Old 05-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
ProPride and towing service

Has anyone with a ProPride ever needed a towing service? How did the service connect to the trailer? How does a tow truck attempt to connect, in any event?
I am just pondering whether the towing service in my AAA or RV insurance is really good for anything other than the truck....
Larry

Old 05-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
You can fabricate a 'faux' receiver hitch with a ball lock. Basically take a receiver tube and add a locking ball to it. A hardware store that has square 2" receivers and replacement ball locks is where you might find. Ball lock is bolted to the receiver tube, stinger mounted into the PP head like normal and the truck end goes into your adapter. I've posted a photo of the one I made on the forums someplace.

Only other option is to remove the PP head. Not really that hard. But certainly more work.

ProPride
NōVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Nothing to worry about. This is what you need to tell the operator:

"I need a tow truck with a 2 by 2 receiver and a wheel lift. I will supply the hitch hardware. The truck needs to be able to brake a 8000 lbs (insert your weight here) trailer."

The tow company knows what the above means. They will use your stinger to tow you. The lift will raise your Airstream to the correct level.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

That is indeed helpful, thanks
Larry
Old 05-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
That is great info! Thanks!
Old 05-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Good info & pic Andreas, Thanx #2

Larry, we have AAA in SoCal too, but haven't used it (yet) for the trailer.

I would think that a tow truck with a 2" receiver on the pumper with the wheel lift up would also fit the stinger.

I was going to say that when I leave the trailer at the trailer shop for wheels/brakes work, I just leave them an appropriate drop stinger for our Hensley Cub to fit their truck or forklift equipped with a 2" stinger - so that would work for the AAA service trucks as well - if 2" receiver equipped.

You may have the adjustable PP stinger, so one fits all in that case.

Another option if the trailer isn't too long, would be a flatbed tow truck with a sturdy wheeled dolly on your jack, but they'd have to watch the height of the AS + AC on top of the truck once up on the ramp/flatbed.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I cannot believe the jack could handle that kind of abuse so I think the best advice is above. It makes me think the towing coverage has some value although most scenarios that would require a tow of the trailer would render the wheels or axles inop, I would think.

Larry
Old 05-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
It makes me think the towing coverage has some value although most scenarios that would require a tow of the trailer would render the wheels or axles inop, I would think.

Larry
I had a situation last year, where the alternator of our tow vehicle was broken. CAA towed the trailer from Long Point Provincial Park to CanAm for safekeeping (120km) using the setup above and the tow vehicle to the garage of my choice in Toronto (280km) for a new alternator. My annual membership is $65, money well spent on that occasion alone.

My coverage doesn't specify that trailer and TV need to end up at the same destination.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

I need to check that for mine, but my trailer coverage covers the trailer for sure and I could use my AAA for the truck.

Larry
Old 05-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #10
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I need to check that for mine, but my trailer coverage covers the trailer for sure and I could use my AAA for the truck.

Larry
Hey Larry,

Our AAA SoCal membership has the extra rider for RV/Trailer/Motorcycle services, & I'm pretty sure it's available nationally, so you don't need it from another party.

You don't say if yours is with AAA or a 3rd party like Good Sam.

Also, the tongue jact to which I was referring to haul up on the flatbed would be an HD one & using the twin wheel pneumatic tire jack wheels - I'd seen it done at one of our vintage trailer rallies.

Another option that I used at home & campsites for repositioning, is a short 2" square receiver as an adapter welded to a bolt same size/threading as the ball & screwed into one of those 1000# capacity hand dollies sold everywhere. You'll also have to add full welded nut to the top of the dolly's vertical tube to carry the weight of the adapter's bolt, since a typical ball is supported on its flange at the top plate, & not on the threaded shaft itself.

Then the stinger can be inserted into the receiver adapter & hitch pinned or bolted & then the trailer can be steered as it's winched up the flatbed. They did that with a super antique 1920's trailer a guy was showing at Pismo last year.

If you carry it with you in the TV, then it can also be used to adjust position or whatever, as well as at home, if your trailer isn't too heavy to move by hand.

I also got an electric Power Mover dolly to move our trailer from the driveway & back into the backyard parking pad for it, which is easier for me than the manual dolly.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:03 PM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Larry, I've chatted with Sean from ProPride, and he is planning to make a ball mount adapter available around the end of this month for emergency situations. He said it will be in his online store.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Why would you buy and carry an extra bit of equipment you're unlikely to use when a wheel lift does the job just fine?