -- left side slightly better than right side. Go figure...
I have a new set of the McKesh mirrors for seal in the classifieds section here...used them 1 time...

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Grand Aero review - not so good

I got a set of Grand Aero mirrors for my new rig. The TV is a 2010 GMC Yukon Denali. The TT is a 2013 25FB Flying Cloud.

I'm still using the Grand Aero mirrors, but I am not very happy about them.

1) Attachment: The Yukon mirror shape is flat on the bottom, curved on the top. There is a lot of clearance between the factory mirror and mirror housing on the bottom. There is less clearance on the top and sides. But also, there is chrome trim on the bottom of the housing.
If you clamp the GA mirrors on the bottom, the outer clamp surface does not sit flush because the trim area is thicker than the non-trim area. So the mirrors do not look stable when they are clamped on the bottom.

When the mirrors are clamped on the top, they are clamping to a compound curve shape, and they flex the housing. I don't know if this will be a problem in the long term. The clamps touch the edge of the factory mirror, and the factory mirror drags along the clamp surface when the factory mirror is adjusted. The mirror motor seems strong enough to overcome the drag without straining, but it is not a good situation. Also, vibration from the GA mirrors (they do vibrate to some extent) is transmitted to the factory mirror.

With the clamps positioned several inches apart on the top of the mirror, about half the surface of the GA mirror extends beyond the width of the trailer.

2) Visibility: What I have not seen mentioned about the GA mirrors is, the mirror surface is moderately convex. This is good for seeing who is right along side your rig. But it makes it really hard to see behind the trailer.

If you adjust the GA mirror to give you a wide view of the lane(s) beside you, the outer portion of the mirror is looking out at an angle. The portion looking straight back is the near edge, and that edge is only seeing the front of the trailer.

What I have done is to add a stick-on convex mirror to the GA mirrors, and adjust them so that the outer edge of the GA mirror is aimed down the side of the trailer. This wastes most of the surface of the GA mirror (because it is looking at the front of the trailer) but allows me to see beside me (with the stick-on mirrors) and behind me (with the GA outer edge).

If the GA mirror surface was flat, and it was supplemented by a convex add-on, it would give good visibility.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #40
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Towing Mirrors

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram Mega cab 5.7

I recently bought towing mirrors from Canada Parts Online!!
The parts came from the U.S.A.
I bought both mirrors for $276.00 all inclusive shipped right to my door in Hamilton,ON.
They are electric/ heated remote control mirrors . They swivel up like a transport truck mirror does, when towing is necessary. They do stick out further in regular position however!!
Easy to install!!
After searching the internet this was the best price I could find!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote