Old 09-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Limited slip rear ends have been around for a long time. Electronic "auto locking" is an improvement over that. The gotcha is the smarts that makes it lock up. That may or many not always do what you want it to do. A manual locking rear end is a better (cheap) option if you can get it.

Bob
Bob, are you talking about PosiTrac? I've never hear of a manual locking rear end. The is a locked rear end, but only used on race cars (specifically sprint cars)
If you know where you can buy a manual locking rear end, I'd like to know where, and what gear ratios are available...
Thanks
Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
The GM locking diff is great. Its different than a posi. When a locking diff senses 1 wheel spinning it will lock the diff. All this happens under 20mph as it will unlock above 20mph.
It will unlock above 20mph with a bit of left sreering input....just a little and torque release. It will not engage above 20 mph.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickinson View Post
RichW46 - that same trick works on my '41 Ford 9N tractor in the snow - I just stand on the brake for the tire that is spinning and it settles the spin down and both tires pull. 4WD is by far the best for pulling in steep, slick, and / or loose surfaces but to be honest we've only used 4WD one time towing our trailer and that was in a sudden snow storm that was not forecast but I was dumb to be towing in it regardless ...
Too cool, a '41 Ford tractor
I know nothing about tractors but that little trick of pulling on the emergency brake to equalize the rear tires has saved me many, many times.

My 4WD is full time, no switching on / off. I have a low transfer (never used) and locking center differential (never used). I wanted the 4WD on this TV because I was tired of constantly spinning tires when pulling the boat up a wet, mossy boat ramp. I doubt that I would ever need it for the AS.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Bob, are you talking about PosiTrac? I've never hear of a manual locking rear end. The is a locked rear end, but only used on race cars (specifically sprint cars)
If you know where you can buy a manual locking rear end, I'd like to know where, and what gear ratios are available...
Thanks
Larry
Ford trucks have a manual locker. Manual in the sense that you must push a button to engage it. Electro-manual, if you will.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
I had an '07 Yuckon XL and 99% of the time the AWD system worked well. It had an open center and front differential, so when both rear wheels lost all traction, neither of the front wheels would turn.

I pulled my Airstream into my back yard during a downpour and got stuck. In the mud, the locking rear diff insured that both rear wheels would turn, but not enough torque was applied to the fronts to turn them. The grass I was in was saturated and it's possible that a locking center and front would still have not gotten me moving. I unhooked the trailer and tossed some kitty litter under the rear wheels to get out. A few days later I was able to pull the camper out once the yard was dry.

The GM (Eaton G80) locking rear diff is a true mechanical locking diff, not poor man and all and much better than an ABS based limited slip, in my opinion.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
(Have read a number of good comments about the G80. That and IFS make the bigger GM trucks more attractive than competition. If they also featured rack & pinion steering, it'd be the no-brainer buy).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Thanks
Larry
Hi

Head over to your Ford dealer and look at the F series pickup trucks. A manual locking rear end is an option with or without 4WD on the truck. I have it on my 2017 F-250. My guess is that if Ford has it, the other guys may have it as well. For the classic "I need to pull the trailer out of the campsite" stuff it's not a bad option. So far, even on wet muddy grass at the campsite the truck has done fine in 2WD (with no lockup). I have used similar setups on snow and mud in the past. They do help.

The off road boys like the lockup idea a lot. There are kits (and factory setups) that will put them into a variety of vehicles like Jeeps. In some cases they go to a total lockup on a 4x4. I've not seen that as a factory item on a truck. It appears to be just the thing for your rock climbing expedition....

Bob
Old 09-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I'm not an expert but I have read about 4WD that provides additional sway control based on slippage, etc. (See Toyota Tundra) I assume that all new trucks offer the same technology.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
I'm not an expert but I have read about 4WD that provides additional sway control based on slippage, etc. (See Toyota Tundra) I assume that all new trucks offer the same technology.
My 4Runner has skid control. It uses the rear brakes to help stabilize the vehicle when it's starting to skid. When it was new I had a tire going flat, didn't know it. It was raining and I was exiting an expressway ramp, I made the right turn at the bottom and the back started to slide around. The skid control kicked in and straightened me out before I knew what happened.

I don't know if that's the same thing you're asking about but I would think it would work similarly. Mine is a 2004 I'm sure Toyota has added/improved technology.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Four wheel brake anit-skid has been a pretty standard feature on a lot of vehicles for quite a while. It's kind of an interesting thing. You can demonstrate that it makes the vehicle safer in a panic stop or in bad conditions. That *should* reduce accidents and the severity of those accidents. It turns out that is not the case. People quickly get used to the "extra margin" they now have and still over drive the system.

Why all the yack about something that simple?

It's a fairly common problem in other areas. People decide "I've got more margin" and go do stupid things. Big 4x4 trucks / SUV's off in the snow drifts is one result. Fancier is only better if you don't then go over do things.

One of the subtle advantages of a manual (as opposed to automatic) 4WD is that you have to consciously engage it. You reach down and turn it on / turn it off. There is a bit of feedback involved. AWD (auto 4WD) tries to think for you, that's not always the best thing ....

Bob
Old 09-15-2017, 07:27 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Take it from someone that drives on snow and ice a lot of the year. A 4WD works great in snow for traction when going the proper speed. Ice? kiss your .... good bye. Nothing works good on ice. Stay off the road; especially if pulling a AS. In fact stay off the road with AS on snow. The big issue is stopping!! I've seen so many nuts think that because they have a 4WD they can go faster only to find them in the ditch down the road. 4WD is basically there to get you going. And in deep snow it will stabilize vehicle. But ice is just crazy. There is no need to lock in 4WD on good roads. Waste of gas. It might help on wet roads some in regard to getting going. But again 4WD is there to get you going. If you start spinning etc. it isn't going to help much except get you out of the ditch easier.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
My tow vehicle has both "4 wd" and a locking rear differential. "4 wd" is in quotes because it is really 2 wd with 1 wheel on the rear and 1 on the front active. Adding a locking rear differential would make it a 3 wd. As for pulling an incline on wet grass, well slick is slick. Either 4wd or locking differential would help, but no guarantees with either. I have been in situations when my locking differential wouldn't get me out, and adding 4 wd did. Oh yeah, I have had the truck stuck before. Nothing is 100%.
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The "ideal" solution is pretty well known. You go with a vehicle with tracks on it instead of tires. Much better traction. Still useless on ice. You can find pictures of tanks spinning out of control on icy roads ....

Back from that front and rear full lockers and a locking transfer case is "next best". You now have all 4 wheels running at the same speed. Go around a corner and something has to give. Either it's the road surface or your tires. On a solid road, you can destroy a set of tires this way in an amazingly short amount of time.

If getting stuck is the concern, get a good winch on the front (and maybe another on the rear) of your TV. Spend some quality time learning what you should and should not do with it. Snapping a cable and having it take off somebodies arm .... not a good thing. Also understand the value of having a boat anchor along .... (you need something to pull against ...)

Of course there's also the time honored approach of just leaving the truck in the ditch with only the top of cab lights still poking above the grass. Seen that done more than once. Never quite sure why that's the option somebody picked ...

Lots of fun !!

Bob