Old 08-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Practising Parking Airstream

I kept wanting to learn how to park the Airstream, and the few times I got to try it with my husband coaching and losing what little patience he had I never got anywhere. So I told him I want to practice parking the trailer. He would just disappear and think I was going to drop the subject. So I called my mother to see if she would come over and help. It's easier to have someone help you hitch up, right?
So anyway, got it hitched which I can do and then started the circles in the back yard with the instructions copied from the manual. Mom directing. First park from left side and then the right. Half hour and it was perfect!!!!
Went out again today and 15 minutes, not perfect, but I did it left and right.
So until I need to drive the truck somewhere, I will continue to practice until I unhitch it.
Hubby says I should never have to back up just always use pull thrus, like life will always give me that perfect pull thru?
So I'm getting the concept, well better at it anyway.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Have been backing trailers for 30 some years business related. I can usually back anything to any spot.
Trying to teach my wife how to help back into a tight space. It is a maddening experience, but after 30 some years of marriage I have patience. The worst part is when she walks out of mirror or widow view. Then the hand signals... I just stop, get out and say "I can't see you".......

WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
It's an acquired skill...keep practicing and you'll be a pro in no time!

It is not good, though, when your helper disappears from your line of sight. I've learned to just stop cold and wait till he re-appears. We could all write a book on trials and tribulations of maintaining an amicable relationship with your partner while backing up trailers! It's always funnier in hind-sight (pun intended) somehow.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
A bit of practice is all you need. Helpers are good but so is a cheap two way radio set (just a few dollars) and losing those signals from line of sight becomes much less important. Of course, confusion will still reign when left and right is confused with the other left and right

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I've learned the "step out of sight and scream" method is the most entertaining from the observer's point of view.
Seriously, something I learned long ago to help backing is to go slow, check the mirrors, and if needed, get out and look.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
When we back in at our house, my wife HAS to leave my sight to be able to check that I'm on the edge of the driveway. Between that and a loud diesel engine, we use handheld radios.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am finding out that sometimes no helper is better than a bad helper. The helper should make sure you don't hit anything and that is it.

I usually take it slow and get out and make sure I am not going to hit anything.

Perry
Old 08-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Most important thing for training a helper is to work out the difference between "Now stop" and "Stop NOW!" Once you get past the whole "left/right" thing, of course.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Personally I think that everyone should learn how to maintain systems, hook up, transport, park and set up solo. What if something happens where you are the only one around and you need to move or park the trailer? You cannot count on someone being around or able to assist and you will just have to do it yourself. I have seen too many boats and trailers where the second part of a couple is nothing more than a passenger and does not have a clue how to operate or maintain the vessel (boat or trailer). Self reliance is a virtue.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Stepping up to the task

On our recent trip to a small campground near Asheville, the park had experienced several extremely heavy down pours which had severely rutted the gravel road. It happend to be raining when we arrived. In an attempt to keep out of the rain, the gate host quickly drew direction on the camp map for me. Of course it was the longest way and the way that would not allow for me to turn the 29' trailer around. Having only my 13 year old daughter with me I was sure I was sunk. She quickly offered to help me back.

Traditionally she is the one who gives directions in this style " ok..... so I think you should come back... to the left.. no I meant the right..... Ok..... so I think you should..... wait... I think you should stop.."

With the heavy down pour I could not leave my window open and it made visibility in the mirrors extremely difficult. She threw on her rain coat and grabbed the two-way radio and proceed to the rear of the trailer. She was very conscience to stay in the view of my mirror switching sides as necessary as the trailer would turn for the road. Her directions could not have been more clear and concise if she had been doing it for years. We were able to back up over 300 yards of a twisting single lane gravel road and into the site, first attempt.

I don't know if it was all the previous stern instructions I had given her about how to direct, the fact that it was raining so hard she wanted to get in the trailer as quickly as possible,or if was purely divine intervention, but no matter which it was she was amazing.

She has mastered backing the tractor with the lift on the back. Now we tackle a trailer. I think we will start with one a little smaller than the AS. By the time she is able to drive, she will be all set.

It is all about opportunity and practice. Keep up the good work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-12-11_16-52-56_824.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	166872  

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Most important thing for training a helper is to work out the difference between "Now stop" and "Stop NOW!" Once you get past the whole "left/right" thing, of course.
If you're using auditory queues rather than hand signals, a good rule is to have no extra words and NO MUMBLING. Loud, clear "STOP" rather than now stop vs. stop now, so any sound on the radio while the rig is in motion is an instruction. LEFT, RIGHT, BACK, SLOW, STOP etc.

Zero Gravitas ó 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto ó 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ó Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If you're using auditory queues rather than hand signals, a good rule is to have no extra words and NO MUMBLING. Loud, clear "STOP" rather than now stop vs. stop now, so any sound on the radio while the rig is in motion is an instruction. LEFT, RIGHT, BACK, SLOW, STOP etc.
I wasn't specifically referring to auditory cues; the same is true for hand signals. The ability to add emphasis for a quick and immediate stop versus easing to a stop may be important.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Your're all great!!!!!!

I like the idea of the radios. I can hitch by myself, but you all know that takes patience getting it there, but I have done it. I was doing it somewhere when my daughter was off visiting and I was left to do the hitching by myself. A fellow camper came in to help me there.
I am practicing by myself. I wait for my husband to be gone then hop in the truck and go to it. Today I didn't do too great but I am sure the more I practice the more understanding I will get.
It also dawned on me this morning that I have my son's truck to use for any errands, so I can keep the truck hitched up longer.
I am impressed with the 300 yard back up. I don't know whether to consider that a dream or a nightmare.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Don't Forget the T-Shirts!

The correct attire is extremely important when one spouse, or partner, is helping the other back into a tight spot:
Helpers T-Shirt Message: Stop Shouting at Me!
Driver's T-Shirt Message: I'M NOT SHOUTING, DAMMIT!

P.S. In case no one has taught you this trick, try this:
Grip the bottom, center of the steering wheel instead of your normal grip.
To move the tail of the trailer right, move the bottom of the steering wheel right.
To move the tail of the trailer left, move the bottom of the steering wheel left.
Small adjustments are better than over-correcting, large adjustments.

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote