Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
2000 30' Excella
Lago Vista , Texas
ProPride/Hensley offroad?

So does anyone have any experience with the ProPride or Hensley hitch offroad? Not necessarily major rock crawling but boon docking down some dirt roads with big twisty ruts? I'm considering purchasing a ProPride but haven't found any info on this. Thank you guys in advance.
ONESICKPUPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
I'm more concerned with my dump valves getting raked off than my ProPride dragging. Worst case (almost) is removing the WD bars to clean dirt. Sewer connections getting raked off would suck. PVC is going to lose every time. At least your hitch is steel.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
2000 30' Excella
Lago Vista , Texas
Ok cool so you can just remove the WD bars like a regular hitch. That was kinda my question simplified I guess. I was going to fab up some skid plates for all the pvc/dump valves and stuff like that.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

Uh, removing the WD bars from a ProPride can be easily done, but it requires the use of tools (a wrench or two) to disconnect them.

My plan is to put lift blocks on the trailer axles, then adjust the stinger to keep things level on the road.

Any WD hitch is going to reduce ground clearance some.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Uh, removing the WD bars from a ProPride can be easily done, but it requires the use of tools (a wrench or two) to disconnect them.
I replaced my hardware with two eye bolts and a pin so I can disengage the bars quickly, I am assuming the other end of the bar will drop out from there.

However, lets be honest, how much off-roading can an Airstream take? Even if you can get it through rough terrain, I am nervous brush and branches will damage the soft aluminum.

So I think the propride can handle offroading to the point the Airstream reaches its limits.

If I was going to do more rough roads and boondock, I would not get an Airstream. I look at all the full timers and wonder why they are in Airstreams. I think I'd go with a Nash.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #6
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
You'd be surprised where an airstream can go if ya take it slow and steady. Somethin those full timers tend to be pretty good at.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

The other end of the bar has a little internal key in a groove that holds the bar end in the socket. Look at the assembly instructions. There is a single bolt holding the bar end in the head IIRC.

Could rig that bolt with something else to make it disconnect easier...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:29 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
2000 30' Excella
Lago Vista , Texas
I talked to someone with Pro Pride earlier on the phone. They said you can pop the WD bars off or, just loosen them up a bit would work fine. The WD bars should slide across the ground pretty good. So then the next thing is the piping/pvc underneath.