Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Wow BessieB! I'm really impressed with you! I'm still working up the courage to try what you are doing. Don't own an Airstream yet but will within the next year. I'm still in the "negotiating period" with my husband to let me drive it and park it once we do get it. I've been married long enough to know that I had to start working on him now before we get the Airstream :-)
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Airstream today, tomorrow the guns

Well Sierra Fun. My husband doesn't like me going out on my own or learning all the important stuff, but I will let him handle the plumbing for sure. But I think it is a guy thing that I shouldn't have to want to learn how to back up and such.
Same thing goes for the guns. This weekend my daughter and I are taking a class on shooting and handling our guns and rifles. You should have seen my husband's reaction when I told him to show us the ammo and the guns that we are to use and which rifle. He was not a happy airstreamer for sure. What do we want to handle a gun or rifle for? Another guy thing I guess. You know that sig is a mighty impressive looking gun? Taking the pistol also.
So trailers and guns, stepping on my hubby's toes.
BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I pretty much insisted my wife should know how to drive the rig as well as I do. Which means - back it into tight spots, make u-turns, hitch and unhitch, everything A to Z. For me, it was a safety precaution.

For some reason, women get a bad rap on this business of backing trailers. It is assumed that it's harder for them to learn to back a trailer than a man. Why, I don't know. But it is not true, of course. Backing a trailer is not difficult. There are only a few things to know in terms of actual technique. Once you know them, you practice them.

We use hand signals only, no talking of any kind. There's simply no need for talking. It only confuses and creates frustration. I can follow my wife's hand signals into any conceivable space a trailer can be backed into. Usually on one try. She knows where to stand, what the signals are, and how the trailer moves relative to the car. That's it - nothing else to learn.

Others have different systems, I am sure. But my system is dead simple.
  • Make sure you can see me (driver) in the mirror. If you can't see me, I can't see you.
  • Always be pointing to where the ARSE END of the trailer needs to go. I'll worry about the TV, you just guide the tail end.
  • The "straight back" sign means the tail end is "centered along the path we want the trailer to lie in."
It works for us every time and we don't wind up making a scene and yelling. Then we can sit back, have an iced tea and listen to OTHER people making a scene! (just kidding).

She is still practicing the driving, and I expect she'll have it down pat very soon.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Yeah, it's not a guy thing. I want my wife to be as capable towing our trailer as I am. You just never know what's going to happen out there. She can handle going forward without a problem, and she had some practice backing up but hasn't done it a lot.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Learning Curve

Hi BessieB! I'm glad I'm not the only one. My husband seems to think that women driving trucks and trailers and shooting guns look like...well...how should I say this...like the kind of women that like to get real friendly with other women

Anyway, glad to hear that some of the men on this thread don't have a problem with it! I'll have to use the safety angle
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
just replying

Tooooo Funny Sierrafun. My daughter may be going for police work plus being young, attractive, and single may make a target of some nasty. Plus if ever I take the trailer on my own, it would be nice to be armed if need be.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Years ago I had a serious illness when camping. We were in a Westy, and the wife hadn't driven it yet. We were way the heck up in the mountains. She had to just jump in and drive a funny type of thing she had never driven. That's when I realized I'd never want that to happen again. And a trailer is a lot more than a Westy.

So, when we got the AS we agreed she'd become an ace driver too. Also it feels more equitable all the way around. I want to know I could catch a few Z's with her driving and not have to keep one eye on the road. Anyone can pull a trailer in a straight line at 60MPH on the Interstate. It's all the REST of it that I want her to know. Mountain driving, rain, tight quarters, gassing.

I have noticed though that not many couples do it this way.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #28
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We indulge in occasional yelling and screaming. It doesn't back up the trailer more efficiently, but psychologists say it is very healthy to release your pent-up emotions.

Maybe for our next remote boondocking site we will bring along a chainsaw to remove any brush, branches, or small trees that get in the way of our backing operation.

(Just kidding, just kidding.)
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
We indulge in occasional yelling and screaming. It doesn't back up the trailer more efficiently, but psychologists say it is very healthy to release your pent-up emotions.

Maybe for our next remote boondocking site we will bring along a chainsaw to remove any brush, branches, or small trees that get in the way of our backing operation.

(Just kidding, just kidding.)
I must be the healthiest SOB around. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I normally park the AS by myself. Here are my rules:
1 Take your time we all had to learn (I am still learning)
2 Walk around the TV and Trailer and survey the sight. I do this more then once.
3 If any one is around break out the lawn chairs and often them a beer. Then tell them there will be free entertainment when I begin to back up.
4 Graciously accept there advice as it is given in good faith. Itt has saved me from hitting a tree or post more then once.
5 If there are many observers and the advice is coming fast and furious pretend
that you are giving a speech and view them all as naked. This will make you smile and take the stress off parking the trailer.
6 Most important is to remember why we are there to have fun and not stress out.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Thumbs up My turn to drive

Well the interesting thing, is when my husband gives into fatigue and needs me to drive, he just doesn't trust me. Because if anything will kill that tiredness, is my just driving. That's why I think it is a "guy thing" and kudos to those who do put trust in us female type to try and conquer.
I liked the advise to survey the site, and I found that is very helpful to understand the obstacles and maybe how tight or how much room there is to maneuver.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Wish my wife would drive when towing. But right now she likes to leave it up to me.. I had her tow the 8ft ATV trailer and back it up. She figured it out. So if she can back up an 8ft trailer a 28ft trailer should be no problem...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #33
The Silver Slipper

2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
Hell I insist that my wife can do everything and I MEAN EVERYTHING here on the farm... Heck she can out shoot me with a pistol BUT I cant bake an apple pie! Proud as hell to have a woman like that! I know should something happen (god forbid) to me, she can pick up the load and get the job done! That's part of being a team... Kay and I are one hell of a team!
BigPineJandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
When I first met my wife we went to a shooting range on a date where she proceeded to show me just how very good she was - she nearly made it to the Olympics for target shooting, but then, by her own admission, discovered boys and stopped training.

Given that's how our relationship started, I don't even want to think about what would happen would I dare to tell her she could not tow our trailer.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote