Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Prepping My Tacoma To Tow a Sport 22FB

Hi,

My Tacoma is a 2013 TRD Sport 4x4 4.0 V6 with 30" tires/wheels.

Factory tow package installed.

I'm guessing I need to change fluids in diffs and tranny at least. Both were filled 2 years 30K miles ago with brand new fluids.

Shocks probably 5 year old stock but never a load. Test as in good condition. Beef those up?

Everything else tip top and spins like a Swiss watch!

I guess the hitch above is an equalizer to balance load and anti-sway as well and I don't need more than that. Been reading about hitches and see that they are one of the hotly debated topics. Dealer is including an Equalizer or a Blue Ox. Good enough to start? Or should I toss that money towards an "upgrade"?

Prodigy brake module also included in sale.

Sure I'm forgetting something hence the post!

Thanks!

Rounder44

aka

Warren
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Check your owners manual for the tranny and differential fluid change out - since you haven't been towing they may not be due for a change. Changing the shocks isn't going to do anything for towing, so if you aren't bouncing down the road unladen you won't have any issue towing. Based on your post, you shouldn't have any issues with your set up - Tacomas are a great truck and good to tow smaller trailers, well built and generally trouble free.
I can't speak to the equalizer hitch - I'm not interested in towing a trailer that requires an equalizer hitch. BTJMO
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
It likely needs, nothing! Those fluids still sound fresh.

Only things to get right is a weight distribution hitch, that is setup correctly with enough WD tension applied. Also, always make sure to have enough (more!) tongue weight than less. Many new to this will assume less is better on the tow vehicle, but having sufficient tongue weight is hugely important to stability.

Having some stuff in the bed will also help keep your tow vehicle stable, even if that may bring you closer to the carrying capacity of the vehicle.

The two are a great match. Get out there and enjoy!
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
The best way to prep a Tacoma to tow a TT is to take it down to the dealership and trade it for a Tundra. For real they are so weak at Hwy speed up any grade or into any wind. You get terrible fuel economy towing as well. Same as a Tundra but at least you have a better platform and the power with the Tundra. So much less stressful. Not trying to be hatin just saying lots come to this conclusion the hard way.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
The best way to prep a Tacoma to tow a TT is to take it down to the dealership and trade it for a Tundra. For real they are so weak at Hwy speed up any grade or into any wind. You get terrible fuel economy towing as well. Same as a Tundra but at least you have a better platform and the power with the Tundra. So much less stressful. Not trying to be hatin just saying lots come to this conclusion the hard way.
If you could TRADE it maybe but the similar package Tundra is close to $50K and I'm not crazy about the new ones.

Not even sure how the Tundra rates with similar in class. I know the Tacoma is THE best in its class by far. Full size and V8 brings up a whole other mindset.

Plus...

I'd be looking at a chuck of change down + Tacoma + big monthly and to get the AS I just about zeroed out the "fun money" where I can easily recover if things go sideways.

Great idea but aint gonna happen!

Thanks,

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
If you could TRADE it maybe but the similar package Tundra is close to $50K and I'm not crazy about the new ones.

Not even sure how the Tundra rates with similar in class. I know the Tacoma is THE best in its class by far. Full size and V8 brings up a whole other mindset.

Plus...

I'd be looking at a chuck of change down + Tacoma + big monthly and to get the AS I just about zeroed out the "fun money" where I can easily recover if things go sideways.

Great idea but aint gonna happen!

Thanks,

R44
Towing the 22FB is within the specs of the Tacoma. The engine only produces 236 HP but 266 fp of torque. Not a bad combination. You won't be able to go 70mph up the Grapevine, but I'll bet you'll be able to keep up with the loaded semi's, which is just fine. You'll probably get 8-10 mpg, but almost all gassers get around that, probably no better than 12mpg at the outside if they're honest (diesels are another thing, they have their own issues - and a lot of them - but I digress). You've got a good rig, go have fun!
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to judge. The two are well matched from a power to weight perspective. Sure, it's not going to be drag racing up hills, but we can all slow down a bit every now and then, and it will certainly do the job.

Just as you know, your own ecodiesel with 240hp does the job fine too. The Tacoma won't be any slower than yours going up hills, and possibly will be faster with a comparable 236hp, and MUCH less weight. Tacoma's are ~4100 lbs, vs your rig at some ~5600lbs. So much more weight to carry in your own setup.

I can already hear all the tq arguments. Irrelevant here as the vehicles are already up to speed, trucking up the hill. Only HP matters here. HP to weight.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I tow a 2007 22 International CCD with a crew cab 4x4 V6, automatic Tacoma TRD and a ProPride hitch system.

It works 'good enough' on the flat, and requires a bit of patience crawling up the Cajon pass (4,230 feet or so). I get 11-12 MPG average, which is about what you can expect.

The main prep I do is have one of the dealer's techs I trust, who also tows with HIS Tacoma go over it, change engine oil and filters, etc, and inspect the brakes, engine, transmission, and running gear with a fine tooth comb. I pay attention to what he tells me needs to be done, and follow his recommendations.

I also make doubly darn sure I do ALL the scheduled maintenance on time and on mileage. There have been times we have needed service after each long trip. So be it!

I make sure to minimize the load in the trailer and truck bed, and properly rig the hitch and weight distribution system for optimal stability and proper weight distribution. Then I go drive very defensively at or below the posted speed limit, and have a reasonable schedule so we don't get a bad case of "Gotta-get-there-itis" and do something stupid in a hurry...

I also let the loaded semi trucks pass me if they want, and flash my headlights when they are clear. Being polite helps, IMHO. Have been helped maneuvering in tight quarters by several truck drivers, and have great respect for them and what they deal with every day.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote