Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Kerrville , Texas
Professional Trailer Towing

I'm wanting to have my trailer towed to texas. i'd like to talk with anyone who has done this. what company did you use, what was your experience? etc etc

i've gotten a few quotes already and have realized that there are many 'brokers' and only a few companies who actually do the work themselves.

any help/advice much appreciated!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Kerrville , Texas
Come on, folks! surely someone has had to have their trailer towed?!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
I purchased a new 2008 25' Classic in 2010 from a bankrupt dealer in CN. I wanted some changes made by the mothership in OH. Because I live in CA I wanted a reputable firm to pull it from CN to OH. I asked the service manager at the AS service center who they use. I can't remember the name off-hand but they readily gave me the name and number. These are the folks that haul the newly built trailers out to dealers. They did their job and I have no complaints.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Kerrville , Texas
I thought i'd do an update, in case it can help anyone else...
Almost went with RV Transport in IN. Upon deeper digging tho, I determined they are a broker only. (Why would you pay a middleman if you can deal direct? thinks I.)

Have now hired Synergy Transport. They are a Fed Motor Carrier with DOT number, safety record is viewable on the gov website, have active and proper insurance coverage. AND their rate is lower than the broker's (of course.)

The Riveteer will be picked up Thurs and delivered the next day. I will not be there for the delivery, but will give an update asap.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritAtBay View Post
I thought i'd do an update, in case it can help anyone else...
Almost went with RV Transport in IN. Upon deeper digging tho, I determined they are a broker only. (Why would you pay a middleman if you can deal direct? thinks I.)

Have now hired Synergy Transport. They are a Fed Motor Carrier with DOT number, safety record is viewable on the gov website, have active and proper insurance coverage. AND their rate is lower than the broker's (of course.)

The Riveteer will be picked up Thurs and delivered the next day. I will not be there for the delivery, but will give an update asap.
To keep things professional, I would do a walk-around of the trailer before the towing company picks up the trailer. Note any damage, such as large scrapes or dents. Take dated photos of the trailer, so all sides can be viewed in the photos. When the driver drops off the trailer, do the same thing. If there is an extra small scratch or two, I would consider it simply part of life. If, however, the trailer arrives with the awning in several pieces, and the main door hanging by a thread, that is when the insurance should get involved. I currently am in the process of getting a transit-damaged SOB taken care of by the carrier's insurance company. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, that walk around can save all manner of grief.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Kerrville , Texas
Thanks Terry,
That's a great tip, one I'll follow up on.