Old 12-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
It is ALLL about BRAGGING rights ??? Really? No.

Yes, I bought a ProPride after towing a couple times with EzyLift version of WD and "Sway dampening", not "sway prevention ". Even our 34 with 3 axles was affected by "passing trucks" and their "bow waves".

Did I have to buy the ProPride? No. Would I buy again? Yes!

The handling characteristics are superb in evasive maneuvers. Especially when they are unplanned! The 34 just stays in line behind almost like one vehicle.

Yes, I bought a ProPride! I am still paying it off as I enjoy an increased safety margin, control and minimized risk to others sharing the road.

Now, you will still be "tugged" by passing trucks and swirling winds, but you won't get the slightest "sway" of trailer and TV.

Sway ELIMINATION!!!!! That's the deal!

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Taking delivery on 2015 FC 28RB in March. TV is 2015 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax 4X4, Class 5 hitch. Thinking about ProPride WD hitch. Two questions: Can you back up with bars in place? Are 1,000 lb bars right configuration? OK, third question: are there any other things I should consider before calling Sean at ProPride to order in Jan.? Thanks for help and Merry Christmas all. Ron

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
By now you've had all the answers.

1) yes

2) possibly - call Sean after checking your Chevy manual. My 2013 Chevy 2500 manual basically says I only need 50% FALR. The 1000# bars serve that purpose, but Sean recommended the 1400# bars for me. At first I was bummed that I went with the 1000s but given what I've seen on the scales, I'm happy with my choice.

3) calculate weights carefully and know that the tongue weight going to your receiver will be much higher than the factory published number. Your class 5 receiver will take up to 1500# and odds are good you won't exceed that - but the weight of the PP is considerable and detracts from payload (probably not a big issue with your truck).

There's an unofficial PP user's thread in the forums that is long but well worth the read.

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Thx for the Chevy FAL percent info along with Sean's recommendation. And your experience.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Third Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
OK, third question: are there any other things I should consider before calling Sean at ProPride to order in Jan.? Thanks for help and Merry Christmas all. Ron

Yes, you might want to consider all the other things you could buy with that high dollar purchase of questionable incremental value.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You have to wonder why folks who have never used a Hensley/ProPride style hitch don't want you to use one either. I got talked out of it twice before we got our ProPride, once by the dealer and once by this forum.

I regret spending the money . . . on those other two hitches.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
My recommendation is buy the Hensley Arrow.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rossbach View Post

Yes, you might want to consider all the other things you could buy with that high dollar purchase of questionable incremental value.
Dan - How long did you use a ProPride (in what configuration of TV/TT) and what happened in your experience that made it of questionable value to you? What did you switch to and why?

For some, Airstreams are of questionable value. I mean you can get an SOB for much less - or even one of those adorable new Shasta reissues for a third of what you might pay for a 16' Bambi.

But value is absolutely in the eye of the beholder. You can get a bottle of scotch for $20, $100, or $5000 - which is the best value?

I've done countless posts on how important is is to know what you are trying to accomplish and what decision criteria are important to you so no matter what the decision, you know exactly why you are doing it. That is what determines value and everyone's mileage varies....

Even as a ProPride user, I've recommended other hitches (including the Andersen which some here think is the Antichrist of hitches) for consideration based on some of their posted criteria.

There isn't a single silver bullet - there isn't a single "right" hitch for everyone's technical needs, payload capacity, towing scenarios, preferences, budget, etc.

The OP was asking specifically about the ProPride and I'm assuming that with a 2015 truck and a 2015 trailer, the OP may consider the value of the ProPride (amortized over a long life of that new combo) differently than anyone else might.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You have to wonder why folks who have never used a Hensley/ProPride style hitch don't want you to use one either.
This could be its own topic and it clearly goes both ways.... Here's one view:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias
Old 12-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #23
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
After doing a bit of observation, I noticed something. Posters who arbitrarily put down things they have not themselves tried are often short time Airforums members who perhaps are used to the type of interaction that are found on many other RV and non RV forums. I suspect that after a bit of time, they will realize that we here try to communicate with respect for each others' opinions whether we agree with them or not. I also suspect that after time, they realize that knowledge and respect for others knowledge are the things that gain the most respect in this environment. Then I'm guessing they change and fit in and we all forget about their previous attitudes, or else they drift off to other forums where they can get a bigger reaction and more attention.

Disclaimer:

I'm not a trained behaviorist, simply an astute analyzer of various types of BS

Ken
Old 12-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
No one can illustrate the advantages of the PPP hitch design on the pages of this or any other Forum.
That's what I figured. Thank you for stating the not-so-obvious so obviously.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #25
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Here is a simple version of how pivot point projection hitches work to control sway. (If I understand it correctly) If you look closely at one that is not hitched to the tow vehicle you will note the when the hitch head is moved from side to side, the angle of the face and socket (for the part of the hitch attached to the TV) will rotate to point in the opposite direction to the way you move the head. As I understand it, this will provide an angular force in the direction opposite to the sway. For some reason that I choose to consider as magic because I have never tried to diagram the forces involved, this has the virtual affect of causing the system to act as though the pivot point is much further forward on the TV/TT combination. However it is easy for me to visualize how even the slightest tendency to sway is counteracted by the movement of the hitch in the opposite direction. I'm guessing that this is as good an explanation you are going to get here unless one of the manufacturers comes here and give a more accurate version.

I can attest from experience towing with different types of hitches that this is by a large degree the most sway free hitch I have ever used.

Ken
Old 12-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You have to wonder why folks who have never used a Hensley/ProPride style hitch don't want you to use one either. I got talked out of it twice before we got our ProPride, once by the dealer and once by this forum.

I regret spending the money . . . on those other two hitches.
ďIf your happy with what you're using......it's adequate.
If others are unhappy with what you're using......it's not.Ē
RLC

Airrogant,

You may have unintentionally missed the point.

"It's the experience of using that brings the advantages into the light."

Now eat your lima beans or no desert.

Sweet Streams

Bob
Old 12-19-2014, 05:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
As for illustrating advantages - this video illustrates how two types of hitch do their job differently. Advantage is in the eye of the beholder.

http://youtu.be/5fdM_gn-CyM
Old 12-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Greetings

What ghaynes755 says is true about backing. You have to get the bars clear of the jack to be able to unhitch so the pivot has to be straightened as do the bars.

I have a 25' with 1000 lb tongue and Sean told me to get the 1400# bars. He explained it as thinking that the bars give adjustability up to their labeled weight. For me, he said that the 1000# would offer no adjustment.

As you can tell we all like the hitches we picked!