Old 08-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
I know this thread has been closed for a while; I thought I'd comment on some of the things I've read because it was my hitch that failed. I would have done so sooner but I just joined this forum a few days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
How do we know that the part with the weld failure wasn't used in some inappropriate manner that caused the damage? Like pulling some big ole honkin truck or trailer out of some ditch. Since it would be almost impossible to prove that the hitch wasn't abused I don't know how you could go back on the manufacturer.
I assure you that there was no misuse or abuse of that hitch... ever. I installed it myself (Mods - Propride 3P 1400 Hitch) after several back-and-forth questions with Sean, and I take good care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
From the photograph it appears to me that the weld was defective. The sheared area of the weld appears to be about 1/8" thick or less, judging from the photograph. The narrative that accompanies the photograph indicates that the hitch failed while towing a travel trailer, near the end of a a 7,000 mile trip.
I drew the same conclusion - defective weld. And it did indeed happen near the end of our trip. After travelling 11,500 km across Canada and back, the failure happened in our own neighbourhood at 30 km/h about 300 metres from home. In other words, the trip was 99.99997% over.

In fact, several days prior while still several hundred kilometres from the end of our trip my wife noticed some cracks in the stinger. I took a look and told her that it was, in my opinion, a defect in the powder coat. All that distance, all those highways with my wife and daughter in the truck... I still get a little weak thinking about how lucky we were and I thank God every time I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
<clip>Most customers believe that when they have a warranty issue they need to make up some sort of story in order to get the part covered by warranty. That isn't the case with me because I cover everything regardless of fault. Very few customers call and take responsibility for what has occurred because they are afraid the warranty claim will be denied.
This wasn't the case with me, because I figured I had a very good read on Sean. I was right. Though I may have been tempted to invent a wild story if he ran his business differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
<clip>

As TG noted eluded to above, I can't tell you what some customers are doing with their hitch. I know this customer so I believe this hitch bar was cold welded and took full responsibility for it. I replaced it and it didn't cost him a dime.
All true. Sean and I talked at length before I ordered my 3P and was talked at length about the installation after I ordered it. When the failure occurred he send me a replacement right away and requested the return of the old hitch; no cost to me at all. I was up and running within a week.

Since then we've put another 7500 km on the rig with no sign of trouble. I inspect the hitch more closely and more often, though.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I have trusted Sean with my family's safety via two ProPride hitches and three Airstream trailers.

Sean is a man of excellent character and high moral value. His design is sound and manufacturing process above par as over the years I have engaged him in various desicussions and opinions.

Great Product, Great Company & Great Owner.

Buy a ProPride, Use your ProPride, Inspect your rig, Enjoy your rig - Live Long & Happy Travels!

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
JDnBeastlet - that has to be a scary experience! I went to your blog link, thanks for posting that.

First - so glad that happened when it did and not in the midst of a highway run. If there had to be a failure like that, you couldn't have been more fortunate.

Second - I believe yours has been the only one so far - I have no idea how many have been put on the road but I've not heard of any other failures. Glad Sean stepped up and dealt with it well and glad your story doesn't stop at that failure but continues on with safe and happy travels.

Any recommendations for inspection points?
Old 08-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
JDnBeastlet - that has to be a scary experience! I went to your blog link, thanks for posting that.

First - so glad that happened when it did and not in the midst of a highway run. If there had to be a failure like that, you couldn't have been more fortunate.

Second - I believe yours has been the only one so far - I have no idea how many have been put on the road but I've not heard of any other failures. Glad Sean stepped up and dealt with it well and glad your story doesn't stop at that failure but continues on with safe and happy travels.

Any recommendations for inspection points?
First - I completely agree with you - that's exactly how I feel.
Second - I haven't heard of any others; a Google search for "ProPride failure" leads back to me. Sean did the right thing (I never expected anything less from him) and we are still very happy with the 3P.

As for inspection points, yes... maintenance too:
  • Inspect the stinger for cracks at the weld joints
  • Inspect all nuts and bolts for tightness
  • Inspect frame bracket lateral alignment
  • Push and pull on the yoke bar from side to side; if there's a clacking noise, tighten the yoke bolt slightly and re-check. Repeat as necessary
  • Grease the zerk fittings (2)
  • Once a year, uncouple the main hitch unit and re-grease the ball. Some folks have installed a zerk fitting on the top of the coupler so they don't have to uncouple; I'm torn because we will have to sell this trailer someday.
  • Every once in a while, pop the covers off the WD jacks and inspect the grease. Mine is still like new.
  • Touch up the paint. Unfortunately there were several chips in the powder coat when we took delivery and we've earned several more on the road. Some sections have flaked and peeled. I keep a small can of black rust paint in the trailer and touch it up as necessary while camping.
I keep in the trailer all the tools necessary to remove the PP from the A-frame. If our camper is ever debilitated during travel and needs towing it's just a matter of minutes to convert it back to a coupler-pull for recovery.

Have I missed anything?
Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I think I will try to break one in normal use too... Just kiddin! Not gonna break.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #20
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
I find it hard to believe anyone would pay that much money for a trailer hitch.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
Ah, here it comes. There's always at least one.

I have my reasons. I've tried explaining them to detractors in the past but I'm done wasting my time justifying the use of my own money.

I'm sure no-one's ever looked at an Airstream, shaken his head and said, "I find it hard to believe anyone would pay that much money for a trailer."
Old 08-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
i said the same thing about a loaf of bread. i get more satisfaction with the ProPride.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #23

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDnBeastlet View Post
Ah, here it comes. There's always at least one.

I have my reasons. I've tried explaining them to detractors in the past but I'm done wasting my time justifying the use of my own money.

I'm sure no-one's ever looked at an Airstream, shaken his head and said, "I find it hard to believe anyone would pay that much money for a trailer."

I agree with you. It seems like that there is always someone that feels compelled to make some inane comment that has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Smile

Quote:
you hit my button...

How much is your life worth..really..if you can afford an Airstream you should make sure you and your family travel safely.

We had a Reese with anti-sway bars that totally failed when they reached there limited ability. The sway bars were never found after the accident. Both trailer and TV were totaled. Reese did not respond. There is a huge difference between Hensley/PP and the rest of the hitches, no comparison. It only takes once. We have NO sway with the Hensley when the semi-s fly past us. No wave. Life is already too short, be safe!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #25
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Guys, LFC shore seems like a nice guy...

Hey, LFC, glad you never experienced this... And, if you do, if you survive, the cost would make sense.

I have survived.. Wasn't with AS but it ruined a few days of my life.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #26
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I've put about 19,000 miles on my ProPride since I put it on my new trailer about 20 months ago. Over those miles I've encountered lots of "situations" and have developed a lot of confidence in its performance as well as my understanding of the best set-up (thanks CAT scales), and through posts here on easy hitch and unhitch techniques. Like all running gear, I check it routinely....very, very carefully at the beginning of a trip and a visual when I fuel stop. If I unhitch then I have hands-on doing that as well as the weight-distribution process. To a degree, I think this routine (very similar to pre-flighting an aircraft) makes sound sense. Obviously, "stuff" happens even. Process engineering and looking at MTBF is essential if a manufacturer is going to be successful. I'm a lot more concerned about the idiots on the road (like the jerk who rear ended my trailer on I-81 last month) than I am my ProPride. A lot more.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #27
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
I've pulled two different Airstreams with two different tow vehicles in some severe wind conditions and at speeds approaching 80 mph on the open road (in calm conditions) and never had so much as wiggle out of either one with a $250 Reese hitch....
Old 08-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #28
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I agree with you. It seems like that there is always someone that feels compelled to make some inane comment that has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Brian
And there are always going to be people that figure the more money they throw at something the better it is.