Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
ProPride question from newbie

Taking delivery on 2015 FC 28RB in March. TV is 2015 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax 4X4, Class 5 hitch. Thinking about ProPride WD hitch. Two questions: Can you back up with bars in place? Are 1,000 lb bars right configuration? OK, third question: are there any other things I should consider before calling Sean at ProPride to order in Jan.? Thanks for help and Merry Christmas all. Ron

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You most certainly can back up with the bars in place, just don't try too severe of an angle. Saw some damage pictures on a thread a while back with someone who tried 90 degrees or so.
Ask Sean about the size bars...he has all the best answers.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Actually the hitch head as well as the w.d. bars stay bolted to the trailer tongue all the time. And the extra length will allow your truck's tail gate to lower while hitched up. Backing is no problem, you can jackknife it like any other hitch if turned too tight.

There is a learning curve for some hitching because the stinger must be aligned so it goes directly into the head, no angle. Learn that quickly and you will love it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I just towed my new 30' bunkhouse with a diesel Excursion. There's a lot of talk about the Propride is overkill with the bigger TV's, but I have to tell you, I am very happy with my Propride. Works like a charm, gives me a good piece of mind when out on the highway.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You will be happy to have it. There is no substitute only comparatively inadequate replacements.

Get it dialed in on a certified scale. Get TV tire pressure according to spec. And enjoy.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Hi Ron
I also have a 28' FC and a Propride hitch...... As mentioned earlier the WD bar stay attached to the hitch head that is on the trailer. The only part on the truck is the stinger that fits into your truck receiver. So backing up and into the hitch is not an issue at all.
The first few times you hook and unhook, the process can be a bit strange. But once you get the process dialed in you will be good to go.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Ron, I have the same truck, PP and going from an FC25 to a 2015 Classic.

wo questions: Can you back up with bars in place? YES However make sure that the head gets straightened out before you try to unhook. If it is off to one side or the other the foot of the tongue jack may not clear the tension bars when you try to lower it. Are 1,000 lb bars right configuration? Ask Sean, it will be either the 1000 or 1400 bars. OK, third question: are there any other things I should consider before calling Sean at ProPride to order in Jan.? Order the safety chain and 7 pin electrical extension. You will need them. Thanks for help and Merry Christmas all. Ron
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Sean also sells the Sherline scale. Get the 2k version. Knowing the tongue weight is part of best hitch set up.

Longacre Racing sells calibrated air pressure gauges, another excellent addition to the toolbox.

A quality ft lb torque wrench is also needed.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
All good data above... you can also mount Rock Tamers! I have the whole TV portion laying next to our 34' now.. easy hookup...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
There is no substitute only comparatively inadequate replacements.
Fanboy much?

It is sociologically fascinating how the people who overpaid the most for their setups feel the need to constantly prop themselves up and cut the conclusions of others down. Do you really need to bash the other brands to feel good about your decision to buy your setup?

I can think of a quite a few reasons why your towing solution is inadequate compared to my Equalizer. Both systems do the same thing just in a different way. Where did you get the idea that your way is better? Do you have any facts to support your claim? How are the other systems inadequate? Will you please inform us of the facts that back up your statement? Oh and please feel free to address the physics involved.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question The illusion of facts....

No arguing, no bashing, no 'facts'.... just the experience.

No one can illustrate the advantages of the PPP hitch design on the pages of this or any other Forum.
It's the experience of using that brings the advantages into the light.

The cost factor is determined by the individual....for us it is a worthwhile investment. Taking the cost of the Classic & Burb into consideration the addition of the Hensley was a minor factor.

We all like to think we have the best trailer on the market. I'm sure there are folks out there who would dispute that 'fact'....the same goes for all the choices we make.

I like mine, I'm sure you feel the same. Thats your prerogative.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When a trailer begins to sway it pushes the trailer coupler/hitch ball connection side to side. With a conventional hitch this movement is leveraged forward to the truck's steering axle; sway controls only dampen this movement.

With the Hensley/Propride, the linkage of the hitch projects this side to side movement forward past the ball/coupler to near the truck's rear axle, where the sway is stopped before it can begin. The side to side movement is not felt at the truck's steering axle.

Because of the linkage design, only the truck can steer the trailer out of alignment of the two, the trailer cannot steer the truck. When a semi passes you, the bow wave cannot push the trailer out of alignment with the truck. Gusting strong side winds do not move the trailer out of alignment with the truck. Towing is very safe and comfortable for the driver.

That's my explanation based on experience with conventional and ProPride hitches and how I understand their function.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airrogant View Post
Fanboy much?

It is sociologically fascinating how the people who overpaid the most for their setups feel the need to constantly prop themselves up and cut the conclusions of others down. Do you really need to bash the other brands to feel good about your decision to buy your setup?

I can think of a quite a few reasons why your towing solution is inadequate compared to my Equalizer. Both systems do the same thing just in a different way. Where did you get the idea that your way is better? Do you have any facts to support your claim? How are the other systems inadequate? Will you please inform us of the facts that back up your statement? Oh and please feel free to address the physics involved.

You might read around. Here and on other RV forums. Some threads go to great length in discussion of difference. Or, maybe someone will allow you to drive theirs. I've been pulling travel trailers forty years among other types. I can do -- and have done-- maneuvers with this hitch that at a lower speed would allow trailer rollover with inferior hitches. That would roll any 5'er.

The information you lazily demand is minutes away. Do the homework. Then call Hensley and get one on the 30 day trial.

Maybe you won't have the confidence to do throttle-on 55+ mph violent lane changes from the shoulder to the median and back across the Interstate for nearly a mile as I did in testing my purchase. I wouldn't blame you. It's a lot to risk as the truck could go over with it. I was going to know right away what this hitch could do. And it did what was promised. I could whip the trailer and no more shake it than one can a shadow.

I only wish the eighteen-wheelers I drive were even close to this kind of performance.

You've nothing to lose and a helluva lot to gain.

Good luck
Old 12-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
I brought my AS home from Georgia in early December. I had a WD hitch on my unit and I white knuckled several times as a Tractor/Trailer blew past me. The unit, at one time, almost was sucked into the Tractor as it went past. The backend of my TV slid over by the trailer's reaction.
I bought a HA and I wish I had it on my first trip. I wouldn't have felt the swaying.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
It is ALLL about BRAGGING rights ??? Really? No.

Yes, I bought a ProPride after towing a couple times with EzyLift version of WD and "Sway dampening", not "sway prevention ". Even our 34 with 3 axles was affected by "passing trucks" and their "bow waves".

Did I have to buy the ProPride? No. Would I buy again? Yes!

The handling characteristics are superb in evasive maneuvers. Especially when they are unplanned! The 34 just stays in line behind almost like one vehicle.

Yes, I bought a ProPride! I am still paying it off as I enjoy an increased safety margin, control and minimized risk to others sharing the road.

Now, you will still be "tugged" by passing trucks and swirling winds, but you won't get the slightest "sway" of trailer and TV.

Sway ELIMINATION!!!!! That's the deal!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Taking delivery on 2015 FC 28RB in March. TV is 2015 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax 4X4, Class 5 hitch. Thinking about ProPride WD hitch. Two questions: Can you back up with bars in place? Are 1,000 lb bars right configuration? OK, third question: are there any other things I should consider before calling Sean at ProPride to order in Jan.? Thanks for help and Merry Christmas all. Ron

By now you've had all the answers.

1) yes

2) possibly - call Sean after checking your Chevy manual. My 2013 Chevy 2500 manual basically says I only need 50% FALR. The 1000# bars serve that purpose, but Sean recommended the 1400# bars for me. At first I was bummed that I went with the 1000s but given what I've seen on the scales, I'm happy with my choice.

3) calculate weights carefully and know that the tongue weight going to your receiver will be much higher than the factory published number. Your class 5 receiver will take up to 1500# and odds are good you won't exceed that - but the weight of the PP is considerable and detracts from payload (probably not a big issue with your truck).

There's an unofficial PP user's thread in the forums that is long but well worth the read.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thx for the Chevy FAL percent info along with Sean's recommendation. And your experience.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Third Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
OK, third question: are there any other things I should consider before calling Sean at ProPride to order in Jan.? Thanks for help and Merry Christmas all. Ron

Yes, you might want to consider all the other things you could buy with that high dollar purchase of questionable incremental value.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You have to wonder why folks who have never used a Hensley/ProPride style hitch don't want you to use one either. I got talked out of it twice before we got our ProPride, once by the dealer and once by this forum.

I regret spending the money . . . on those other two hitches.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
My recommendation is buy the Hensley Arrow.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote