Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Frederick , Maryland
ProPride Hitch & Touareg

I just got a ProPride hitch and am experiencing a fair amount of bounciness on the road. I believe I adjusted the hitch properly but it appears that I need to fine tune it a bit. I would welcome any thoughts on whether tightening or loosening the bars would help reduce the bounce.

Thanks
AirReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
It would help if you told us what model Airstream you are towing with what model Touareg.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Air Ride?
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Wow AirReg...I was about to ask the exact same question. We also have a Touareg with a propride and just towed for the first time this week. I also noticed quite a bit of that bounciness (like the trailer was hopping from one tire to the other and taking the car with it). Any suggestions would really be appreciated!
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Touareg with steel suspension (ordered that way) towed like a dream - air suspension on Cayenne with motorcycle trailer did seem bouncy but never towed Airstrem with the Porsche.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #6

Calgary , Alberta
I was just at the VW dealer looking at a 2014 Touareg as a potential TV and bypassed the sales team to speak with the head of "New Cars". I explained that I wanted to use the Touareg to tow an airstream and he was really hesitant about the idea. He straight up said without me asking, that VW would not warranty and did not recommend it be used with a weight distribution hitch. He said the Touareg, like most modern SUVs has a unibody frame design, and a weight distribution hitch could actually twist the frame. The new units have standard rear suspension, not air suspension. He said the Touareg was rated for 7700 pounds towing, and 770 lbs on the hitch, but wouldn't recommend me towing anything over 22', maybe 23'. He said that would be pushing it as the wheel base is short. He was actually very knowledgable about towing, I believe he use to head up a truck dealership or something. I was actually really impressed with his professionalism, he said he'd love to sell me a car, but not if it wasn't going to work for what I needed. No BS.

Would love to hear what others know. I was really hoping to buy a Touareg to two a 27' international but I just don't think its in the cards. I don't want to twist the frame, or get pulled off the road without the use of a weight distribution hitch. I think I'm going to have to look at a Tundra.

Josh
Jaydub74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydub74 View Post
I was just at the VW dealer looking at a 2014 Touareg as a potential TV and bypassed the sales team to speak with the head of "New Cars". I explained that I wanted to use the Touareg to tow an airstream and he was really hesitant about the idea. He straight up said without me asking, that VW would not warranty and did not recommend it be used with a weight distribution hitch. He said the Touareg, like most modern SUVs has a unibody frame design, and a weight distribution hitch could actually twist the frame. The new units have standard rear suspension, not air suspension. He said the Touareg was rated for 7700 pounds towing, and 770 lbs on the hitch, but wouldn't recommend me towing anything over 22', maybe 23'. He said that would be pushing it as the wheel base is short. He was actually very knowledgable about towing, I believe he use to head up a truck dealership or something. I was actually really impressed with his professionalism, he said he'd love to sell me a car, but not if it wasn't going to work for what I needed. No BS.

Would love to hear what others know. I was really hoping to buy a Touareg to two a 27' international but I just don't think its in the cards. I don't want to twist the frame, or get pulled off the road without the use of a weight distribution hitch. I think I'm going to have to look at a Tundra.

Josh

Hi Josh,
Now would be a good time to talk to somebody that really knows something about towing with a Touareg (Andy at Can Am in London) and also do a search on this forum for additional comments. Many people have thousands of kilometres of successful experience with similar SUVs complete with weight distribution hitches and have not reported any significant issues. Some did report not being comfortable doing it but there has not been a single report of twisted frames. The sales rep did stick exactly to the company line that was written in Germany for European specked vehicles and trailers. He is obliged by his pay check to do this. My experience towing with several Jeeps does not confirm his opinion but rather supports the opposite. Get the Diesel and have a blast. Incidentally, I was in Calgary on Sunday, too bad about the snow storm, make sure you get a 4X4. Jim
Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Oakland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminitus View Post
Wow AirReg...I was about to ask the exact same question. We also have a Touareg with a propride and just towed for the first time this week. I also noticed quite a bit of that bounciness (like the trailer was hopping from one tire to the other and taking the car with it). Any suggestions would really be appreciated!
We tow a 25' Airstream with a MB ML350 Bluetec using a Pro-Pride. We've only towed about 500 miles so far, but on the last trip I noticed some bounciness. We pulled over to the side of the road and I took several turns of tension off the jacks. Problem solved.
Tintini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydub74 View Post

Josh
The people who tow with them, and there are many, tend to like them. A lot. Tons of torque, luxurious and reliable. Built like a tank too.

The reason European manufacturers don't support weight distribution hitches is because they don't understand them - they are illegal in much of Europe, illegal not because of problems with the engineering principles but because of protectionism.

WD hitches are an American invention, in the 1950's European trailer manufacturers lobbied against their import to protect their business from better built, heavier and more luxurious American export trailer. This was at a time when, in some European countries, the speed limit for trailers was 40mph and braked trailers were unheard of.

We're suffering from the repercussions of this decision to this day - as WD hitches are illegal in Europe, it is very difficult for a European car manufacturer to publicly support them, even as they've been proven to be perfectly safe over the last 50 years. That's the real reason behind the story you were given, not engineering concerns. Also, a guy used to selling trucks is probably not the best source of advice on unibody vehicles.

The "the car will twist" line is 100% nonsense. Unibody vehicles are in some ways (not all) even stronger than body on frame vehicles.

To give just one example, a narrow truck frame can twist far easier longitudinally than a unibody vehicle ever would. If you wanted to apply the forces needed to twist a unibody vehicle, you will need more than a trailer - and even then, the first thing to go, before the body, would be the hitch.

Talk to people with real world experience, they'll give you real world information.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #10

Calgary , Alberta
Thanks for all the opinions.
I PM'd Andy at CAMam a few days ago as I had heard he's the go to when it comes to hitches. I have not yet heard back from him, but hopefully soon. If there is an option to get a Touareg setup properly by them I may make the drive to London and have it setup there.

Josh
Jaydub74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The best way to get Andy is to call CanAm. He's busy, busy, busy. Even his own staff can have a hard time getting in touch with him at times.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Jaydub74:

One more "opinion". If you believe the manufacturer ratings do NOT mean anything, ignore the rest of this post...

1) A 27 ft Int. has a tongue weight of 770#. That does not include options/accessories, water in the fresh water tank, and your camping gear. The actual tongue weight could be much more than 770#, which puts you above Touareg's hitch ratings -- you will not have this problem with Tundra.

2) Payload/Axle ratings: With a heavy tongue weight, you are likely to surpass the axle ratings and payload of Touareg (unless may be you travel alone and with a dry camper). Even if you use a weight distribution hitch (which is not recommended by VW) you will be putting more weight on the front axle, and could overload it. With Tundra you have higher payload and axle ratings.

3) Touareg is a much nicer daily driver.

4) Touareg has much better fuel economy. Tundra uses regular fuel gas though, which mitigates the poor fuel economy a bit.

5) Tundra has Toyota reliability. Consumer reports and others are not kind to Touareg when it comes to reliability.

6) Touregs interior is much more luxurious (unless may be you get Tundra 1794 trim)

7) Tundra's long wheelbase helps with trailer stability. Its a pain when it comes to parking though.

I recommend you definitely weigh your setup and take the "success stories" you hear in this forum with a grain of salt. Its human nature to post and brag about towing a large trailer with a small tow vehicle. Its also human nature to NOT post when something goes wrong. One the forum member was kind enough to share his experience setting up a Chrysler 300 as a tow vehicle (which several forum members recommend highly). After weeks of agony, he sold the 300, bought a 3/4 ton Suburban.

Best of luck (from a newbie)
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #13
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Jaydub, you are new to this forum and so I will give you my 2¢ worth. I have owned Touaregs for 10 years. They are phenomenal cars, but quirky. I have been towing Airstreams with them for 7 years and off-road with them in Moab, Ouray and all around the southwest, so I feel I have a fairly good understanding of their capabilities. They handle very well with and without weight distribution when equipped with the air suspension and kept within weight limits (air suspension currently no longer available). The steel sprung models should be run with WD. I owned a 19'AS and towed without WD and only a sway bar and had no problems. However, when loaded with full water (at the tongue) and bikes, I used an equalizer hitch preset before I released the weight on the air suspension Touareg. These vehicles will do fine with AS up to 23'.

Now I have a 25'FB AS and a V10 Touareg. The tongue weight exceeds the published max hitch weight of the Touareg because it has a Hensley hitch attached. I still tow with it on short trips in the four corners when I go boondocking and off-roading. I have learned to transfer weight in loading the trailer and only place a full size spare in the trunk of the car. I also tow with a Ford F150 Ecoboost which allows me more room to carry gear for longer road trips and provides a higher payload and tongue weight capability. However the hitch on the Touareg is much heavier and robust. The Touareg weighs more than the truck, has better brakes and better suspension and handling.

