Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #21

Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Stop your bickering...you're both right. As with any vehicle or truck the payload changes between engines, models, accessories and years. Touaregs have weight capacities anywhere between 1462 and 1135 lbs. I'm sure a Tundra has a same amount of differences.
Thanks again for all the opinions and information.

From a pure payload perspective either vehicle would probably be just fine. The 27' International weights 7600 lbs wet, leaving plenty of room for bodies and a little extra luggage.

I think my issue is one of control and comfort. We'll be taking a year from work to travel Canada and the USA. The TV and TT won't be used weekends only, its got to take us around North America for a year. Up and down mountains etc.

My preference would be to have an SUV, kids in the back seat, dog in hatch area. Safer for the kids, as our 80 lb lab won't launch through the car.

For that same reason, I want to make sure the TT doesn't drag the TV off the road in strong winds, or while being passed by a semi or driving down a mountain. I've seen it happen a few times, and the trip is not worth taking if we don't come back safe. Safety is number one with our family.
Jaydub74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I honestly would not worry about that with an Airstream, especially if you're using a Hensley or Propride hitch. I don't even feel trucks coming by with my setup, which uses a Hensley.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
With any of the German SUVs if you are putting more than the recommended weight on the tongue get it reinforced. If you are using WDH get it reinforced. I took my 2014 ML350 to Andy at CanAm who reinforced the hitch, completely setup (re-configured) the Reese Dual Cam receiver assembly using a new 25' FB he had in stock and installed the brake controller. He also added a friction brake setup but I have not felt the need to use it. I have towed extensively with it including extreme high wind warnings coming back from Phoenix in April without any issues.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #24

richmond , British Columbia
VW head of new cars not knowledgeable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydub74 View Post
I was just at the VW dealer looking at a 2014 Touareg as a potential TV and bypassed the sales team to speak with the head of "New Cars". I explained that I wanted to use the Touareg to tow an airstream and he was really hesitant about the idea. He straight up said without me asking, that VW would not warranty and did not recommend it be used with a weight distribution hitch. He said the Touareg, like most modern SUVs has a unibody frame design, and a weight distribution hitch could actually twist the frame. The new units have standard rear suspension, not air suspension. He said the Touareg was rated for 7700 pounds towing, and 770 lbs on the hitch, but wouldn't recommend me towing anything over 22', maybe 23'. He said that would be pushing it as the wheel base is short. He was actually very knowledgable about towing, I believe he use to head up a truck dealership or something. I was actually really impressed with his professionalism, he said he'd love to sell me a car, but not if it wasn't going to work for what I needed. No BS.

Would love to hear what others know. I was really hoping to buy a Touareg to two a 27' international but I just don't think its in the cards. I don't want to twist the frame, or get pulled off the road without the use of a weight distribution hitch. I think I'm going to have to look at a Tundra.

Josh
all the information I can find on the 2014 Touareg states that the tongue weight is a max 616lbs..and actually looking on the sticker of the hitch shows two weights.. tongue weight of 616lbs and weight distribution hitch weight max of 616lbs.

I wonder how much accurate information you received from the "head of new cars"

I suggest you take a look at this thread:maxing out tow capacity with travel trailer - Page 6 - Club Touareg Forums

included are pics of mods to the touareg by Can Am Rv which increases tongue weight to over 1000lbs (unofficially)
benzer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #25
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Makes you wonder...if they set the towing capacity at 7700# and the European standard is 8% (616#) and the US standard is 10% (770#), perhaps they just don't convert those capacities too well when putting stickers on hitches.

Europeans do not use WD hitches. So how can the capcity be 616# with or without WD?

First generation Touaregs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	212122  

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
When I was looking for my TV I stayed away from the Touareg because the manual specifically states not to use a Weight Distributing Hitch in a couple of places as I remember. While the ML350 hitch still is underrated and needs to be reinforced it does not expressly state not to use WDH. One could argue what the diff but it was just a concern on my end.
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote