Old 03-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #29
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Carver, excellent pics! Nice idea! Thanks!

I have a visual impairment so seeing "level" is not real easy anymore for me. But your visual is excellent!

Peace and blessings...
Channing and Phyllis.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
I am looking for stinger storage ideas.i would prefer to keep the stinger in my F250 bed as opposed to carrying it in and out of the garage when I need it....
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:37 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
I am looking for stinger storage ideas.i would prefer to keep the stinger in my F250 bed as opposed to carrying it in and out of the garage when I need it....
Thanks in advance.
If you're using it fairly often just store it back in the head of the hitch. That's what we do, just pull ahead a foot or so after unhooking the trailer and slide the stinger back into the hitch head. The opposite when hooking up. Same thing when camping, very little lifting involved.

cheryl
Old 05-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #32
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We store ours on the AS. Just leave it connected to the PP as Cheryl said above. We do have the stinger lubricated so we don't have to worry about rusting... or seizing in place..

If you put padlocks in the stinger latches, that will make it harder to steal..
Old 05-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Carlsbad , California
Those a fine ideas, my issue is that due to the slope of my driveway ( another story for sure ) I store at a facility. I do not self park it. Think Airstream Valet Parking. They have one of those heavy duty tractors with their own stinger set up. I think mine would just be in the way.
Maybe I'll just build or find a wooden box and toss in some old oily towel for padding.....
Old 05-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #34
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Those a fine ideas, my issue is that due to the slope of my driveway ( another story for sure ) I store at a facility. I do not self park it. Think Airstream Valet Parking. They have one of those heavy duty tractors with their own stinger set up. I think mine would just be in the way.
Maybe I'll just build or find a wooden box and toss in some old oily towel for padding.....
That is what one member here did. Built a 4 swivel wheel cart with center post to support weight of stinger and Rock Tamers. Then on one end a vertical plywood with a square hole for the stinger or the receiver end. Now just roll the bad boy around. I will try to search up the post.

Here ya go:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ml#post1359592
Old 05-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Doubl, from my lessons learned about 'valet' parking make sure that your insurance company covers your trailer while it is being valeted. I learned the hard way that national General through Good Sam has an exclusion when it is being moved by anyone other than the owner. If the trailer is damaged even at a repair shop they won't pay a dime. So if the 'valet' has no insurance or lots of legalese in their contract that they aren't responsible you may not have any coverage.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
What do you do with the flaps when parked, leave them on truck, trailer are store them away somewhere. They are big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Here is a picture of our Rock Tamers... and the PP..
Old 05-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I installed a pulley near the ceiling of my shop and pull them up and hook the rope to a hook on the wall to hold them in place.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Carlsbad , California
Definitely need to check with insurance. Honesty, I have 0 options. Mt fifth wheel was obviously higher and could navigate the downward slope to the curb and up my driveway. My 27FB will not make it on any angle. So storing at home is out.
I would need an engineering feat to get in and out of the culde de sac driveway. Or 20' steel ramps!. If I had know that the AS wouldn't make it in the driveway, I still would have bought it!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Don, I leave them on the truck with the stinger unless I am going to be parked/camped someplace for more than a few days. Same setup that you have except mine are mounted to the vertical part of the stinger to keep them further back from the exhaust on my GMC Sierra/Duramax. To much heat if they are mounted as you have yours.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #40
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Definitely need to check with insurance. Honesty, I have 0 options. Mt fifth wheel was obviously higher and could navigate the downward slope to the curb and up my driveway. My 27FB will not make it on any angle. So storing at home is out.
I would need an engineering feat to get in and out of the culde de sac driveway. Or 20' steel ramps!. If I had know that the AS wouldn't make it in the driveway, I still would have bought it!
I made ramps out of laminating 2x4's to cover the "re-engineered" driveway approach changed by the all-knowing City OZites
Old 05-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Carlsbad , California
Tell me more....
I am not absolutely sure it looks like I'd have to span 20 feet
Old 05-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #42
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Tell me more....
I am not absolutely sure it looks like I'd have to span 20 feet
Sorry for delay... did not notice your update...

If you look at the pic you will see I have taken 2x4's, drilled 1/4" holes, applied Construction Adhesive to both sides of the 2x4's, pushed together then pulled apart then pushed together.. keep pushing the 'all thread' thru... to keep aligned... then clamp together using the all thread nuts and washers.

After it cures overnight, use a chainsaw to give each end a slope. That makes easy to climb the ramp and fit the slope.

Our triple axle when fully supported, deflects the ramp about 1/4".

I would not have a problem with spanning more than the 8' these cover by using longer boards.

The only limitation is WEIGHT! These weigh close to 60# each. A good workout to launch and recover Mjolnir.

To cross a longer span, you could toss a couple of boards under the low spots. The deflection will stop when it touches them. Of course some of the RV stabilizer squares would work, too.

You could rig where you put more than one together by rigging a way to keep them from sliding left to right.... then place supports under the joint...

Now, the hardest part... actually aligning during the launch and recovery. I pull out until the rear is about 1-2 inches above the ground... or I see the tires starting to leave the ground (depends upon how fast your slope increases. Then align so that the tires land solidly on the outside edge and is supported by 3 of the 2x4 and will angle in the direction you are turning... as you exit, you will have to turn one way or the other.... =) Usually..

Does this make sense?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramps.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	238080