I have been on the Club Touareg and VW Vortex forums for 10 years and have not heard of anyone twisting the hitch off their Touareg. Nor have I heard of any warranty work being refused. But why would anyone offer the information that they are exceeding the towing or payload capacities of their vehicle?

Rostam brings up good points and you have to make decisions based upon your own comfort level. Many here feel that you should not exceed 80% of a vehicles published hitch weight. Others believe the published hitch weight is conservative and only projects 80% of what a vehicle is capable of. The forums are full of opinions with many offered by those who have never towed with a discussed vehicle or trailer. Inevitably you will have to make your own decision because you will end up with a bevy of opinions here. If you plan to get a newer 27' AS plus have a family and lots of stuff to load and transport, you may be happier with a larger vehicle or truck with more payload capacities.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The payload of the Touareg is 1462lbs. Payload for the Tundra is actually less, 1,410 for the double cab (1320 for the crew cab) - you'll run into the very same problems.

If payload is the differentiator that's important to you (it is to me), the Tundra will not solve your problems, despite the impressive towing pictures on Toyota's website.

Now, just as with the Touareg, there are many who swear by towing their Airstreams with the Tundra. Both appear to be capable vehicles, but make no mistake, they are almost identical in specs.

If you really need more weight carrying capability, a F150, perhaps with the Ecoboost engine, might be the better choice. Keep in mind that you'll lose the niceties of the Touareg, like great handling, low centre of gravity, great brakes etc.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
The payload of the Touareg is 1462lbs. Payload for the Tundra is actually less, 1,410 for the double cab (1320 for the crew cab) - you'll run into the very same problems.

If payload is the differentiator that's important to you (it is to me), the Tundra will not solve your problems, despite the impressive towing pictures on Toyota's website.

Now, just as with the Touareg, there are many who swear by towing their Airstreams with the Tundra. Both appear to be capable vehicles, but make no mistake, they are almost identical in specs.
Based on VW USA website, Touraeg V6 TDI has a payload of 1156. Here is the link: Touareg | Volkswagen

Based on Toyota USA website, a Tundra Limited Crewcab, has a payload of 1410. Here is the link: Toyota Tundra Interior, Exterior & Safety Features

You get 254# more of payload with Tundra Limited. If you pick a lower trim Tundra, you get payloads up to 1550. The Touareg I cited is the lowest trim -- you cannot improve on that.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Here is a screen shot of Touareg TDI specs from VW USA website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TDI.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	211453  
Old 05-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #17
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Stop your bickering...you're both right. As with any vehicle or truck the payload changes between engines, models, accessories and years. Touaregs have weight capacities anywhere between 1462 and 1135 lbs. I'm sure a Tundra has a same amount of differences.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Strange - I took mine from the Canadian website, asuming they'd be identical: 2014 Touareg Features & Specs | Volkswagen Canada

Touareg TDi ( a preferred towing vehicle): 1395.53lbs
Touareg Base: 1461.66lbs

No nefariousness intended, promise. But whichever way you wish to skin that cat, the differences are too small to make one vehicle more or less capable than the other.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Mascouche , Quebec
I tow a 25 foot 1998 airstream with a 2010 touareg tdi and a member of the "you tow this with that???" club.

I like the way it tow, powerful, smooth and economical... 17 mpg on my last 7000 km trip.

But my trailer weight is around 5700 lb ready to camping.

It is not a "fill, hitch and go" setup, I travel light and put my stuff with caution in the trailer: light stuff in front of the axel, heavy over or behind the axel. No fresh, gray or black water in the tank. Only one battery on the thong installed as close to the axel I can. I also replaced the two 30 lb propane tank with two 10 lb propane tank. There is nothing in the Touareg except human body... Trunck is empty... Really...

With this I have a thong weight of 600 lb including a Hensley hitch. I use the WD bar of my hitch even if I should probably not... A lot of opinion out there about that... Get a Hensley or a pro pride!!

I would like to need a pickup and then use it as a tow vehicle... Believe me! But I don't need one and honestly, when I am driving the F250 super duty at my job, it confirm to me that I don't want one a a daily driver...

At 25 feets I am probably at the limit of the Touareg regarding wheel base/trailer length. 27 feet is pushing a bit, especially if your are looking for a newer/heavier unit...

Good luck with your quest!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Buck944 - been there, done that, got the T-Shirt, good post...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote