Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rossbach View Post

Yes, you might want to consider all the other things you could buy with that high dollar purchase of questionable incremental value.
Dan - How long did you use a ProPride (in what configuration of TV/TT) and what happened in your experience that made it of questionable value to you? What did you switch to and why?

For some, Airstreams are of questionable value. I mean you can get an SOB for much less - or even one of those adorable new Shasta reissues for a third of what you might pay for a 16' Bambi.

But value is absolutely in the eye of the beholder. You can get a bottle of scotch for $20, $100, or $5000 - which is the best value?

I've done countless posts on how important is is to know what you are trying to accomplish and what decision criteria are important to you so no matter what the decision, you know exactly why you are doing it. That is what determines value and everyone's mileage varies....

Even as a ProPride user, I've recommended other hitches (including the Andersen which some here think is the Antichrist of hitches) for consideration based on some of their posted criteria.

There isn't a single silver bullet - there isn't a single "right" hitch for everyone's technical needs, payload capacity, towing scenarios, preferences, budget, etc.

The OP was asking specifically about the ProPride and I'm assuming that with a 2015 truck and a 2015 trailer, the OP may consider the value of the ProPride (amortized over a long life of that new combo) differently than anyone else might.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You have to wonder why folks who have never used a Hensley/ProPride style hitch don't want you to use one either.
This could be its own topic and it clearly goes both ways.... Here's one view:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias
Old 12-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
After doing a bit of observation, I noticed something. Posters who arbitrarily put down things they have not themselves tried are often short time Airforums members who perhaps are used to the type of interaction that are found on many other RV and non RV forums. I suspect that after a bit of time, they will realize that we here try to communicate with respect for each others' opinions whether we agree with them or not. I also suspect that after time, they realize that knowledge and respect for others knowledge are the things that gain the most respect in this environment. Then I'm guessing they change and fit in and we all forget about their previous attitudes, or else they drift off to other forums where they can get a bigger reaction and more attention.

Disclaimer:

I'm not a trained behaviorist, simply an astute analyzer of various types of BS

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
No one can illustrate the advantages of the PPP hitch design on the pages of this or any other Forum.
That's what I figured. Thank you for stating the not-so-obvious so obviously.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Here is a simple version of how pivot point projection hitches work to control sway. (If I understand it correctly) If you look closely at one that is not hitched to the tow vehicle you will note the when the hitch head is moved from side to side, the angle of the face and socket (for the part of the hitch attached to the TV) will rotate to point in the opposite direction to the way you move the head. As I understand it, this will provide an angular force in the direction opposite to the sway. For some reason that I choose to consider as magic because I have never tried to diagram the forces involved, this has the virtual affect of causing the system to act as though the pivot point is much further forward on the TV/TT combination. However it is easy for me to visualize how even the slightest tendency to sway is counteracted by the movement of the hitch in the opposite direction. I'm guessing that this is as good an explanation you are going to get here unless one of the manufacturers comes here and give a more accurate version.

I can attest from experience towing with different types of hitches that this is by a large degree the most sway free hitch I have ever used.

Ken
Old 12-19-2014, 04:17 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You have to wonder why folks who have never used a Hensley/ProPride style hitch don't want you to use one either. I got talked out of it twice before we got our ProPride, once by the dealer and once by this forum.

I regret spending the money . . . on those other two hitches.
“If your happy with what you're using......it's adequate.
If others are unhappy with what you're using......it's not.”
RLC

Airrogant,

You may have unintentionally missed the point.

"It's the experience of using that brings the advantages into the light."

Now eat your lima beans or no desert.

Sweet Streams

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
As for illustrating advantages - this video illustrates how two types of hitch do their job differently. Advantage is in the eye of the beholder.

http://youtu.be/5fdM_gn-CyM
Old 12-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Greetings

What ghaynes755 says is true about backing. You have to get the bars clear of the jack to be able to unhitch so the pivot has to be straightened as do the bars.

I have a 25' with 1000 lb tongue and Sean told me to get the 1400# bars. He explained it as thinking that the bars give adjustability up to their labeled weight. For me, he said that the 1000# would offer no adjustment.

As you can tell we all like the hitches we picked!
Old 12-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
This could be its own topic and it clearly goes both ways.... Here's one view:

Choice-supportive bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well said !

But ... although I have not experienced any sway issues with either of my 25s or 20 connected via another wdh brand, I would really like to experience the P-P hitch for myself ... so many forum members have spoken of the virtues.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Well said !

But ... although I have not experienced any sway issues with either of my 25s or 20 connected via another wdh brand, I would really like to experience the P-P hitch for myself ... so many forum members have spoken of the virtues.
You won't really appreciate a ProPride or Hensley until you get into a situation that would normally scare you with another hitch. . Even in that case you still might not appreciate it, unless you got in that situation knowingly. If you did not intend to get into a scary situation, you probably wouldn't even know you would have been scared without it. Does that clear it up?

Ken
Old 12-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Well said !

Conventional hitches -- dependent on TW and hitch bar tension for antisway -- still only have a few hundred pounds of resistance available. That our TT type is well-designed makes this enough most of the time. But it can be overcome.

The VPP hitches don't need TW to enable resistance force as that is not needed.

I'd ask if someone will let you drive theirs. But it would be even better to follow them through traffic to see how the vehicles are locked together, so to speak. Buy one or not, the "action" of the hitch speaks loudly . . . the harder the lane changes the more impressive it is. The longer and heavier the TT the more impressive. Etc.

Watch how your TT re-centers itself during the completion of a lane change. Vary it up so you've a good idea of the duration of that action. And watch a VPP. There is NO re-center. One has taken the double pendulum of a conventional hitch and reduced it what a 5er or GN experiences: a single pendulum.

There is no substitute.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote