Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Pry bar for lift part.

I am looking through all the hardware/lumber yards for that bar that is used to lift the part of the reese hitch into place (where you would hook a chain link) What is that bar called again?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
AIR, I think you are referring to a cheater pipe. Mine ia about 3/4" outer diameter. I would look in the natural gas piping section. That woul give you the thickest wall pipe for levering without bending. Of course they come with an black oil finish, AKA: black pipe, that gets all over. Just wash off with a strong detergent and paint or the like.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Here it's called "handle"

Replacement Lift Brackets with Handle for Reese Weight Distribution Systems Reese Accessories and Parts RP6637
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Lift handle

Normal galvanize water pipe will work as well and not be as dirty. It is also more noticeable so you will not drive off without it. I actually slip a piece of gold anodize thin wall aluminum over it, to make it real nice. Jacking the back of the truck up after the trailer is attached using the electric jack makes it easier to cam up.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I went to Atwoos (one of our hardware places) Found two blackish STEEL pipes - one foot long each...One is 1/2 inch and the other is 3/4. Very in expensive too. One of them is going to work but right now they are laying in the floor board of the truck , and I will try them out tomorrow.
I think we are fixing to leave here in less than a month and heading north,. This will be the first maiden voyage (350 mi.) to a state park to live and work. Part of me is scared about the journey, but the other part of me is confident because I have learned so much that I otherwise wouldn't by being part of the AIR-Forums site. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Glad you found something, that should work.

North bound! Just check the weather.

Have a good trip!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
I use a big rig winch bar that I welded a smaller tube inside of to make for a snug fit.
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
We are headed to Big Hill Lake, that is a Corps of Engineers operation. Hoping that February will be warmer than it should this year. 20 hours a week helping to keep up the picnic areas etc. Minor landscaping. Hot showers nearby, with a smallish town called Cherrryvale five miles away (for gas and food). In trade for a free campsite pad with fifty amp. (I am still wondering if this Airstream will adapt to fifty amp). All this with the option to stay there year round.