Old 10-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #29
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

>>>>"Proper hitch ball height"<<<<

A level on the A-frame & measure....thats the height you want with WD set.
Get a stinger that is about an inch lower than that measurement, WD should get you back to level....a bit lower is better than a bit higher.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08257.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	296155  

"I'm a confirmed beginner in just about everything that other folks are expert in...."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisfab View Post
It is normal and advisable for the trailer to be "nose low". First as you start speeding up to cruising speed your trailer will start leveling up (basic physics) the force start moving from downward to rearward..., second you will be more aerodynamic if your trailer is slightly tilted forward , and your car (the rear wheel) will be more grounded resulting in better control.
I disagree with this advice for a MULTI-AXLE TRAILER. I think a tongue low multi-axle trailer is dangerous and may lead to a sway event. I have found literature published by axle manufacturers that state that anything but a level trailer creates an undesirable out of balance load and possibly a dangerous situation.

Slightly tongue low might be OK, and some say desirable, on a SINGLE AXLE TRAILER.

add edit:
http://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defau...).pdf?sfvrsn=8

On page 6 it is stated:
"Trailers equipped with Torflex axels must be towed in a level attitude to insure even loading of the axels. Out-of-level towing results in higher loads being imposed on the axel at the low portion of the frame and less load on the axels(s) at the high end. This uneven load distribution may cause excessive stress concentrations on the frame structure. Uneven loading of non-equalized can also affect the ride characteristics by altering the natural frequency of the structure.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #31
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

I get so lonely when I'm always....rong.

Sweet Streams....

Bob

"I'm a confirmed beginner in just about everything that other folks are expert in...."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I disagree as weight on rear wheel of tow veh. will make front of tv. light causing sway and unstable steering. IMO the ball hgt. that AS specs. is proper then set ball of tow veh. at that hgt. I have and still do over 60 yrs. have always set flat bed trailers and camping trailers level then ball hgt. that measurement, further trailer higher in rear also will cause sway and unstable conditions. AS designs trailer ball hgts. to be level and properly tow if loaded and set up properly. In all those yrs. never had sway or problems, only one time that hitch broke because of faulty design. Totaled 1967 30 ft AS that hitch manf. fully admitted liability and pd huge sum w/out any legal action or threats. plus some perks. If question this check yrs. of manf. and look at ball spec. these yrs.
I totally agree. I didn't mean to suggest that all the weight should be on the rear, sorry if I didn't express myself correctly. My main point is that one needs to consider that a perfectly level trailer will tilt toward the back at speed. if you start with a trailer "slightly" nose low, at speed the trailer will level out. At least that's what I do and I have yet to experience sway problems. That said it may be different for very long trailers such as a 30ft. I have only experience smaller 1 and 2 axis trailer so far.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:29 AM   #33
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisfab View Post
I totally agree. I didn't mean to suggest that all the weight should be on the rear, sorry if I didn't express myself correctly. My main point is that one needs to consider that a perfectly level trailer will tilt toward the back at speed. if you start with a trailer "slightly" nose low, at speed the trailer will level out. At least that's what I do and I have yet to experience sway problems. That said it may be different for very long trailers such as a 30ft. I have only experience smaller 1 and 2 axis trailer so far.
Hi

The degree to which a trailer does or does not "tip" at speed is related to how it is designed aerodynamically. A big rectangular box will do different things than a teardrop. Air flow at front and air flow at the back can be very different. A 1,000 lb trailer is likely to move a bit more than a 10,000 lb trailer if both are the same size. Single axles will tip more than triple axles. Axle location also matters. Given all the variables, it's quite possible to have a trailer noise rise or fall as speed increases.

If the trailer nose *does* rise at speed, that's likely not a good thing. You are pulling weight off the tongue. Ideally you design so that it neither rises or falls. That way handling does not change with speed or with a gust of wind. So, it's not really a "must be that way". It's a design decision. Poorly done, things shove down at speed. Very poorly done they lift up (and you crash).

Bob
Old 10-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #34
La Casita

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Tongue height depends on the specific trailer's tires, axle condition and weight. Keeping it simple: tongue height should be whatever it is with the trailer loaded for travel, unhitched, and level. When hitched with WD engaged, it should be the same or only a fraction of an inch lower. At least that's my opinion.

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote